The Student Room Group

Carbon Monoxide in Halls?

How silly am I to be worrying about that? I ask as I sleep next to a boiler room, quit audible as to when people are using hot water but I'm now worried it may produce CO poisining. Would the Uni (Aberdeen) be in charge of sorting that one out, or should I go buy an alarm just in case? I suffer from Health Anxiety and sadly this has worried me on and off since I was sixteen, makes me take panic attacks on me hols etc. Going away to Haven Hols caravan in July and I'm already worrying about that! I would buy an alarm but Im living on £80 a month so cant really afford it lol! :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Well if you're not dead by now, I doubt you're in any danger. I'd still get an alarm though.
Reply 2
basically my chemistry teacher told me check the boiler and if its got black soot around/on it then incomplete combustion is occuring so CO will be produced...other than that your fine

you will have to verify that so dont quote me if you die :wink:
Reply 3
The halls will be thoroughly checked for safety, especially places like the boiler room. The carbon monoxide would only be produced if it was poorly ventilated, of course they're not going to let that happen. You're probably safer there than in your home in all honesty. There are laws and safety regulations to prevent these things from happening.
Ask the university if they have an alarm, and if they don't request that one be installed.
Open your ******* window, talk to other people in your halls about it, alert it to the wardens/cleaners.

:facepalm2:
Reply 6
You can get a kind of plaque thing you stick on your wall that changes colour if it's there. Can't remember what it's called.
Reply 7
I should imagine the hall has to install alarms by law, and keep the boiler inspected regularly. It may not even be a gas boiler.

If you're still worried, I'm sure I've seen cheap little exposure patches that change colour if there's CO in the air?
If you want to worry about something, I'd be more worried about radon.
radon-linked deaths per year = 2000+
carbon monoxide = <40
It's is incredibly likely that they will have a carbon monoxide alarm installed, if not a legal requirement. But ask them anyway to ease your worries.
Reply 10

Keep your window open or buy an air freshener.
The chances of this happening are absolutely tiny. Not even worth worrying about.

Latest

Trending

Trending