The Student Room Group

Russell Group

I really want to go to a Russell group uni but my grades aren't good enough. Is it worth me applying to non RG unis given the significantly great opportunities for RG grads, will I just be in debt for life for nothing?
RG grads don't have "greater opportunities" than those going to non RG unis in general. The RG is a pretty broad range of unis and while some may have specific advantages in particular fields (e.g. Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial for investment banking) plenty won't make any difference in any field or may even be worse than others in particular fields/areas.

e.g. SOAS commands a much greater level of prestige internationally in countries speaking languages it teaches as it's well known outside of the UK; within the UK Bath and St Andrews are much better known than some RG unis and Bath particularly has very good track records in graduate placements. Other unis like Loughborough, Strathclyde, and Heriot-Watt place graduates very well within areas they are well known (mainly engineering and related areas).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
RG grads don't have "greater opportunities" than those going to non RG unis in general. The RG is a pretty broad range of unis and while some may have specific advantages in particular fields (e.g. Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial for investment banking) plenty won't make any difference in any field or may even be worse than others in particular fields/areas.

e.g. SOAS commands a much greater level of prestige internationally in countries speaking languages it teaches as it's well known outside of the UK; within the UK Bath and St Andrews are much better known than some RG unis and Bath particularly has very good track records in graduate placements. Other unis like Loughborough, Strathclyde, and Heriot-Watt place graduates very well within areas they are well known (mainly engineering and related areas).

Thanks, I just wish I could believe you, all my friends are going to RG and I just think the unis I can get into won't be worth the lifetime of debt.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, I just wish I could believe you, all my friends are going to RG and I just think the unis I can get into won't be worth the lifetime of debt.

If you genuinely believe that then just go straight to work.

Or use some critical thinking and make your own path. I work in RG admissions. My uni does not grant people magical career powers despite your classmates buying the hype.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
If you genuinely believe that then just go straight to work.

Or use some critical thinking and make your own path. I work in RG admissions. My uni does not grant people magical career powers despite your classmates buying the hype.

I am using critical thinking which is why I'm not just getting into £60k of debt for a degree which isn't worth it. Honestly I don't know why you're being so passive aggressive about it. It's not exactly a secret that many degrees and universities leave people worse off, I'm just trying to ask questions to work out what is best for me.
Original post by Anonymous
I am using critical thinking which is why I'm not just getting into £60k of debt for a degree which isn't worth it. Honestly I don't know why you're being so passive aggressive about it. It's not exactly a secret that many degrees and universities leave people worse off, I'm just trying to ask questions to work out what is best for me.

And I've answered that, not necessarily a RG uni.

Your two options aren't RG or employment. That's betraying a lack of critical thinking.
Original post by Admit-One
And I've answered that, not necessarily a RG uni.

Your two options aren't RG or employment. That's betraying a lack of critical thinking.

PRSOM :smile:
Career opportunities depend more on your grade and work experience than the uni you went to, which is something I wish I'd considered as I picked my uni entirely of league tables when I could have been somewhere where the teaching methods may have fit me better
Reply 8
Thank you for an actually useful reply. Where would you have gone if you could do it again? Did you go to RG and regret it?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you for an actually useful reply. Where would you have gone if you could do it again? Did you go to RG and regret it?

I go to Oxford which I applied to and chose based off the league tables and with a similar mindset to your post and while I wouldn't say I completely regret it, I have found that the teaching method doesn't fit me that much. I do law and teaching here is more geared towards academia rather than practicing as a solicitor. My grades also haven't been brilliant here due to the fact it's entirely exam based (as many RGs are) and I think I would be doing better somewhere where you get time to properly research and take time to write your essays and have opportunities for feedback throughout. I know a lot of people at Plymouth, who does teach like that, and I think that teaching method would better prepare me for a career as a solicitor.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Many of my students [with high predicted grades] chose non-RG and a year in industry/placement - not one is out of work. RG means very little unless you are thinking of law/IB. One of my students who graduated last year got a job ahead of RG grads because he has work experience and could demonstrate he could apply his knowledge.

RG says nothing about the quality of the teaching either ...
RG is irrelevant, I wish the student room created a very visible university guide highlighting this. These constant RG threads do my ******* nut in.
Reply 12
I went to a RG uni for a year and was miserable and had no excitement for the future, just getting through each week was a celebration. I’m now doing something entirely different and niche at a non RG uni and I’m loving it and have a clear view for my future and look forward to stuff. I can’t believe I ever struggled to make the decision to leave because of silly pride about giving up a RG uni. Not worth it, do what works for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending