The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I have seen people with pretty mediocre A*AAAABBBC sorts get in, but to really help your cause you want straight A's and A*'s.
Reply 2
exrdviglij;opk
isn't it a levels that matter more, you could not do so well in gcse's and get really good a levels
Reply 4
Around 6 A* or more is a good start
Reply 5
jamz0770
Well I have seen people with pretty mediocre A*AAAABBBC sorts get in, but to really help your cause you want straight A's and A*'s.

For a pretty good shot at an offer Im assuming u need 7+ A* and not a single B? But isnt this for most medical schools?
Reply 6
Maxine_johson
isn't it a levels that matter more, you could not do so well in gcse's and get really good a levels

True, but the top unis take into account everything to separate candidates
How about "as high as you can get"?
Reply 8
TBH just get whatever you're capable of. No point saying "I'm gonna aim for 6A*s" when you're taking 10 GCSEs for example. Aim to do the best you can in all your subjects, then you won't be disappointed with whatever you get.
Reply 9
These statistics are made up, but they represent a SORT OF general consensus:

70% - mostly A*s with maybe one to three A
20% - mixture of A*s and As
8% - one or two A*s with As and maybe one or two Bs
2% - a lot of As and some Bs (although really a C is really pushing it)
Oxford use your % of A* at GCSE against your BMAT score, and obviously the higher your %, the better your chances.
Cambridge are a bit different, and I've seen people with quite low GCSEs get an interview, but the higher the results, the better.
You should aim for the best results you can, but try not to get too hung up on Oxbridge.
Good luck
EierVonSatan
It's a complicated and mixed picture - just do the best you can and apply if you do well at A-level.

I know for dentistry its mostly about A-levels but do u have a rough idea for GCSEs for unis such as KCL or Glasgow
Reply 12
dont be a ****, get as many as you can there is no magic number so to speak!
Reply 13
It depends on the subject, but because you want to do medicine, I would say 7A*s +.

It matters less for other subjects.
*What GCSEs should i be aiming for for Oxbridge. If we're being pedantic :-)
The English Kiwi
*What GCSEs should i be aiming for for Oxbridge. If we're being pedantic :-)

Yeah I know this but I typed the thing i about 3 seconds I dont really have time to constantly check my grammar on internet posts
A* in the core subjects (double science, english lit and lang, math etc) and A's in the mediorcre ones (as you can get away with that).
Reply 17
I know a cambridge medicine admissions tutor and apparently they don't even waste their time reading applications of students with less than 6A*s.
Javindo
These statistics are made up, but they represent a SORT OF general consensus:

70% - mostly A*s with maybe one to three A
20% - mixture of A*s and As
8% - one or two A*s with As and maybe one or two Bs
2% - a lot of As and some Bs (although really a C is really pushing it)

Where is the statistic for us strange people with A*s, As, Bs AND Cs (yes, more than one believe it or not)? :eek:

(Unless you were talking about just Medicine in which case, ignore me).
Reply 19
Just do as well as you can. There's no set number of A*s you need, but obviously you want to stand out as much as possible, so try to get as many A*s as you can IMO.

Latest

Trending

Trending