The Student Room Group

Student finance for year abroad

Hi all - I’m looking to study in Vienna as part of my four year languages course with a year abroad. It will be my ‘third’ year.

The University of Vienna doesn’t have an exchange programme with my uni so I’d be applying as a regular student. Obviously I’d leave at the end of the year and terminate my studies and if remain a registered student at my UK uni the entire, paying the lower rate of fees to them as well as Vienna’s tuition fees out of my own pocket.

Would being a regular student ie not a free mover or exchange student affect student finance at all or is it solely contingent on me being registered at a UK uni/on an official year abroad?

Edit: lol this was supposed to go into ask SFE but the quick thread thing changed its mind last minute.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi all - I’m looking to study in Vienna as part of my four year languages course with a year abroad. It will be my ‘third’ year.

The University of Vienna doesn’t have an exchange programme with my uni so I’d be applying as a regular student. Obviously I’d leave at the end of the year and terminate my studies and I’d remain a registered student at my UK uni the entire, paying the lower rate of fees to them as well as Vienna’s tuition fees out of my own pocket.

Would being a regular student ie not a free mover or exchange student affect student finance at all or is it solely contingent on me being registered at a UK uni/on an official year abroad?

Appreciate any advice, thanks!
Original post by tinos21

The University of Vienna doesn’t have an exchange programme with my uni so I’d be applying as a regular student. Obviously I’d leave at the end of the year and terminate my studies and I’d remain a registered student at my UK uni the entire, paying the lower rate of fees to them as well as Vienna’s tuition fees out of my own pocket.

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Hi there,

So you would basically be taking a Gap Year from Student Finance England to attend the University of Vienna and then once that year is complete you would come back in the next academic year to finish your course?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 3
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

So you would basically be taking a Gap Year from Student Finance England to attend the University of Vienna and then once that year is complete you would come back in the next academic year to finish your course?

Thanks, Drew

No - I’d still be paying reduced fees to my home university as this is a compulsory year abroad. But I would simultaneously be a fully registered student in Vienna, rather than an exchange student.
Original post by tinos21
No - I’d still be paying reduced fees to my home university as this is a compulsory year abroad. But I would simultaneously be a fully registered student in Vienna, rather than an exchange student.

Hi there,

You would still be eligible to apply for Student Finance England and you would just tell us that you would be abroad for the 3 terms of then course. You may not be eligible for the Travel Grant as your university as your university is not linked to the University of Vienna.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 5
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

You would still be eligible to apply for Student Finance England and you would just tell us that you would be abroad for the 3 terms of then course. You may not be eligible for the Travel Grant as your university as your university is not linked to the University of Vienna.

Thanks, Drew

That’s brilliant to hear thanks so much!!
Original post by tinos21
That’s brilliant to hear thanks so much!!

Hi there,

You're welcome. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending