The Student Room Group

Is studying Psychology worth it?

Hello, I am planning to study BSC psychology degree but not sure which universities are good for studying psychology and is it worth it as I am interested in human mind and behaviour?

thanks,
Reply 1
Original post by Fatimamashal306
Hello, I am planning to study BSC psychology degree but not sure which universities are good for studying psychology and is it worth it as I am interested in human mind and behaviour?

thanks,

It is only worth it if you enjoy the subject, and/or have a specific interest in the field. Regarding universities, if i were you id choose a course that is BPS accredited and one that is in an area you like and a style of teaching you enjoy. These last factors will vary hugely depending on the individual, so you really need to do your own research and play to your strengths.

Take care,

Greg

thanks,

@Fatimanashal306
Hello! I've just completed by MSc in Psychology, it does depend on what you mean by 'worth it'

Certainly a social science subject will expand your mind and how you look at the work. There are progression opportunities to go into teaching, social work (both with additional training), many private sector companies love psychology students on their graduate programs, and you could train to be a clinical or educational psychologist

The only major pitfall is you need to do doctorate level study to be the latter too and there are often limited opportunities to climb the way to the top and it can be very expensive to do so.

The key thing is to make sure your degree is accredited by the British Psychological Society, like the one at Arden is

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Hi Fatima

I currently study psychology (as a minor) at Northeastern University London.
You say you’re interested in human mind and behaviour which is exactly the right incentive to start studying psychology. At least for myself, I found myself drawn to psychology so that I could understand myself and the people around me better. It’s a social science, so it does explain social issues in a scientific manner which helps to de-mystify the mind/ psyche.
If I may ask, have you considered a further career in this field? A lot of people choose their subject based solely on interest so don’t worry if not.
As for good universities, of course I’m bias because I go there but Northeastern London offers BA (Hons) Psychology, and as well as the university being in small and student-centred in central London, the course offers you opportunity to study abroad at the much bigger American campuses too in Boston and New York (which I think is a great opportunity). Other good universities I can think of are UCL and Birbeck.

Also, do you have any particular interests in the field psychology?

thanks,

Good evening!

Psychology is definitely a fascinating subject to study. It is also a really good degree if you are unsure what you would like to do in the future. There are so many different sectors that value people with a degree in psychology - business, sport, policing, education etc.

A good starting point is a BPS accredited degree. This accreditation will enhance your employment prospects and opportunites for further study. If you are looking for a university in the North, we have an accredited BSc Psychology course at Lancaster. We are a top 10 uni, and our Psychology department also ranks highly. We offer a Psychology Employability Scheme where you could work in one of our labs to look at the human mind and behaviour!

Hope this has helped! Let me know if you want to know any more about Lancaster.
Holly B
(Lancaster Psychology Student Ambassador)

thanks,

Hiya! 😀

I am currently in my third year of Psychology at De Montfort University (DMU) in Leicester. If I am about to conclude my studies in one sentence, I would tell you that every day, I am grateful for the choice I have made. That is because I not only wanted to learn theory about the human mind and behaviour, but I also wanted to gain relevant professional experience that would equip me with practical skills. I could do both and even much more owing to DMU.

The course is accredited by BPS, which is very important if you want to become a certified Psychologist one day. It offers you a placement year or a student exchange year. I chose to study abroad this year. Therefore, I am in Spain doing my chosen psychological subjects and fulfilling my travel dreams. Above all, every year, there are opportunities to do psychological internships. These include part-time options alongside your studies or summer full-time roles.

I only mentioned my favourite gems. There is more than that. You will learn more from my recent article about why I would choose to study Psychology at DMU again and from the Psychology section on the DMU website. I will be more than happy to share more insight with you if needed!

I hope you will find it helpful 😉 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 🙂 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
I suggest looking for universities with a strong placement programme, a reputation for good teaching, and staff researching the topics you are interested in. And make sure their degree programme is accredited by the BPS.

If you want to become, say, a teacher, then you can pursue a degree in any subject you like. Otherwise, pursuing a degree in psychology is worth it only if you want a career in psychology.

You should also ask yourself what you mean when you say you are "interested" in psychology. Interest can mean anything from "I want to be a professor of psychology" to "I think it might be nice to read a book about psychology".
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest