The Student Room Group

Am I being really stupid or...

I'm trying to sort out my Student Loan Application for next year, and, given that I still have difficulty subtracting, it's proving a little more difficult than I expected.

I've spoken to some of my friends, who have all filled in their forms, and said I should do the same. I posted something on the General University board, and Helenia advised me to complete them ASAP, otherwise I'd be eligible to pay the full 10,000 quid!

I'm Scottish, and so must apply through the SAAS (our equiv. of an LEA, I think). I have an AAA offer from Exeter College, Oxford, and a BBC insurance from Bristol, for Modern Languages.

On the form, it asks you where you're going next year (and it doesn't mention anything about this being provisional or anything on the form), to which I initially answered 'Oxford', although that felt faaaaaar too much like tempting fate. Later on, it asked for what my address would be while at uni.
I looked at the closing date for submitting the form and it said June 30th 2006!! I can't understand why the closing date is so late (assuming I haven't completely flipped - not an entirely safe assumption). I also can't understand why they wouldn't say anything about conditional offers. Some of my friends who have already completed it have conditional offers (although there's are much lower than mine and they will be living at home during term time).

I don't know anyone who's moving south for university this year, and I can't understand how this system works. I don't even know what i'm applying for; the website says, cryptically, I'm applying for "support", whatever the f*ck that is. I don't know if this is what you apply for so you don't pay tuition fees (which you don't pay in Scotland, and which my parents earn enough for anyway), or if it's a loan, or if I just have to register with this infernal complicated service anyway (I vaguely remember getting a letter with my offer instructing me to register with someone , so I wouldn't have to pay a huge, additional college fee. Typically, I have since misplaced the letter.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm rambling on about? Any help, much appreciated

WFH?
Reply 1
WhatFreshHell?
I'm trying to sort out my Student Loan Application for next year, and, given that I still have difficulty subtracting, it's proving a little more difficult than I expected.

I've spoken to some of my friends, who have all filled in their forms, and said I should do the same. I posted something on the General University board, and Helenia advised me to complete them ASAP, otherwise I'd be eligible to pay the full 10,000 quid!

I'm Scottish, and so must apply through the SAAS (our equiv. of an LEA, I think). I have an AAA offer from Exeter College, Oxford, and a BBC insurance from Bristol, for Modern Languages.

On the form, it asks you where you're going next year (and it doesn't mention anything about this being provisional or anything on the form), to which I initially answered 'Oxford', although that felt faaaaaar too much like tempting fate. Later on, it asked for what my address would be while at uni.
I looked at the closing date for submitting the form and it said June 30th 2006!! I can't understand why the closing date is so late (assuming I haven't completely flipped - not an entirely safe assumption). I also can't understand why they wouldn't say anything about conditional offers. Some of my friends who have already completed it have conditional offers (although there's are much lower than mine and they will be living at home during term time).

I don't know anyone who's moving south for university this year, and I can't understand how this system works. I don't even know what i'm applying for; the website says, cryptically, I'm applying for "support", whatever the f*ck that is. I don't know if this is what you apply for so you don't pay tuition fees (which you don't pay in Scotland, and which my parents earn enough for anyway), or if it's a loan, or if I just have to register with this infernal complicated service anyway (I vaguely remember getting a letter with my offer instructing me to register with someone , so I wouldn't have to pay a huge, additional college fee. Typically, I have since misplaced the letter.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm rambling on about? Any help, much appreciated

WFH?

yeh, those forms are a pain in the arse. there is nothing anywhere to explain what they're on about, is there?

helenia is right, though, you do have to apply soon, regardless of the closing date, otherwise you won't get your loan at the beginning of the university term. i'm not entirely sure what you'd have to apply for, but i applied for a loan and also something else - a grant or support. i think you have to apply for the latter in order to be eligible for your LEA to pay most of your tuition fees (so you only have to pay the standard £1200ish), although you won't get further subsidisation unless you are from a low income household. i basically ticked all the boxes that i thought might apply (ie, the ones that weren't about child support or disabilities) and my loan seems to have been sorted.

as for tempting fate - you aren't the only one. every single person who has an offer from oxford will be doing the same thing (i, too, have a conditional offer from oxford, so i know what you mean). you just need to find the address of your college (it'll be on letter headers from the college) - should be something along the lines of exeter college, ...... street, oxford, OX...... - so not too tricky.

i know the website and the booklets are useless - the best advice i can give you is to ask your parents; a lot of it is income assessment and stuff, which they will need to fill in. my mum (who is good with finances and stuff) helped me to fill mine in and it seems to have worked!
Reply 2
Have you been sent next years form by mistake?
viviki
Have you been sent next years form by mistake?

I have actually done that once by accident! :redface: The institution I was applying to was nice enough to tell me, and they did not require me to fill out a form again.:cool:

Hope you have the best of luck with your paperwork!
Reply 4
if you already have an offer then ur deadline wdve been June of THIS year.
Reply 5
I'm a Scottish student at Oxford... The SAAS website homepage should say:

You can apply on-line for your fees and living-costs support for 2005-2006

Take the link, and fill out the forms, that's what I did... but the deadline for support was the end of June, so you might have to phone them (don't email, they won't reply, trust me!). And yeh, I know it's hard to put down Oxford when you don't have the grades, but if you end up going to your insurance then all it will take it a quick phone call to sort it out.

Hope you get it sorted... forms are such a hassle!
Reply 6
Waldo
if you already have an offer then ur deadline wdve been June of THIS year.

Not exactly. You can still apply, you just may not receive your loan at the beginning of the first term.

Latest

Trending

Trending