The Student Room Group

Contextual offers

I just find this system absolutely ********, I know people who earn above my parents total combined wage from just one of their one parent, and how my area is 20 seconds away from my friends, I am not eligible but they are. I shouldly part blame my council for the last part.

I'm just ****ed off, not that fact that I have to work harder, but because it's suppose to be given to people who are actually poor,the system is so exploitable.

My friends house was being renovated, so he specifically rented a house in a disadvantaged area, which is eligible for contextual, despite being in a prominently well off area.

yeah rant over twice off
Oh tell me about it, it’s a very flawed system. I haven’t really looked into it a lot, and i’ve relied on college courses for my entry requirements, so it’s never really affected me, but I remember when saas (scottish funding) applications were happening, I would know people who lived with one parent who didn’t make a lot and got bursaries and a higher loan, but their other parent would buy them things, pay for their car, has since bought them flats, things like that. People from my school got contextual entry requirements because they lived in another part of town, but I couldn’t despite going to the same school. I feel your frustration
Reply 2
Original post by mothdoll
Oh tell me about it, it’s a very flawed system. I haven’t really looked into it a lot, and i’ve relied on college courses for my entry requirements, so it’s never really affected me, but I remember when saas (scottish funding) applications were happening, I would know people who lived with one parent who didn’t make a lot and got bursaries and a higher loan, but their other parent would buy them things, pay for their car, has since bought them flats, things like that. People from my school got contextual entry requirements because they lived in another part of town, but I couldn’t despite going to the same school. I feel your frustration

Contextual offers dont just mean where you live and how much your parents earn. There are more and many other factors
Reply 3
Original post by Kayamarie1
Contextual offers dont just mean where you live and how much your parents earn. There are more and many other factors

Duh, but from our experiences, it is clearly a very big variable on why they get it.

Legit, my friend rented his house specifically in a **** area to get access to sheffield reduced grade, when his house is getting renovated.

The other factors don't matter in my basis, since I have a mate whose net income is less than 20k. But is not accessible for contextual.

whatever you say
I lived in an awful area and 2 mins from my friend he’s super contextual but I’m not wtf
Reply 5
Original post by Sadman123
Duh, but from our experiences, it is clearly a very big variable on why they get it.

Legit, my friend rented his house specifically in a **** area to get access to sheffield reduced grade, when his house is getting renovated.

The other factors don't matter in my basis, since I have a mate whose net income is less than 20k. But is not accessible for contextual.

whatever you say

From the orginal post it seemed like you were angry because someone is getting chances and opportunities. good for them. stay bitter. it seemed like you were upset because they got hooked and you didnt. tough luck. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: you can cry about it all you want.

Whilst I do agree it is unfair that he was just renting it, you could call it sheer luck. work smarter not harder.

I know its unfair but that orginal post is inconsiderate to the people who really need it. PS, blaming your council on that part made no sense whtsover, because unis dont only look at the place where you live but they also look at the percentage of progression of how many people from that area persue uni. So even if you are in a build up area, very rich and elegant, but not many people from that area go to uni, you can be eligible.

I didnt actually reply to your post i replied to mothdoll threa " we lived in differnt parts in town but we went to the same school" well thats the whole point of it?

I feel like a lot of people are misinformed and are led to believe that everyone that gets it is because of where they live. WHICH IS STILL A VALID FACTOR.

Unfortuantely you cant do anything about the fact that place where you live is a factor is contextual offers. Also, a lot of unis have a few bullet points which you have to meet before being considered not just 1.

I drive an Audi, i live in a decent house, im quite well of, yet im eligible for contextual offer. Dont judge someone just because they have money they may have have other factors included :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 6
From the orginal post it seemed like you were angry because someone is getting chances and opportunities. good for them. stay bitter. it seemed like you were upset because they got hooked and you didnt. tough luck. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: you can cry about it all you want.

Whilst I do agree it is unfair that he was just renting it, you could call it sheer luck. work smarter not harder.

I know its unfair but that orginal post is inconsiderate to the people who really need it. PS, blaming your council on that part made no sense whtsover, because unis dont only look at the place where you live but they also look at the percentage of progression of how many people from that area persue uni. So even if you are in a build up area, very rich and elegant, but not many people from that area go to uni, you can be eligible.

I didnt actually reply to your post i replied to mothdoll threa " we lived in differnt parts in town but we went to the same school" well thats the whole point of it?

I feel like a lot of people are misinformed and are led to believe that everyone that gets it is because of where they live. WHICH IS STILL A VALID FACTOR.

Unfortuantely you cant do anything about the fact that place where you live is a factor is contextual offers. Also, a lot of unis have a few bullet points which you have to meet before being considered not just 1.

I drive an Audi, i live in a decent house, im quite well of, yet im eligible for contextual offer. Dont judge someone just because they have money they may have have other factors included :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I am only bitter of the fact that people in my school whom are rich are getting it, I don't really need it, I just find the system quite stupid.

A scheme for social mobility, of course the system, is not perfect, and you're missing my point. I am just stating the fact, the system is imperfect.

Why would I be bitter over a grade reduction? I know full well what I am capable of, I do 4 STEM subjects, that has it perks of reducing the overall grades. But I find it stupid, let me reiterate stupid, my friends and family, my girlfriend live; no ****, 10 seconds away from me by walk, yet are automatically eligible.

My friends said to my face: "you don't need it, you might be poor, but you're smart"

I guess it's the fact I am bitter is that I go to a better sixth form, where most of the people are rich, upper middle class, they don't really need it.

Also, I am eligible for certain universities, I just don't wanna go to those universities.

Also, what model Audi? You didn't state the model, I need to make a consensus.

Also, what's with the emojis, and why you so pressed?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7

I've met people that live in council houses, with better grades in math than you. Jeez, use your brain, and don't act on a whim.

Quick Reply

Latest