The Student Room Group

Nursing degree funding

Hi All,
I am having a hard time finding information on funding a Nursing degree.

Please could someone let me know if there is a way to study a Nursing degree for free? I get confused with all the jargon. I heard Nursing degrees used to be entirely funded by the Government but I don't think this is the case anymore since the Tories have come in.

I was thinking of studying hard for my A levels and hope to get scholarships to pay for the tuition but if I don't get the grades I don't want to take on £27k+ worth of tuition debt. I am 34, have a mortgage and 2 children.

I have looked into a Trainee Nursing Associate role but my local hospital will only recruit people that are already working as a healthcare professional. I am anxious leaving my current office job that pays £34k to then go on a band 2 assitant job at a hospital to then possibly have them say no to me when i apply for the Trainee Nursing Associate role or the scheme gets scrapped once I've quit my job for a much lower paid one.

Thanks all. I would love to be a nurse.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Livetobehappy
Hi All,

Please could someone let me know if there is a way to study a Nursing degree for free? I get confused with all the jargon. I heard Nursing degrees used to be entirely funded by the Government but I don't think this is the case anymore since the Tories have come in.

I was thinking of studying hard for my A levels and hope to get scholarships to pay for the tuition but if I don't get the grades I don't want to take on £27k+ worth of tuition debt. I am 34, have a mortgage and 2 children.

I have looked into a Trainee Nursing Associate role but my local hospital will only recruit people that are already working as a healthcare professional. I am anxious leaving my current office job that pays £34k to then go on a band 2 assitant job at a hospital to then possibly have them say no to me when i apply for the Trainee Nursing Associate role or the scheme gets scrapped once I've quit my job for a much lower paid one.

Hi there,
Starting my nursing journey in a couple weeks (18 years old but hopefully I can still be helpful). So obviously nursing is an exceptional degree and is covered by student finance England which is still annoying that you’ll have the loan debt but at least it’s not out of pocket.
Something the nursing degree does get is the NHS learning support fund. This is £5000 per academic year that you don’t have to repay. If you have children under 15 or under 17 with special educational needs you can get an extra £2000 so it may be worth looking into this if this could be helpful to you.
Reply 2
Original post by Livetobehappy
Hi All,

RN here - I went back to uni aged 25 to do my nursing degree. OK, I did my nursing degree under the old bursary scheme so had the full lot paid for. However, I do have a student loan from my previous degree - all 4 years' worth of a languages degree.
Student loans don't actually get classed as debt in the same way any other loan does. You don't start paying back until you're earning over £21k a year and I genuinely don't notice the difference in mine coming off my paycheque.
The main thing you need to worry about is finances during your degree. You'll get the maintenance loan from SFE AND the NHS learning support fund of 5K a year as previously mentioned - it's also a good idea to work part time on a 0 hours/flexible work contract to top up which is completely normal for student nurses of all ages (bank HCA, retail, bar work)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending