The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Gexko
From what i've heard and my experience of beer prices in this part of the world, beer in uni bars is about £1 or £1.50 a pint whereas in the town it'll be more like £2.40 upwards (maybe £2 for ale).

Not too bad at all, I guess the trick is to get a few in at uni bars then go on out. Can't help but feel a bit excited, because I've seen how many nice looking bars there are just along park street and down into the docks area alone!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
Phil_D
lol, we'll see won't we. Rafa's European Champions are full of surprises.

@Haz - Yeah, i'm sorry. It was a bit harsh - harsh but true. :biggrin:

:eek:

you'll be laughing on the other side of your face when the mighty Blues stuff you 4-0 at Anfield!

"full of surprises" - like their complete and utter lack of ability to perform in the premiership :p:
Yeah, you can affiliate to a hall, pay JCR subscriptions and basically join in with all their ents. :smile:
Reply 23
leeeo
Not too bad at all, I guess the trick is to get a few in at uni bars then go on out. Can't help but feel a bit excited, because I've seen how many nice looking bars there are just along park street and down into the docks area alone!

I still think i need to convince some people to come with me to the Engineer opposite Temple Meads station :smile: A proper pub.
Reply 24
susiemakemeblue
Yeah, you can affiliate to a hall, pay JCR subscriptions and basically join in with all their ents. :smile:

is everyone on TSR and blocking me on MSN or something?

most upsetting.
Reply 25
Zakatu
i would have thought some halls would have sky, or perhaps subscriptions cost more for a hall than a house, i dunno.

Most of the halls have freeview, not Sky. Sorry!

leeeo
Thanks for the advice, I will certainly be sure to conduct a large part of my drinking there. I really hope the Hiatt Baker bar is as good as it looks, because I saw the one in CHH and that looked rather small and generally disjointed. Out of interest, how much more expensive is it to drink out compared to hall bars? (a rough estimate would do fine )

Yeah, average hall bar prices are £1.60/pint / £2 - £2.50 for a double spirit + mixer, £1/pint / £1.50 dbl+mix in happy hour. There will be a little variance between hall prices - just bear in mind that the smaller halls (usually the self-catered ones) can't bulk buy to the extent of the bigger halls (like HB), so their prices are a little higher. There's usually only about 10p in it though, and the self-catered bars are usually much nicer in terms of decor, anyway :smile:.

midloon
What about those who get put into student houses? (Still havnt heard from accomodation yet - a tad worried as others seem to be getting offers) Can you still hang out at hall bars?

Yup - you'll probably make friends with tons of people in various halls, and there's nothing stopping you using their bars. You usually just have to sign a signing-in book when you turn up there.
Gexko
is everyone on TSR and blocking me on MSN or something?

most upsetting.

I'm not blocking you, I'm blocking everyone, hon :hugs:
Reply 27
Gexko
like their complete and utter lack of ability to perform in the premiership :p:

Which made beating Roman's millions and the miracle of Istanbul all the sweeter, my friend. :wink:
Reply 28
Peter_E
Most of the halls have freeview, not Sky. Sorry!

Well, that's a bit crap, isn't it? A place selling alcohol without Sky Sports? That's lunacy. Well, i'm afraid i will have to take my business elsewhere whenever LFC are on Sky.
Reply 29
Phil_D
Well, that's a bit crap, isn't it? A place selling alcohol without Sky Sports? That's lunacy. Well, i'm afraid i will have to take my business elsewhere whenever LFC are on Sky.

Hall bars are put in the same class as standard pubs/bars etc in terms of the entertainments license needed for Sky. It would cost about £3000 a year. :frown:
Reply 30
Phil_D

And i'll come with you *turns nose up at lack of Skysports*
Reply 31
Phil_D
Which made beating Roman's millions and the miracle of Istanbul all the sweeter, my friend. :wink:

ahem. 1-0 at anfield. That was sweet :smile:
Reply 32
Peter_E
Hall bars are put in the same class as standard pubs/bars etc in terms of the entertainments license needed for Sky. It would cost about £3000 a year. :frown:

ah, thought there would be a good reason.... seems a bit silly though, seeing as the bar isn't a public place (is it?).

Just a thought, do many halls have dart boards, pool tables, etc?
Reply 33
Zakatu
ah, thought there would be a good reason.... seems a bit silly though, seeing as the bar isn't a public place (is it?).

Just a thought, do many halls have dart boards, pool tables, etc?

It's classed as a private members' club, i think. Hence falls under the same rules. And yes, most of them do have pool tables. Not sure which ones have darts boards nowadays, they seem to be going out of fashion.
Reply 34
Zakatu

'tis cos its not like we're all family or ought.
Reply 35
Gexko
ahem. 1-0 at anfield. That was sweet :smile:

What? The league game? You seem to be confusing the word "sweet" with "cheat". Or did Tiago not realise he wasn't actually playing in a basketball match?

No, no, no, no, no, no. Being 3 nil down at half time and coming back to win the European Cup for the 5th time. Now, that was sweet. Beating you lot by a dodgey goal at Anfield in the semi was just a warm up. :wink:
Reply 36
Phil_D
What? The league game? You seem to be confusing the word "sweet" with "cheat". Or did Tiago not realise he wasn't actually playing in a basketball match?

No, no, no, no, no, no. Being 3 nil down at half time and coming back to win the European Cup for the 5th time. Now, that was sweet. Beating you lot by a dodgey goal at Anfield in the semi was just a warm up. :wink:

Speaking of dodgy goals...

Luis Garcia scored the winner which never was i seem to recall!

You stole our European cup!

But at least this year we are amongst the top 1 in the race to win the champions league :biggrin:
Reply 37
Gexko
Speaking of dodgy goals...

Luis Garcia scored the winner which never was i seem to recall!

That's precisely the dodgey goal i was talking about. :wink:
Reply 38
HEY, according to my Badock Hall booklet, the Badock bar does have Sky TV. "42" plasma screen with Sky TV". YEAH!!

I've just gotta hope they have Sky Sports now!!
Reply 39
Cool cool, hope wherever i end up has Sky sports :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending