The Student Room Group

American Exchange Programmes - have they stopped doing these now?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I honestly couldn't figure out the best place for it to go among all the various topics!

I'm a mature student (29) currently doing an OU course and weighing up the pros and cons of biting the bullet and starting a full-time degree in the next couple of years (probably in London or the Southeast.) In previous times I always really liked the idea of spending a year/semester in the US as part of my degree, but now that I look into this it seems as though uni's have just stopped doing them! Is this true, or am I just missing the relevant sections of the many uni websites I've been on?

I realise that the funding system is a complete mess here now (hence me having to really consider this as opposed to just going for it, which is what I really want to do) but I would be so disappointed not to even get the option of living there for a chunk of time...

Any advice gratefully received :smile:
Reply 1
heya, my uni does them, it depends what course you are doing, and if it can be funded etc.
Reply 2
A lot of universities offer placement years and a lot of the time it will be up to you where you want to spend the year/semester. You will probably have to find your own job over there (unless one is advertised by the uni or they have good links with organisations in the USA) and as long as it is reelvant to your degree course I dont' think many universities would have a problem.

I may be wrong but that's my two pence worth!
There are courses. I'm doing 'English with Study in North America' which is a three year course, but it is at Exeter.. so not where you're looking. Also, if you apply for 'American Studies' most of these courses have a year in America, although usually a four year course.. I did apply to King's to do this, but I know they closed down their undergraduate programme. I know that Sussex have American study and joint american study programmes which allow you to spend a year there.

Obviously this is entirely useless if you are wanting to study something else.
Reply 4
Im doing american studies, my uni doesnt do a year abroad but it does do a semester but you dont get help with funding unless u do single honours (which i dont :frown: )

Latest

Trending

Trending