The Student Room Group

Whats the technique behind getting an A in GCSE English than a B?=/

Does anyone know a strategy or any tips on how I can get an A in GCSE English. So far i've just been getting Bs but i want an A just don't know the technique or what you got to do to get it. And having a **** teacher telling you that you have to write 5 sides to get a minimum of a C doesnt help either:mad: . Anyone here know?
Reply 1
What English exam are you talking about? In Literature, when analysing the 2 books, you can get maximum marks with 2 sides of A4. Whenever analysing poems, to get A*/A, you need to be original in your ideas. When making a point, describe what the writer does, what it illustrates in the poem and how it effects the reader.
For example, the writer uses the phrase 'drowning' to emphasise the horror of the war. This sets a negative tone throughout the poem which reflects on the writer's viewpoint on war. then go on to blab about how this has effect on the reader.

Horrible example, I know.
Reply 2
Have you been given a copy of the mark scheme? That should let you know what they're looking for in A/A* candidates.
Try not to focus on writing loads. I got As in Lang and Lit and I tend not to write much at all in exams. I think what they'll be looking for really is clarity, style and subtlety - they want to see that you know what you're talking about throughout the essay and that you don't get sidetracked from the question. This can be made a lot easier by taking 5 minutes or so before you start your answer to write a plan for each paragraph with key points you want to include - that way you just need to spend your writing time formulating nice sentences and exploring each idea with language. Also, if you run out of time and don't end up finishing, the examiner can see where you were going with the essay.
Hope I helped
Reply 3
Wrong and wrong. The answer is sucking up to your teacher.
Reply 4
Try making a brief plan in pencil at the beginning, literally just a couple of words per paragraph, so that you keep some kind of focus. Its really easy to stray from the point and start rambling (which I imagine you would do if you had to write 5 sides - it depends which exam board youre on but i would say this is a bit much :/), and this will lose loads of marks. Also, try and keep your points concise and clear - if you only have a few lines to say about a point, only write a few lines, and then move onto the next point.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Draw references from similar books you've read / know plot of. Or refer to authors of a similar time period (if this is the literature exam you're talking about).

If english language - depends on the question. Sometimes it's ridiculous things like the ability to use paragraphs, semi-colons etc. that are the difference between grades - definitely recommend you read the mark-scheme inside out.

Failing that - ask your teacher for a copy of A* / A essays and compare them with your own to see where you're going wrong.
step 1: ignore everyone who gives you stupid set methologies to follow and acronyms to remember. cramming your work into a template will not do anything except make it come across artificial and with poor flow.

step 2: write coherently, with correct grammar and lots of overly elaborate, floral imagery - even if describing utter mundanities.
Who is that jerk who wasted like 30 secs of my life scrolling down?

Use PQEE:

P -Point (state what you are pointing out)
Q - Quote (make sure it's relevant)
E - Evaluate (what does it do? How does it link in?)

[All that is okay if you are a C-grade candidate, but if you want that A]

Do all the above AND,

E - Effect on the audience (what does it provoke from the reader? If you're stuck, write about you reaction in third person)
Urm just make up some ******** anaylsis, as long as you can justify any idea it will get you an A!
BSH1tt3r

Ha. 'You're' not 'Your'. :biggrin:

OP: Past papers to infinity.
Reply 10
i agree with above! however i was taught
P- point
E- evidence
E- explain
and you can possibly throw in L- language

so yeh just PEE all over your paper haha
I wnet form an E to an A in 2 weeks using this so chin up (Y)
Reply 11
All of the things that the above user mentioned ^^

+ Develop (Be philosophical in your thinking and give a personal response to the text etc....)

Got an A* for my English mocks and trying to maintain it :smile: Good luck with your exams.
Reply 12
English teachers suck I remember I submitted a piece of coursework once that was a brief bit of creative writing full of long and complex words, it flowe badly had no metaphors. It was like reading a dictionary loosley strung together... And she predicted an A*
I got a B, like I thought.
I am also doing my GCSE's and I will almost certainly be getting an A* in English.

I think PEE is easier to remember then PQWR or whatever the other acronym the other user said:
P - point
E - example (basically quote)
E - explain

Some basics: obviously always remember to write in paragraphs and use correct grammar. Try to spell correctly to the best of your ability also. Read the question properly and address what they are asking.

Some tips: in Eng lit, whatever books you are studying (for example I am doing Of Mice and Men) just read a few essays on the internet the night before analysing them and for the exam just pick out a few key points from the essays. Two heads are better than one as they say. I find if in the essay they make a particularly good point it always stands out so I remember it.

Just try to be original and clear in your points. There's nothing wrong with using humour in your writing also! I'm sure if an examiner is marking hundreds of exams and he sees a humorous sentence it will go in your favour. There's also no need to aim for a specific amount of pages to write because you can be concise yet still write well OP.
Something I despise English teachers barking at me to do: highlight, highlight, highlight. There's no need for it and it's not a natural way of reading.

The best advise is to read read read because reading other author's work will help you construct sentences better and will generally improve your use of grammar; good luck OP.
Reply 14
about what the person above said i would never use humour in my text it doesnt go in your favour trust me. but if you anylising a book or poem also get into the feel of each scene or paragraph and find quotes that way using the emotions you can write about thi way you can write about emotive language too!
I just enjoyed the subject, came easy, did no revision. You have to find a part of it that you a passionate about.
just to throw this in here again.
most of the retards in my school who used those stupid infantile acronyms got Bs or Cs. granted they may have improved them to a C from a D, but the point is moot as you want an A - a task you will only make more difficult by using them.
cramming your argument into a template does not help.
write coherently, with proper grammar. that is all.

this from someone who got a* language (WJEC)
Hchrish
about what the person above said i would never use humour in my text it doesnt go in your favour trust me. but if you anylising a book or poem also get into the feel of each scene or paragraph and find quotes that way using the emotions you can write about thi way you can write about emotive language too!

I have personally heard from an examiner if you happen to be writing a review or description using wit will often go in your favour as it shows you are a charismatic and original writer. Obviously if you are writing a letter don't address it to 'Mr Poo-Head' as this isn't an example of intelligence or originality.
Clearly don't go overboard you're not writing a comedy script but if you slip it in they won't be like 'HE MADE ME CHUCKLE! FAIL FOR YOU!!'
Don't feel you constantly just have to abhor to the mark scheme OP, I myself refuse to even look at it as I will not change my writing style for the convenience of an extra few marks.
Don't compromise yourself basically - I recommend reading Oscar Wilde or G. K. Chesterton who are both brilliant writers and will help with the description aspect which will inevitably come up. You will never be down-graded for imagination.
aboy93
Does anyone know a strategy or any tips on how I can get an A in GCSE English. So far i've just been getting Bs but i want an A just don't know the technique or what you got to do to get it. And having a **** teacher telling you that you have to write 5 sides to get a minimum of a C doesnt help either:mad: . Anyone here know?

Individual word analysis. Instead of just picking apart sentences, pick apart specific words as well. Also, discuss specific examples of punctuation choice.
Reply 19
Thanks for all the advice i bought myself some good revision books to achieve high XD.. btw is there anyone here who wrote like a page and got an A* in their english GCSE? or is that impossible?

Latest

Trending

Trending