The Student Room Group

A2 biology help required....krebs cycle etc..

hey tsr just wanted the answers to two homework questions....i dont understand them at all! if i could have the answers it would put my mind to rest....been trying for ages!

1) describe the role of reduced nad when respiration takes place in aerobic condition (3 marks)

2) explain why the yield of ATP from the respiration of one molecule of glucose when oxygen is present is more than the yield of ATP from the respiration of one molecule of glucose under anaerobic conditions (5 marks)

Thanks , will give + rep tomorrow to whoever helps :smile:
Reply 1
reduced NAD provides 2H+ and 2e- for the electron transport chain allowing chemiosmosis and so atp synthesis
just thinking about the other one a bit
Reply 2
LeChat
reduced NAD provides 2H+ and 2e- for the electron transport chain allowing chemiosmosis and so atp synthesis
just thinking about the other one a bit

Wow, when I did A2 biology last year, I never came across the term 'chemiosmosis' :confused:
What is it?
Reply 3
oh, if you have no oxygen then link and krebs both stop as the ETC cannot function without oxygen (it's oxidative phosphorylation), and the ETC is where most of the atp is formed
therefore anaerobic respiration occurs forming lactant/lactic acid from pyruvate, the end product of glycolysis, which in itslef produces no atp but it reoxidises the reduced NAD to NAD, so glycolysis can continue producing a net 2 atp molecules per glucose molecule:smile:
hope it helps :biggrin:
thecdon
hey tsr just wanted the answers to two homework questions....i dont understand them at all! if i could have the answers it would put my mind to rest....been trying for ages!

1) describe the role of reduced nad when respiration takes place in aerobic condition (3 marks)

2) explain why the yeild of ATP from the respiration of one molecule of glucose when oxygen is present is more than the yield of ATP from the respiration of one molecule of glucose under aerobic conditions (5 marks)

Eh?
Oxygen present? Aerobic conditions? Same thing no?
Reply 5
Hippysnake
Eh?
Oxygen present? Aerobic conditions? Same thing no?

apologies! ANaerobic conditions!
Reply 6
IheartASOS
Wow, when I did A2 biology last year, I never came across the term 'chemiosmosis' :confused:
What is it?

um i think its when the H+ ions move through the stalked particle: its the movement of ions down a concentration gradient through a partially permeable membrane blah blah...?
LeChat
um i think its when the H+ ions move through the stalked particle: its the movement of ions down a concentration gradient through a partially permeable membrane blah blah...?

like osmosis but with chemicals instead
thecdon
apologies! ANaerobic conditions!

In which case, the only ATP made under anaerobic conditions is the two from glycolysis, as the NADH can't progress to the electron transport chain due to lack of O2. Hence, the vast reserves of potential energy are not harvested and instead, NADH reduced Pyruvate into one of Lactate/Ethanol+CO2.
Reply 9
Hippysnake
In which case, the only ATP made under anaerobic conditions is the two from glycolysis, as the NADH can't progress to the electron transport chain due to lack of O2. Hence, the vast reserves of potential energy are not harvested and instead, NADH reduced Pyruvate into one of Lactate/Ethanol+CO2.

thanks, but this won't get 5 marks will it? i have no idea how its possible to get 5 marks for this q.
Reply 10
LeChat

Oh of course, just realised the name is pretty self-explanatory! Silly me :rolleyes:
Hi there, i could have posted all the answers but... i gotta rush might miss my bus sorry, here i recommend you this thread for all your F214 needs :wink:.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23409488#post23409488 <--- clicky
Reply 12
ibysaiyan
Hi there, i could have posted all the answers but... i gotta rush might miss my bus sorry, here i recommend you this thread for all your F214 needs :wink:.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23409488#post23409488 <--- clicky

im doing edexcel¬ :smile:
thecdon
im doing edexcel¬ :smile:

Oh! gotcha ,sorry lol.
Reply 14
thecdon

2) explain why the yield of ATP from the respiration of one molecule of glucose when oxygen is present is more than the yield of ATP from the respiration of one molecule of glucose under anaerobic conditions (5 marks)

Absolute jewboy!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending