The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by member5
Hey guys

Well I have been unsuccesfull in getting a place here in the UK, and I am now thinking of going to india to study dentistry and coming back here after the 4 years (course there is 4yrs) and then doing the ORE exam in order to practice here as a dentist. I chose India because I go there every summer holidays and I am quite use to the lifestyle there and also I have a house in the city where the university is. The university is a well recognised and good university and has a good dental course and are ready to accept me. I do not want to go to europe because I have heard that the fail rate there is quite high and also the language is very difficult and in the course itself is very hard and apprantly you have to learn medicine there too as my family friend told me. The ORE exam is difficult I know but many dentists from abroad pass it so I do not see why I woudnt be able to.

So do you guys thinks this is wise and what are your thoughts about this? Is doing something as drastic as this worth it?

Please help.

Hi,
I wouldn't recommend going to India for studying dentistry. Everything from day 1 is completely different. Teaching style is completely different. The reason why i'm saying this is that i know one of my friends studying there and their teaching style is not so good i would say in my opinion. In india, they expect you to cram, whereas UK universities expect you to understand and state.. for instance for tooth morphology, indian dental unis expect you to state details for each tooth in the exam paper as it is in the notes provided whereas UK universities would provide you with a tooth in the OSCE and ask you to identify which tooth it is. The ORE exams are really long and due to the long waiting list, it may take ages. I'd say re-apply again this year.. and learn new things in your gap year. I know one year can be a killer but its worth it to learn.. dont just sit at home doing nothing.. go out.. travel or work or gain more work experience or do some volunteering or explore new things eg go mountain climbing etc. You're not the only one who has not got any UK universities.. I'm sure there are loads out there who havent gotten a place.. people in the past have taken a gap year and re-applied and most unis do consider re-applicants as they believe they are much more matured and are dedicated to the course.
Studying in the UK is better in my opinion. If you can, then i'd highly recommend
Hi. Doing dentistry in India is not a bad idea. I am an Indian dentist and cleared ore exams in my first attempt. Indian education standards are very high so you will be able to clear the exams easily. Being a british citizen it wont be diffucult for you to secure a job as well. Go a head dear. Good luck

Latest