The Student Room Group

Will I lose all marks in a question in english language because of this?

In my aqa gcse English language exam, I was on question 2, and I didn’t realise what I wrote about was not language it was structure (I used repetition and juxtaposition) and I will obviously lose marks for them, but will I still get marks for the analysis and the effect of them? I’m really stressed and hoping I might get a few marks
Original post by mia_m008
In my aqa gcse English language exam, I was on question 2, and I didn’t realise what I wrote about was not language it was structure (I used repetition and juxtaposition) and I will obviously lose marks for them, but will I still get marks for the analysis and the effect of them? I’m really stressed and hoping I might get a few marks

dont worry, juxtaposition is a great language technique and if you zoomed in on the word being repeated too it will all be ok. juxtaposition should always be mentioned, its a bit different to contrast which is normally structure. I did the paper too, how was it?
Reply 2
you should get some marks as long as your analysis was valid. its done now dont stress you'll be fine im sure. you did do structure for q3 again tho right?
Reply 3
Original post by baikbaiksaja
dont worry, juxtaposition is a great language technique and if you zoomed in on the word being repeated too it will all be ok. juxtaposition should always be mentioned, its a bit different to contrast which is normally structure. I did the paper too, how was it?

Thank you so much!! I hated the section a because I was struggling so much to find language and structure techniques, but I think I did good on section b (well I hope 😅), how did you find it?
Reply 4
Thank you so much!! I hated the section a because I was struggling so much to find language and structure techniques, but I think I did good on section b (well I hope 😅), how did you find it?

ofc!! yeah i found it weird aswell especially question 4 i was waffling so much icl hahah bc usually its always an agree question but this time it was strongly a disagree question but my teachers prior to the exam had told me to never agree and always disagree so as you can imagine i was baffled. but yeahh i did manage to waffle lol i found the story really good too (section b)
Reply 5
Original post by qas1232
you should get some marks as long as your analysis was valid. its done now dont stress you'll be fine im sure. you did do structure for q3 again tho right?

I hope so I don’t remember 😭 but I think so bc I didn’t realise the methods I used were structure til everyone told me they were more structural methods than language, so it wasn’t that I misunderstood the question, just that I didn’t realise my methods were structural, but I did analyse them in a language way
Reply 6
(Original post by qas1232)ofc!! yeah i found it weird aswell especially question 4 i was waffling so much icl hahah bc usually its always an agree question but this time it was strongly a disagree question but my teachers prior to the exam had told me to never agree and always disagree so as you can imagine i was baffled. but yeahh i did manage to waffle lol i found the story really good too (section b)

Original post by qas1232
ofc!! yeah i found it weird aswell especially question 4 i was waffling so much icl hahah bc usually its always an agree question but this time it was strongly a disagree question but my teachers prior to the exam had told me to never agree and always disagree so as you can imagine i was baffled. but yeahh i did manage to waffle lol i found the story really good too (section b)

YES I thought it was only me! Question 4 was so annoying, that was by far the cruelest question 4 I’ve ever done on English language!!
Reply 7

i wouldn't worry, you probably ended up analysing language without even realising it!!

structure is often what people tend to miss out/talk less about so it will show the examiner you're more proficient in structural analysis.

when i did my gcses my structure points often ended up with me also analysing language to some extent, so throughout your piece there is probably some material the examiner can take as language points anyways. to some degree there is crossover with some of the language and structure points you can make.

i wouldn't worry as even if there isn't, if you've done well on the other questions you should be fine and you still have the potential to score decently on this one too :smile:

hope this helps!!
Reply 8
Original post by m11m
i wouldn't worry, you probably ended up analysing language without even realising it!!

structure is often what people tend to miss out/talk less about so it will show the examiner you're more proficient in structural analysis.

when i did my gcses my structure points often ended up with me also analysing language to some extent, so throughout your piece there is probably some material the examiner can take as language points anyways. to some degree there is crossover with some of the language and structure points you can make.

i wouldn't worry as even if there isn't, if you've done well on the other questions you should be fine and you still have the potential to score decently on this one too :smile:

hope this helps!!

Thank you! This really helps!!
Reply 9
question 4 was so hard today aswell icl but the rest was goodd

(Original post by qas1232)ofc!! yeah i found it weird aswell especially question 4 i was waffling so much icl hahah bc usually its always an agree question but this time it was strongly a disagree question but my teachers prior to the exam had told me to never agree and always disagree so as you can imagine i was baffled. but yeahh i did manage to waffle lol i found the story really good too (section b)

YES I thought it was only me! Question 4 was so annoying, that was by far the cruelest question 4 I’ve ever done on English language!!
Reply 10

Hmmm paper I didn't go great. The text felt a bit simple, not much to pick out, and I didn't really get on with the prompts. However paper 2 went a bit better. I forgot some structure in q4 but overall, just okay 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending