The Student Room Group

Looking for UK universities that offer Business + Philosophy

Looking for universities offering Business + Philosophy

As the title says, I'm looking for universities in the UK that allow students to study a combination of Business (management, analytics, anything along those lines) and Philosophy. I initially planned to study pure Philosophy but was recently advised against it, as it is quite risky and not very employable.

I know major/minor systems and joint degrees don't seem very common in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong), but I have heard of some places offering those systems. I know St. Andrews offers a Management and Philosophy BA for example, but I'm not sure if the same is possible at places like King's or UCL.

I would really appreciate it if anyone took the time to explain the systems to me or recommend me some places offering a Business + Philosophy combination. Thank you!
Original post by amogsussy

As the title says, I'm looking for universities in the UK that allow students to study a combination of Business (management, analytics, anything along those lines) and Philosophy. I initially planned to study pure Philosophy but was recently advised against it, as it is quite risky and not very employable.

I know major/minor systems and joint degrees don't seem very common in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong), but I have heard of some places offering those systems. I know St. Andrews offers a Management and Philosophy BA for example, but I'm not sure if the same is possible at places like King's or UCL.

I would really appreciate it if anyone took the time to explain the systems to me or recommend me some places offering a Business + Philosophy combination. Thank you!

Exeter offer a flexible combined honours course where you can combine most subjects. Have a look into that.
Reply 2
Are you from the UK?

If you're particularly interested in UCL have a look at their BASc in arts and sciences. Your combination is in the specification.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/arts-and-sciences-basc
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Exeter offer a flexible combined honours course where you can combine most subjects. Have a look into that.

Thank you, I will!
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Are you from the UK?

No, but I am an international student who plans to study there.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
If you're particularly interested in UCL have a look at their BASc in arts and sciences. Your combination is in the specification.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/arts-and-sciences-basc

Thank you!
Reply 7
Have a look at degrees with a flexible subject choice - called 'Liberal Studies' , 'Flexible Honours', 'Combined Honours'.
Each Uni that offers this sort of course will have different subjects combinations available - and you may have to do more that just these two subjects. They are not an obvious subject combinations - so you are not likely to find this as a straightforward 'joint subject' at many Unis.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
Have a look at degrees with a flexible subject choice - called 'Liberal Studies' , 'Flexible Honours', 'Combined Honours'.
Each Uni that offers this sort of course will have different subjects combinations available - and you may have to do more that just these two subjects. They are not an obvious subject combinations - so you are not likely to find this as a straightforward 'joint subject' at many Unis.

Thank you! Is there any way I can search for specific universities that offer this, and will it be more employable than majoring in Philosophy alone?
Reply 9
There is no graduate job that requires a degree in Philosophy.
Reply 10
Philosophy graduates are very employable, the stats are always consistently good when compared to other non-vocational degree programmes. Whoever 'advised' you otherwise does not have anything approaching a clue.
Reply 11
No, but I am an international student who plans to study there.

ok - were you in the UK I would suggest that philosophy degrees are perfectly good for employability. This may not apply depending on where you are from and would study on graduation.
Reply 12
There is no graduate job that requires a degree in Philosophy.

In that case, may I ask what the case is for jobs or internships while I am studying? I might go for an MBA after my undergraduate studies and would like to build as much work experience as possible, but I might not be as competitive as a candidate compared to those who take more "employable" majors.
Reply 13
Original post by gjd800
Philosophy graduates are very employable, the stats are always consistently good when compared to other non-vocational degree programmes. Whoever 'advised' you otherwise does not have anything approaching a clue.

Interesting! I always heard the stereotype of philosophy majors being unemployed, but I wasn't sure if that holds water in the UK. May I ask what jobs they commonly take?
Reply 14
Original post by ajj2000
ok - were you in the UK I would suggest that philosophy degrees are perfectly good for employability. This may not apply depending on where you are from and would study on graduation.

I do plan to return to my home country, but not before I gain some work experience in the UK. In that case, would being an international student change anything?
Reply 15
Interesting! I always heard the stereotype of philosophy majors being unemployed, but I wasn't sure if that holds water in the UK. May I ask what jobs they commonly take?

It's nonsense and has been basically forever. It has never really been true in the UK.

It's hard to answer the question because the work sectors are so varied, as with most rigorous, non-vocational programmes. I have had students go into the civil service, government policy, I know one lad who is an advisor to the current administration and two more who work for Labour doing a similar role, loads go over to law and into tech startups, journalism, generic grad roles in the big companies. There is no one answer, which is why old tropes like 'ew, unemployable' are so silly.

Doing well at a degree programme and making full use of internship opportunities, work experience, voluntary roles and so on is key to making time spent at university a success. Subject is almost secondary in these regards unless you want to be a medic, engineer, or investment banker.
Reply 16
I do plan to return to my home country, but not before I gain some work experience in the UK. In that case, would being an international student change anything?

Well - depends a bit on what you mean by work experience. Waiting tables? Working McDonalds? Supermarket? Plenty of opportunities while you do a degree. For career related work its much, much harder to get opportunities without the right to work in the UK. Don't believe people who are overselling the glories of the 2 year visa.
Reply 17
Simple question - why are you bothering to combine anything with a Business degree.

If thats the sector you want to work in then just do a Business degree - with a placement to give you invaluable work experience for your CV. If you are just 'interested in Philosophy', then you dont need 'a course' in it - just read.
Reply 18
Simple question - why are you bothering to combine anything with a Business degree.

If thats the sector you want to work in then just do a Business degree - with a placement to give you invaluable work experience for your CV. If you are just 'interested in Philosophy', then you dont need 'a course' in it - just read.

I'd say considering a major in Philosophy is more of a personal choice because I want a platform to learn Philosophy beyond the limits of what I can learn alone and beyond what my home country can offer me. I also thought combining Business with Philosophy would give me an "edge" and enhance some of my transferable skills, not to mention the generally high GMAT score of Philosophy majors, though I'm not sure that would be worth the effort of doing the combination.

I don't have any particular passion for Business, so I don't think I'd have much to write on my personal statement and fear I might end up hating college if I pursue Business alone. For employability reasons in my home country, I might consider following your suggestion, though. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending