The Student Room Group

advice for this years GCSE students

just thought these points might help you get through year 11....

year 11 is a really tough year......its all about courseworks....dont think courseworks are unimportant. It can do a MASSIVE difference to your grade.....

Dont think just because you have a year to go for your GCSE's you can pay less attention to mocks, topic tests and so on. Trust me, it is these exams which determine whether you will be doing foundation, intermediate or higher. I'm sure you wouldn't want to do foundation, thinking that the highest grade (even if you get 100%) is a C!

Pay attention to your teachers. When they say look through your notes when you go home....LOOK THROUGH THEM. What usually happens is that students dont really pay attention to their teachers in class and tend to look at their notes the day before their exams. DONT DO THIS and keep refreshing your brain. You dont have to learn the notes...just read them.... skim through them every day so that when the day of the exam comes you have a clear idea of what to revise...you'd be more confident. It is not a nice feeling to look at your books and come face to face with a whole bunch of notes that you haven't look at for months. :eek:

In english, you tend to do poems. Make notes for every poem. Be alert when your teacher gives good points. These points can increase your mark.

If your freinds are the type of people who dont revise or think that revision are for geeks :rolleyes: ...dont listen to them. Let them ruin their lives and get D's E's and F's. Focus on yourself because its your future, your life and your grades. Everyone is alone on the exam day....no cheating...no hints...no going back.....you have to make use of the time you got.

Year 11 wasn't a tough year for me because i went according to these points and got my grades. These exams are really important and it only comes once....MAKE SURE YOU DO AS MUCH AS YOU CAN to get those grades....... :tsr:

thanx

milli
Reply 1
Excellent guide! :smile: Year 11's take notice of this! All true!
Reply 2
yea good guide. GCSEs are extremely important. Some people only learn that the hard way :frown:. Make sure your coursework marks are higher in subjects where you are close to a boundary (ie. A*/A or B/C etc.).
Reply 3
Can't believe starting Monday we'll be last years GCSE students :redface: Become grown up A levellers.

Anyway, yep this is a great guide, also pay attention to the "Everybody's free to wear sunscreen" by Baz Luhrmann, it got me through year 11. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Remember - it's not the hours you put in, it's what you put in to the hours! Try and make the time you spend studying enjoyable, but most of all, productive. Look at what you've achieved, so you can feel you're getting somewhere

spend some time working through past papers. This helps you to see that the work you put in is making a difference, as well as identifying areas that need more work.
Just as professional athletes do, make sure that your academic abilities peak just before you sit the exams......

.....and then forget it all. :biggrin:
Reply 6
lol.............................was just about to say that
Reply 7
Ion Tests :eek:
wow thanks thats all great advice, i'm going into year 11 and its kinda scary knowing everything i do really matters.
thanks again
-x-
Excellent guide.
Wow, i wish i had that when i started year 11 it would have helped! I wish id done a page a day of revision because it soon adds up!
Again, excellent guide :smile:
Coursework may save your life...
Reply 12
DO NOT CRAM

Trust me, I crammed everything this year and for Science exams I didnt sleep for 24 hours which resulted in me not remembering anything in the exam. I was worried sick from the end of exams until results day !!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for the pointers, i'll definately be sure to keep them in mind
Reply 14
WantA*
DO NOT CRAM

Trust me, I crammed everything this year and for Science exams I didnt sleep for 24 hours which resulted in me not remembering anything in the exam. I was worried sick from the end of exams until results day !!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, on the other hand all I did was last minute cramming and it paid off! Don't know why but if I read something the night before, I remember it really well the following day. Use the mocks to experiment which revision method is best for you. Oh - and you must try to write down stuff without any books, even if you think you don't need to. In this way you prove that you remember what you have just read, and it sticks more. Don't worry though - Year 11 is really frantic and busy that it goes really quickly! I still remember when I had 20 more weeks till exams....and now less than a week to go til 6th Form!

Latest