The Student Room Group

Feeling unheard in group work

So, I am in my final year at university and for my of my modules we have to work in a group, and our mark for the module depends on how well our group work is (it’s 15 credits and runs across both semesters).

Well my group are essentially night owls and want to constantly meet at 9/10pm and work until 2/3am. That doesn’t work for me and another member as I have had some bad experiences (almost missed an exam, missed a important meeting and have been late to many events as I stifle waking up if I don’t get enough sleep, as in I don’t hear my alarm) staying up stupidly late on a regular basis and the other member has to wake up early. We have both tried to address this issue with our group but constantly get ignored. Also if I don’t turn up to the meetings I will get 0 in the module.

The excuse is we do engineering, what were you expecting. Don’t get me wrong I know it’s a lot of work and I have been putting the effort into my course but I would prefer meeting at a reasonable hour. I find that they prefer to have a social life during the day and do work at night, not my problem but I would prefer group work during a sensible time.

Anyway, how I need some help going about this issue. I feel like it’s a bit of a stupid one to talk to the lecturer about.
Reply 1
Also, I don’t mind staying up late if we have something due in, it’s just staying up like 2/3 times a week.
I agree with you this isn't an expectation that can be met. The 'we're engineers' excuse is ridiculous, presumably you and the other person are also engineers, clearly it's not a requirement to be nocturnal.

How big is the group? What proportion do you and the other person fill? If it's a particularly large group, moving to another group may be the best option.

I don't think this is a stupid thing to talk to the lecturer about. There is a fundamental schedule clash. But talk to the rest of the group and make it clear that unless they're able to compromise you will need to get outside assistance. You have a schedule clash. You have things to do in the morning that require you to not be nocturnal.

It's not even that they're trying to compromise, they are routinely planning to work at stupid hours. You and the other person have other commitments. That alternative commitment being sleep.
what sort of project is it you're working on? Didn't you divide up tasks between you during your first meetings and project planning? If you and the other person who doesn't want to work all night are both allocated to the same area of the project then you can work parallel with the group, catch up with the rest of the group at 9-10pm to let them know what you've done and the current status and then the rest can do their parts of the project overnight if they want.
Original post by Anonymous #1
So, I am in my final year at university and for my of my modules we have to work in a group, and our mark for the module depends on how well our group work is (it’s 15 credits and runs across both semesters).

Well my group are essentially night owls and want to constantly meet at 9/10pm and work until 2/3am. That doesn’t work for me and another member as I have had some bad experiences (almost missed an exam, missed a important meeting and have been late to many events as I stifle waking up if I don’t get enough sleep, as in I don’t hear my alarm) staying up stupidly late on a regular basis and the other member has to wake up early. We have both tried to address this issue with our group but constantly get ignored. Also if I don’t turn up to the meetings I will get 0 in the module.

The excuse is we do engineering, what were you expecting. Don’t get me wrong I know it’s a lot of work and I have been putting the effort into my course but I would prefer meeting at a reasonable hour. I find that they prefer to have a social life during the day and do work at night, not my problem but I would prefer group work during a sensible time.

Anyway, how I need some help going about this issue. I feel like it’s a bit of a stupid one to talk to the lecturer about.

Hey!

Definitely agree with the advice you've already had above. You could also always suggest meeting slightly earlier (e.g. 6 pm-10 pm?) as it's unfair that 2 of you in the group are unable to meet because of their adjusted schedules. Or, as suggested above, do your part of the work separately and check in at the start of their meeting. I would say unless they're willing to meet slightly earlier, it is definitely worth speaking to the lecturer about it as they will be the only ones who the rest of your group may listen to.

Best of luck with everything and hope it all gets sorted!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this. Perhaps you could just suggest a meeting a little earlier and say that you won't work later than a certain time (e.g. 11 pm). This really isn't unreasonable and it's rude of them to expect you to work into the night just because that's their preference. I assume that your module leaders would agree with this so, if you have too much trouble, it may be worth mentioning to them.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Hello,

I am sorry you are struggling with this.

I myself am NOT a night-owl and I actually can't really concentrate past 11. I agree with all the advice given above, try to split the tasks into two parts, one for you and your collague who prefer to work early on in the day and one part for your other colleagues.

Don't be afraid to speak to your tutor or even student support in your union, they might offer you different adice or switch your group.

Best of Luck,
Haya- MBBS 5

I definitely don’t think this is a stupid thing to bring up to the lecturer! If you’re having a hard time getting them to listen to you and the other group member, then the next best thing is escalating it further. You’re not being dramatic, this impacts your grades too

Hope this helps!

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

It can be hard doing group work, especially when you don't know the people that well that you're working with.

I think that this sounds quite unreasonable for them to expect you to meet at this time every time you have a meeting! I'm not a night owl either and I work best during the day so working at this time wouldn't work for me either. I don't think that doing engineering is a valid excuse for them to use, you didn't sign up for working all night every time you have a meeting!

I think it's worth speaking to your tutor about. Explain the situation and how it doesn't work for you and hopefully they can sort out a middle ground which suits everybody. Keep records of your conversations too (texts, emails etc) so that you can prove that you were trying to sort it out but they weren't having it. It's not fair for you to get a 0 because the meeting time does not work for you.

I hope this gets resolved for you,
Lucy - SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending