The Student Room Group

A -Level English lit - how hard is it

Hi , I'm starting my A-levels this year and I'm doing English lit, I'm slightly worried just because I have no idea how I got an 8 at gcses cause I've never been good at it - in my mocks I got a 5.
but I've chosen it for a levels and I'm a bit scared because I don't know how hard it's going to be so if you have any tips or tricks that would be great or just what to expect in general
I really love to read and I've taken a look at the syllabus and I'm quite excited in that aspect.
thank you !!
Its hard in the beginning but its gets easier, once you understand what they are looking for.
I got a 7 at GCSE and an A* at A level... It's quite different from the GCSE but I enjoyed it a lot more. My main tips would be
- actually read the texts. You'd be surprised the number of people who think it makes the same difference to read summaries or watch the films. Summaries and films can be great, but as well as rather than instead of reading the books.
- don't worry about the grade you get in your first essay. Before you write each essay that follows, reread the comments your teacher gave in your last one and specifically focus on that.
- go through on Google and find lots of nice interesting literary techniques and practice annotating texts, especially poetry with them. This will make any unseen annotation so much easier.

Have fun, I loved A level English lit!
Reply 3
Original post by intheimageofGOD
Its hard in the beginning but its gets easier, once you understand what they are looking for.

do you know any good websites or people on youtube who are helpful ?? - for example with essay writing
Original post by 27huhpb
do you know any good websites or people on youtube who are helpful ?? - for example with essay writing

sorry didn't really use websites or youtubers much what I did do was look fro A* english lit essay and essentially copy them. yes literally copy them, steal their style of writing, their analysis everything and incorporate them into your style and thoughts. thats what I did and it worked. also quotes are key get good quotes for every essay possible. youll be fine trust me once you get the hang of it. I got a C in year 12 and then in yr 13 once i got the hang of it never got a anything lower than A other than my Alevels where i got a B which is still a sore area for me lol.
Reply 5
sorry didn't really use websites or youtubers much what I did do was look fro A* english lit essay and essentially copy them. yes literally copy them, steal their style of writing, their analysis everything and incorporate them into your style and thoughts. thats what I did and it worked. also quotes are key get good quotes for every essay possible. youll be fine trust me once you get the hang of it. I got a C in year 12 and then in yr 13 once i got the hang of it never got a anything lower than A other than my Alevels where i got a B which is still a sore area for me lol.

thats ok thank you so much for the essay tip tho i'll definitely keep that in mind :smile:. and congrats on the b its still really good

hello!! where do you find exemplar essays? I'm currently trying to find some online but I can't find any
i did english lit, chemistry and biology and in my opinion english lit was my hardest subject. I got a B in it, but honestly the revision i did for english lit was minimal you just have to make sure you know your texts very well and know what the mark scheme wants for a high mark

if you enjoy the subject, great! only pick subjects that you know you will enjoy doing

Quick Reply

Latest