The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by wangelo
Who would want to return to the UK after living in NY or any other country/city anyway? :awesome:

Ill relatives you want to look after?
Reply 61
Original post by wangelo
Who would want to return to the UK after living in NY or any other country/city anyway? :awesome:

I think Quady pretty much answered that.

He's right. People who avoid loans usually only have their own selfish interests at heart.
Reply 62
Original post by SpiritedAway
It used to be 5 years. However, it no longer applies, it's now just a myth :smile:

In the UK its just a myth, abroad you can get it statute barred meaning the SLC cannot chase you down for the loan if you stay in that country. Go back to the UK and all the trouble starts.
Original post by jb9191
In the UK its just a myth, abroad you can get it statute barred meaning the SLC cannot chase you down for the loan if you stay in that country. Go back to the UK and all the trouble starts.

Your debt is not wiped off though. It's still there, you're just hiding from it.
lol just pay the money you owe, your life will be so much better as a result!
Reply 65
As far as my knowledge is concerned on this matter, I think if you work outside the EU for 5 years then your debt is wiped but it might be changed now as this sounds too good to be true.
Reply 66
Original post by SpiritedAway
Your debt is not wiped off though. It's still there, you're just hiding from it.

Its not hiding from it - its blocked by declaration of statute.

You are only hiding for the first 6 years then its blocked, unless you go back to the UK and then it restarts again.

After 6 years in a foreign country you are no longer on the run, but you just can't go home.

Worthwhile if you're a loner with no family in the UK.
Reply 67
Original post by Slick 'n' Shady
lol just pay the money you owe, your life will be so much better as a result!

How?

When you can move abroad and get all my wages or stay here and give up 9% of them?

Plus its easy to hide for years on end, look how well Bin Laden has done it and they are using everything possible to track his ass down.

I doubt the SLC will go to those lengths to get you. They'd more than likely wait to see if you ever returned to the UK.
Original post by jb9191

If you return to the UK then you are doomed.

So those considering moving abroad to avoid loans should bear in mind that they won't be able to come back - if they do they will face all sorts of legal issues from fines to being charged with fraud.

Exactly.

However increasingly there are movements to chase people abroad with debts, especially as bank institutions become more and more global.

I have friends in NZ who have been chased for student loans when they moved there from australia.
(despite the SLC not seemingly having tracked them down to Oz)
Reply 69
Original post by Jamie
Exactly.

However increasingly there are movements to chase people abroad with debts, especially as bank institutions become more and more global.

I have friends in NZ who have been chased for student loans when they moved there from australia.
(despite the SLC not seemingly having tracked them down to Oz)

Best thing is to move to Afghanistan for 6 years then get your debts statute barred as I doubt the SLC will chase you there :biggrin:

Then move to the USA :biggrin:

Just remember to pack your AK47 and brush up on your Call Of Duty Skills.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jb9191
How?

When you can move abroad and get all my wages or stay here and give up 9% of them?

Plus its easy to hide for years on end, look how well Bin Laden has done it and they are using everything possible to track his ass down.

I doubt the SLC will go to those lengths to get you. They'd more than likely wait to see if you ever returned to the UK.

I bet you're the sort of person who looks for tax loopholes as well, complains about having to pay tax at all, but loves to complain about how sh*t the NHS/schools/roads/everything else is.

You've borrowed the money, and spent it, most likely on booze - you should pay it back. People who run off to another country to avoid paying back their loan are stealing from everyone who remains here.
Original post by jb9191

Just remember to pack your AK47 and brush up on your Call Of Duty Skills.

I don't think your joypad/thumb dexterity will help you aim and shoot an ak47. :tongue:
Reply 72
Original post by jb9191
I think Quady pretty much answered that.

He's right. People who avoid loans usually only have their own selfish interests at heart.

They can return as long as they dont get a job though right.
Reply 73
Original post by modgepodge
I bet you're the sort of person who looks for tax loopholes as well, complains about having to pay tax at all, but loves to complain about how sh*t the NHS/schools/roads/everything else is.

1. I never said I'm going to avoid my loans. Don't make accusations.
2. I can understand why some do try to avoid them.

You've borrowed the money, and spent it, most likely on booze - you should pay it back. People who run off to another country to avoid paying back their loan are stealing from everyone who remains here.

Booze? No. I hardly drink. Another absurd assumption.

Again. I never said I'm going to avoid paying it.
Original post by jb9191
Booze? No. I hardly drink. Another absurd assumption.

Again. I never said I'm going to avoid paying it.

"How?

When you can move abroad and get all my wages or stay here and give up 9% of them?"

That implies you have at least thought about it. Plus you have made numerous posts going through all the loopholes of how to do it without ever saying what a selfish idea it is. Sorry for jumping to the conclusion that you had considered it or thought it a good idea.
Reply 75
Original post by modgepodge
"How?

When you can move abroad and get all my wages or stay here and give up 9% of them?"

That implies you have at least thought about it. Plus you have made numerous posts going through all the loopholes of how to do it without ever saying what a selfish idea it is. Sorry for jumping to the conclusion that you had considered it or thought it a good idea.

That implies I'm able to use my head and think what must be going through the head of those that do move abroad to avoid loans. It doesn't take much to work out what they must be thinking does it?

In my opinion it is selfish and it is stealing from the taxpayers of Britain.
Original post by jb9191
How?

lol at your scheme...
wait until you step into the real world youngster.
Reply 77
Original post by Slick 'n' Shady
lol at your scheme...
wait until you step into the real world youngster.

1. I never implied I was going to do it so learn to read.

2. I know 2 people who have successfully done it, one being my auntie.

3. The real world? I have worked for the last 4 years and have paid tens of thousands of pounds in tax - I'm planning on going to university in 2011. I find it funny that you tell me to get into the real world when you probably haven't even got into it yourself.

4. Another point, at my scheme? are you a dunce? Its a scheme thousands do every single year - its usually done by EU students to avoid the loans. If you do not think it happens then you need to get in the real world.
Well the loan gets written off after a certain time wherever you live anyway, but I guess if you lived abroad you wouldn't have the Student Loans Company hassling you all the time for repayments, so there's an element of truth.
Original post by jb9191
1. I never implied I was going to do it so learn to read.

2. I know 2 people who have successfully done it, one being my auntie.

3. The real world? I have worked for the last 4 years and have paid tens of thousands of pounds in tax - I'm planning on going to university in 2011. I find it funny that you tell me to get into the real world when you probably haven't even got into it yourself.

4. Another point, at my scheme? are you a dunce? Its a scheme thousands do every single year - its usually done by EU students to avoid the loans. If you do not think it happens then you need to get in the real world.

Justification fail.

Latest

Trending

Trending