The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
mastergo
oh jesus!! is that even possible i thought everyone starts off low then their earnings rise

not everyone but it is relatively rare.
Reply 41
blue_shift86 talks sense- 60s campus universities can be disappointing. Living on a campus can feel too enclosing as well, especially with that kind of architecture. At least York University had a beautiful ancient city not far outside of it though, even if the campus was lacking in things to do.

I never wanted to apply to a London university for a number of reasons when I was applying. Firstly, you'd be seen as a attending just one of a number of London universities - the identity wouldn't necessarily be as strong as some other univeristies. Secondly, it sounds like London universities can have a lot of either rich, perhaps slightly arrogant, London students or international students. Either way, there could be a culture clash for some other people. Thirdly, your university and accommodation could be spread over several campuses miles apart.

That's why I was most happy with Leicester University, where I studied English, which had a single campus and essentially a single area separate from it for the halls of residences. And Maths happens to be arguably Leicester's best subject- Leicester ranks about 5th or 6th in the league tables for it. I know that it remains under-rated by some and I don't know what kind of person you are but I would consider it.

There's a picture of the Maths Building with the Attenborough Building behind it. Behind the Maths building (not seen in this picture) is actually the world famous Engineering Building by Stirling and Gowan:

blue_shift86
I've been at both uni's and currently am doing my undergrad in ucl. I left warwick in a week because I didn't really like the place. It's literally in the middle of nowhere and there is just one big supermarket in the vacinity. There is literally no town, nothing! just farms! I was born and bred a londoner so hated this part of it.

So at ucl i'm living at home, but the people are *******....i remember warwick having more working class normal people which was cool.

So if you don't mind the toffs go to ucl, if you want working class, but don't mind living around farms, go for warwick.

Sounds to me that you expected a buzzing city like London to be on the doorstep. I know several students here from London and they like it. You can't go looking for the London experience in somewhere that isn't London!

I think Warwick has mostly middle class people, with some working class and upper class. That's just my opinion. Most of the foreign students are from very privileged backgrounds though.

Maths with Econ at UCL is a Math degree op. Keep that in mind. MORSE is very quantitative, and has lots of maths in the first year, but after that it can be less depending on your options i.e it isn't a maths degree and will have less pure maths. The base is statistics though, but statistics I've found is quite good at uni and totally different to A level. Personally, i like learning about finance/accounting/business, economics, statistics and even languages in MORSE. There is more application there and I think you'd have better understanding of business than a pure maths student (they too can do business/econ options here at Warwick, I don't know how it is at UCL though). Most students I know are going into investment banking or consultancy followed by actuary type work (i know a couple that want to do a PhD in future, so it's not all about application or getting a job).
silent ninja
Sounds to me that you expected a buzzing city like London to be on the doorstep. I know several students here from London and they like it. You can't go looking for the London experience in somewhere that isn't London!

I think Warwick has mostly middle class people, with some working class and upper class. That's just my opinion. Most of the foreign students are from very privileged backgrounds though.

Maths with Econ at UCL is a Math degree op. Keep that in mind. MORSE is very quantitative, and has lots of maths in the first year, but after that it can be less depending on your options i.e it isn't a maths degree and will have less pure maths. The base is statistics though, but statistics I've found is quite good at uni and totally different to A level. Personally, i like learning about finance/accounting/business, economics, statistics and even languages in MORSE. There is more application there and I think you'd have better understanding of business than a pure maths student (they too can do business/econ options here at Warwick, I don't know how it is at UCL though). Most students I know are going into investment banking or consultancy followed by actuary type work.

nice post.... having said that, do you think morse is better preparation for IB than Warwick's maths & economics course?
examhunter
nice post.... having said that, do you think morse is better preparation for IB than Warwick's maths & economics course?

Sorry don't know. I doubt any difference tbh. It comes down to the individual: you meet some students who know everything about the industry, down to all those weird ratios and numbers in the FT. Then you meet others who are just attracted to the pay and glamour of IB. And the weak candidates get found out.

It's said a lot on these forums, but your own research and knowledge, interview technique (even numeracy/verbal reasoning for tests) are often the dinstinguishing factors, not just the degree you study.
Krush
Indeed, it seems as though only sixth formers mention this. Most current UCL students avoid the topic.

6 formers, especially ones on here, seem to have a need to manufacture superiority for their chosen uni where possible.

This manifests itself in that 'fact' being quoted in any/every comparative thread with UCL in the title lol.

Latest