The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Seer
It MUST come tomorrow!

If it doesnt im thinkin of actually goin down to the royal mail depot! :tongue:
Lucy
Ah right, I see, sorry didn't realise you applied for medicine (which college?) :smile: ! I applied for medicine too (at Oxford) - in that case a thin letter is likely to be bad news.

As for the post - normally a day but could be more depending if post is in good form.

paymaster - I think both acceptance and rejection letters from both Ox and Cam are automated, so I wouldn't expect anything too personal :wink:

Anything more personal than the UCAS 'obtain the grades AAB at GCE A-Level' ... and thats all it says. Took me a while to c who the offer as from!
Reply 902
Seer
Am I the only one who becomes apoplectic with rage when their family asks them about their Cambridge application?

The thing that really annoys me, more than my family and friends "knowing" that I've got in, is the extended family I've suddenly gained. Yes, now it appears that every single person my Mum has ever spoken to knows every single little detail about me and makes it their duty to seek me out and ask "have you heard from Cambridge yet?" Argh! Even on Christmas Day, when I thought..'Ok, today I will stop thinking about it and just enjoy Christmas', I spent having to answer the same question over and over again! Does anyone else get this?

Anyway, my rant is over. Best of luck to everyone for tomorrow...or whenever. :smile:
Reply 903
al65
If it doesnt im thinkin of actually goin down to the royal mail depot! :tongue:

Can you do that? If so, how? I'm going :smile:
Reply 904
al65
applied to christ's...damn (please dont be thin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Ah, that's where my brother applied (he applied but he didn't realise that although the application : place ratio was low, everyone who applied were geniuses!). My friend's boyfriend's friend (lol :tongue: ) applied there for medicine too. Good luck :biggrin: !
akk713
through this thread I've upgraded myself from new to junior member~ thanks to cambridge

congrats! i've still got a long way to go....

i've read posts about people wishing they'd applied to oxbridge after deciding not to but is anyone else considering not accepting an offer from cam even if they get one? i have an offer to do maths & phys at manchester, a course which i would rather do than straight maths. why do people think that just because you've applied to oxbridge then that is you're first choice?

Donna
-x-
Reply 906
DonnaB041986

i've read posts about people wishing they'd applied to oxbridge after deciding not to but is anyone else considering not accepting an offer from cam even if they get one? i have an offer to do maths & phys at manchester, a course which i would rather do than straight maths. why do people think that just because you've applied to oxbridge then that is you're first choice?

Donna
-x-

Well, since Oxbridge is a cut above the rest, everyone automatically presumes it's your first choice. It seems a bit pointless to go through the whole process if it doesn't mean that much to you.
Reply 907
DonnaB041986

Donna
-x-

that's nothing wrong with turning cam down I think if they don't offer you the course you wanna do, but I bet many people would think it's a stupid act. It depends on whether you apply just for the name of it or it does offer you the course and teaching you wanna have
Reply 908
Psyche
Does anyone else get this?

I really hope my extended family don't treat me any differently - I'm dreading seeing them in the New Year because I'm anticipating being fired loads of questions and generally feeling uncomfortable!
Reply 909
88 posts remaining :smile:
Right guys, I'm off to try and get some work done

Enjoy the New Year, whatever happens!

Good luck!!!
Seer
Well, since Oxbridge is a cut above the rest, everyone automatically presumes it's your first choice. It seems a bit pointless to go through the whole process if it doesn't mean that much to you.

i would like to go there because the maths course at cam is quite physics based in the second yr which is what i want and its a good uni, it's just that i think i'd do better on a joint honours course where i can split my time between the 2 subjects, plus cambridge is a 4 hour car journey and my mum doesn't want me to go far from home unless i really have to (talk about a bit over protective!!).
Reply 912
al65
tbh..got no hope....unles the admin tutors off his trolley when deciding

Don't think like that! I thought I had no hope because of my diabolical BMAT performance (that said, Ox use the BMAT to deselect pre-interview so once you get an interview your performance doesn't matter as much. I think :tongue: ) and my biology teachers are going to cringe when they hear some of the rubbish which I produced in my interviews! I will even tell you some of the crappo I came up with to make you feel better if you like :biggrin: !
Reply 913
Lucy
Don't think like that! I thought I had no hope because of my diabolical BMAT performance (that said, Ox use the BMAT to deselect pre-interview so once you get an interview your performance doesn't matter as much. I think :tongue: ) and my biology teachers are going to cringe when they hear some of the rubbish which I produced in my interviews! I will even tell you some of the crappo I came up with to make you feel better if you like :biggrin: !

Hey Lucy what did you get for your BMAT?
Is it above average still??
my friend didn't even get an interview but he had excellent grades!
Do you think reference and PS count?
Reply 914
paymaster
Right guys, I'm off to try and get some work done

Enjoy the New Year, whatever happens!

Good luck!!!

Bye, and good luck :biggrin: :tongue: !
Lucy

tell us - i think most people lie at least once during their interview. those that say they didn't are still lying when they are talking to you!

Donna
-x-
Reply 916
I'm also from Hong Kong here...been following the thread but haven't been posting.
Applied to Churchill for Nat.Sci. (Physical)
The wait is getting really bad...most of you are expecting the reply in the next day or two...but for us over here....may take up to 10 days!
My friend who got his reply from Oxford recieved his letter 10 days after it was posted...sigh.
I don't want to go into my bio exam thinking about cambridge! =\
Reply 917
DonnaB041986
tell us - i think most people lie at least once during their interview. those that say they didn't are still lying when they are talking to you!

Donna
-x-

Well in my case, I made stuff up which was blatantly scientifically wrong but it wasn't lying, it was just pulling at straws :tongue: And what exactly do you mean by lying? Because I did say I loved biochemistry (because I didn't mind talking about it), when I only like it a teeny weeny bit :biggrin: That said, I know a few people who lied outright on their UCAS form and didn't get caught out!
Wong
I'm also from Hong Kong here...been following the thread but haven't been posting.
The wait is getting really bad...most of you are expecting the reply in the next day or two...but for us over here....may take up to 10 days!
My friend who got his reply from Oxford recieved his letter 10 days after it was posted...sigh.

surely oxbridge would have the sense to post international students' letters a bit earlier than home students? i can't have taken them over 2 weeks to decide who they want.

Donna
-x-
Reply 919
Wong

Haha, I didn't expect to find you here Wong! Actually, Gabriel had to wait 9 days for his letter to come, but that was probably also due to the Christmas Holiday (and Boxing Day).

I applied to Christ's for Medicine, and it said in a FAQ sheet they gave me that all offers are sent out on the same day. So if Jesus and Clare are said to give offers today, then it should be the same for everyone.

Latest

Trending

Trending