The Student Room Group

Geography help

I need help in Geography. Badly. Specifically on 8 markers such as India and Cyclones. What structure do I need to follow? how do I go from a grade 4 to a grade 8 in 3 months?
Try learning the content that's been given to you like its the back of your hand. With India, I assume you're on about Mumbai and its urbanisation, globalisation, and the socioeconomic issues behind it? With 8 markers you can usually use the information they give you in the question, though that's how my exam board works, what is yours?

If I'm being fully honest though, it's unlikely the 8 markers you need to worry about if you're at a 4. Learn your general content in geography well and practice with 3-6 markers, as they'll be more of them than the higher ones, and these are the questions that don't give you extra information - you just have to know the content. (eg. Explain why the increasing importance of urban areas contributes to the deprivation of nearby rural areas [6])

Chances are with human geography questions you cana come up with any sort of common sense and run with it - you get credit for almost anything! Just make sure you go into detail.
I hope that helped, if you have any questions and/or want me to answer specific things about studying geography, lmk xx
Reply 2
The first thing to remember when it comes to 8 markers is that they shouldn't take you longer than about 15 minutes to answer, and the marks are typically to seperate grade 8s from grade 9s. Therefore, in order to improve your garde, I would focus on the short form questions first as they are much easier to pick up quick marks in.

That being said:

The first thing to cover would be an introduction. For example, if it's a question about India or cyclones, outlining what a cyclone is briefly will help indicate to the examiner that you know your stuff right from the get-go. Furthermore, if the question is asking you to compare primary and secondary effects, you would probably want to include a quick sentence just outlining what they are and what's the difference. Same with questions (I'm assuming on the human paper?) about India and processes like globalization etc., you will probably want to put in a small amount of background info about India like which continent it's located in and how it's densely populated and classed as an NEE.

Usually, your question will be to evaluate the difference in primary and secondary effects of a cyclone or something to that effect to do with evaluating, so your 2 main paragraphs should agree and disagree with the statement. Just using the cyclone question as an example, you would probably have one paragraph stating why primary effects are more devastating, and provide examples from case studies you've learnt about. Primary effects would include things like destruction, flooding and loss of life, so you would state a few examples where they were key drivers and more important than the secondary effects. For the secondary effects you would do the same, just vice versa.

Then, your conclusion should be the place as to which side of the fence you sit on. DO NOT REMAIN NEUTRAL! THE EXAMINERS WANT AN ANSWER! Whichever side you decide to agree with though doesn't matter, as long as you provide good enough reasons.

Key tips:

Practise them! This wil help you with timing

Make sure you know your case studies inside out, as this can really help with the rest of the paper too.

I hope this helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending