The Student Room Group

Can Facebook Change people?

So my younger sister (16) got fb about a month ago snd she has completely changed. She got it secretly, I think because she didnt want me or my brother to add her as a friend or something. Anyway so I have been fb stalking her because she was being so secretive about it. I know I shouldnt but she never says anything and doesnt want anyone to know anything about her, which is weird because everyone else in my family is overly open about things. She doesnt seem to understand that just because I talk a lot that I still keep things to myself too. But on her fb she is always swearing on her status and things (in a positive way like "**** yeah!") which I think is really horrible. It feels like she is trying to be a different person. I know she is more like this with her friends at school but now she has become like that at home. She is always unusually super loud when she talks at dinner and then complains as soon as I speak that I'm shouting!! :mad:
I don't know why she is changing so much now because we have been getting on really well recently. It seems weird that it started after she got fb. Could this be what is making her so different?
Reply 1
Deronda
So my younger sister (16) got fb about a month ago snd she has completely changed. She got it secretly, I think because she didnt want me or my brother to add her as a friend or something. Anyway so I have been fb stalking her because she was being so secretive about it. I know I shouldnt but she never says anything and doesnt want anyone to know anything about her, which is weird because everyone else in my family is overly open about things. She doesnt seem to understand that just because I talk a lot that I still keep things to myself too. But on her fb she is always swearing on her status and things (in a positive way like "**** yeah!") which I think is really horrible. It feels like she is trying to be a different person. I know she is more like this with her friends at school but now she has become like that at home. She is always unusually super loud when she talks at dinner and then complains as soon as I speak that I'm shouting!! :mad:
I don't know why she is changing so much now because we have been getting on really well recently. It seems weird that it started after she got fb. Could this be what is making her so different?

Facebook is very much about how you display yourself to other people.

Considering she's 16 she's probably just trying to fit in/look cool by swearing and such.
Leave her alone, my cousin found me on facebook and is always going on about my photos or whatever to my aunts and it's none of her business
Facebook didn't change her. People act different around their friends and their family; this is normal. People usually swear more around their friends etc. Also you have to recognise that people change a lot when they are 16, 17 etc, don't bring up your facebook stalking.
Reply 4
computersaysnooooo
Leave her alone, my cousin found me on facebook and is always going on about my photos or whatever to my aunts and it's none of her business

I only looked a few times and then left it.
I wouldn't have done it if she wasnt so secretive about it and I'm not going around talking about it all the time, I just want to know why she would be so different suddenly after getting fb.

LTC1409
Facebook is very much about how you display yourself to other people.

Considering she's 16 she's probably just trying to fit in/look cool by swearing and such.

Even so why would she be changing in person? Is she trying to make herself the person she is on facebook. And she never really had any problem talking to people or anything.
I wouldn't have done it if she wasnt so secretive about it and I'm not going around talking about it all the time, I just want to know why she would be so different suddenly after getting fb.

I suppose I know where you're coming from, she's prob just trying to look cool and popular (not saying she isn't) in front of people, esp for younger teens facebook is like a popularity contest and they all try to make out that they're have a better life than each other or something:confused:
Just as a note, I'm two different people when I'm with family/friends.
Reply 7
Deronda

Even so why would she be changing in person? Is she trying to make herself the person she is on facebook. And she never really had any problem talking to people or anything.

Maybe she's is just trying to 'be the person she is on facebook' as you say. I'm not sure why she's being particularly moody to you and possibly the rest of your family. I'm gunna suggest it's a stage. I know when I was around 14/15 I would sort of huff at my parents and argue and stuff but I grew out of it.
Reply 8
Installation
Just as a note, I'm two different people when I'm with family/friends.

I know that people act differently when they are with their friends than with family. It just feels like her maturity level has plummeted (not that she didnt do anything fun before) and she is acting like we are all in secondary school with her.

Latest

Trending

Trending