The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
J.S.
Hmm, it does make a difference, it just looks far more impressive, particularly Trinity, Kings and St Johns, etc. If you look at the list of prominent alumni, you see that it is fairly concentrated. Although, with that said, the degree is still worth a good deal regardless of college. What you study makes a greater difference in the empoyment world, and needless to say how you do in what you study:smile:

Best alumni of Emmanuel is John Harvard :smile:
Reply 481
Seer
I agree, no reason not to is there?

Cambridge has a good network. But maybe they are worried that things will get lost in cyberspace:wink:
Reply 482
Mentally Ill
Sorry, I agree totally that cultural differences are not trivial. I think your first point reinforces my suggestion that interviews need to be re thought.

However, I think the interview is very focussed on assessing your 'teacherability'. So if your cultural norms are different to the interviewer, this may be interesting, but will clearly be a 'hurdle' for them - and depending on how biased the interviewer is (and we all know that it is very difficult for any human to 100% objective in such situations - we all have opinions!) will determine how big a hurdle this is.

So I still think interviews need to be re prioritised.

Definitely.
Seer
I agree, no reason not to is there?

Yes, for an institute who pride themselves on 'forward thinking' etc, you would have thought they would be emailing. Instead, they are tied up with out of date and expensive communication.
Reply 484
lizzzy`
Cambridge has a good network. But maybe they are worried that things will get lost in cyberspace:wink:

Which is more likely to get lost; an email in cyber space or post through the royal mail? I think you know :smile:

I see absolutely NO good reason not to use email. (Apart from some bullshit about formality perhaps)
Reply 485
Mentally Ill
Yes, for an institute who pride themselves on 'forward thinking' etc, you would have thought they would be emailing. Instead, they are tied up with out of date and expensive communication.

but a letter is better evidence than an email. people could fake emails which would be funny, but annoying...
Reply 486
In fact I'll make a list of reasons why e-mail is preferable!

-Infinitely cheaper than post
-Infinitely faster than post
-Unfakable if sent from .cam domain (Unless you somehow manage to hack the admissions tutor's login, and it's going to be easier to make a fake letter and send that) :smile:
-Infinitely more reliable than post
manu
but a letter is better evidence than an email. people could fake emails which would be funny, but annoying...

they could send an email and a confimation letter
manu

Very true...suppose they could email and follow up with a letter. even though that would be more expensive i guess.
Reply 489
Mentally Ill
Very true...suppose they could email and follow up with a letter. even though that would be more expensive i guess.

imagine how upset ppl would be if the email was a fake...
Reply 490
No, not at all. All you have to do is check the domain is correct?
Reply 491
Seer
In fact I'll make a list of reasons why e-mail is preferable!

-Infinitely cheaper than post
-Infinitely faster than post
-Unfakable if sent from .cam domain

Some colleges in Oxford email their applicants.

Maybe it's more traditional, y'know, the ink and paper way.

Wonder if the Royal Mail is deserving of it's 'Royal' status- nothing ever gets in on time, and a lot of things get lost! Maybe HRH The Queen should award the royal charter thing to DHL or FedEx.
lizzzy`
Definitely.

Right....when we are both fellow students (*this is me being positive*) we can begin discussions with the CAO. lol
Seer
No, not at all. All you have to do is check the domain is correct?

nah u can change those things, there are some pretty mean programs out there. they could also make it cam.(something) eg cam.1.ac.uk
Reply 494
Perhaps better than email (and more efficient), would be if Cambridge gave you an application no. and password when they first respond to you through post, then you can just check up on a seperate webpage after your interviews. :smile:
Reply 495
Mentally Ill
Right....when we are both fellow students (*this is me being positive*) we can begin discussions with the CAO. lol

Definitely. Lobbying for wider access. What a way to start term (I'm being big on the optimism here), and also what a way to get the Admissions staff to hate you, not to mention the admin staff too for shaking the boat!
Reply 496
That's pretty solid isn't it? And people WOULDN'T have to go crazy like they do with the UCAS tracker, as they could just say All decisions will be loaded onto the site between date xxx and date yyy
Reply 497
keithy
nah u can change those things, there are some pretty mean programs out there. they could also make it cam.(something) eg cam.1.ac.uk
Reply 498
Seer
Perhaps better than email (and more efficient), would be if Cambridge gave you an application no. and password when they first respond to you through post, then you can just check up on a seperate webpage after your interviews. :smile:

Nah, because someone will always be able to hack the system.
Seer

or they could send the responses to ucas so we could check on the tracker thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending