The Student Room Group

Why do people hate bankers so much?

Surely you wouldn't hate them so much if you were one of them?

If it was you earning the bonus it would be good right? :wink: Anyone else and it is because they are 'greedy'.

We don't even know what they spend their money on so why do we have the right to criticise it?
People become all interested in a recession when they themselves are poor and don't want to accept that there are people out there still doing well for themselves?
Why should they spend their bonuses/redundancy payments on helping us get out the recession when it's their money?

No one in my family is a banker or anything...just don't understand all the stick they get. Something inside tells me it all goes back to the jealousy/money thing.

Scroll to see replies

I don't hate bankers. I don't understand why everyone does either tbh, but I think that relates back to my Conservative 'work for yourself' views.

If I was earning a bonus that big and the entire population of the country were telling me what to do with it I would tell them where to shove it.
I don't understand all the hate against bonuses. When you apply for a job as a 'banker' you get given a salary plus a bonus at either a fixed amount or % of profit etc. It's just tax evasion. This idea that bonuses should be scrapped is dumb.
Reply 3
bingobongo

If it was you earning the bonus it would be good right? :wink: Anyone else and it is because they are 'greedy'.

We don't even know what they spend their money on so why do we have the right to criticise it?
People become all interested in a recession when they themselves are poor and don't want to accept that there are people out there still doing well for themselves?
Why should they spend their bonuses/redundancy payments on helping us get out the recession when it's their money?

No one in my family is a banker or anything...just don't understand all the stick they get. Something inside tells me it all goes back to the jealousy/money thing.

I don't even hate them. But I know someone is going to say this, so i thought I might as well. This is referring to the bolded part: because we spend our money helping them get out of the recession.
Reply 4
because they dont offer fair amounts on deal or no deal
Jealousy of their salaries, and the media using them as a scapegoat for the recent recession.
Reply 6
Pork and Beans
Jealousy of their salaries, and the media using them as a scapegoat for the recent recession.

Should we be blaming the dustmen then?
Mc'Lovin
I don't even hate them. But I know someone is going to say this, so i thought I might as well. This is referring to the bolded part: because we spend our money helping them get out of the recession.

We pay taxes as well though, which is a lot more than the average household... Bankers didn't ask anyone to sacrifice their salary, only government money, which is what people are doing to bankers by asking them to stop their bonuses which is basically their income.
Oh I don't know, maybe because they contributed to the disintegration of the economy, ensured billions of taxpayers' money was spent on their job security and yet continue to recieve astronomically huge bonuses? Hmm ...
Reply 9
bingobongo

because people like to take out loans and mortgages theyll never be able to afford and then moan when there is a recession. Unable to blame themselves and unable to comprehend that it is a WORLDWIDE recession, they blame it on bankers who are obviously "stupid and greedy" for wanting high paying jobs and who have studied at some of the countreis finest higher educational systems.
Reply 10
Just jelousy. People who want bonuses to be scrapped don't understand that bankers are dealing with huge sums of money so ofcource they are going to get a nice bonuse. :rolleyes:
Pork and Beans

Well, the global financial world didn't implode because of a teacher in inner London, now, did it?
Reply 12
fox_the_fix
We pay taxes as well though, which is a lot more than the average household... Bankers didn't ask anyone to sacrifice their salary, only government money, which is what people are doing to bankers by asking them to stop their bonuses which is basically their income.

No, their salary is their income. They get £35000 average. That is more than enough.
Because success must be punished.
Mc'Lovin
No, their salary is their income.

No.. My step dad's an investment banker..
He takes his salary + bonus.
Bonus is significantly larger than the salary, bonuses exist because government doesn't claim tax on it. If the gov banned bonuses his salary would increase significantly (by the amount of the bonus).

The total income = bonus + salary
The book income = salary
az1992
because people like to take out loans and mortgages theyll never be able to afford and then moan when there is a recession. Unable to blame themselves and unable to comprehend that it is a WORLDWIDE recession, they blame it on bankers who are obviously "stupid and greedy" for wanting high paying jobs and who have studied at some of the countreis finest higher educational systems.

Who gives a **** where they studied? I don't doubt that people taking on debt they can't afford is stupid, but bankers packaging such debts so that they look attractive and can be sold to said people is also bloody stupid. So don't tell me that bankers shouldn't be resented when they knew that they were dealing with a ticking bomb.
Olivia_Lightbulb
Oh I don't know, maybe because they contributed to the disintegration of the economy, ensured billions of taxpayers' money was spent on their job security and yet continue to recieve astronomically huge bonuses? Hmm ...

Jealousy is strong with this one :vader: If we blame the bankers we should blame all those homeowners who took out mortgages knowing full well they couldnt pay off.
Their dickheads, recieved an annoying letter today hate them right now:mad:
scotttb
because they dont offer fair amounts on deal or no deal

:lol:
uthinkilltellu
Because success must be punished.

Can you honestly look at the global economy and say it's a success?

Many bankers across the world's most powerful investment banks were blinded by greed. They took the option that would generate the most profit in the boom times, and forgot that a bust inevitably follows. Now millions of workers are paying the price whilst most bankers can just carry on as usual thanks to government bailouts.

Very simply, the crisis has highlighted how unprincipled and shambolic the global financial system is. It needs to be changed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending