The Student Room Group

WJEC GCSE English Language Grade Boundaries

Just a question about grades for WJEC GCSE English Lang.

I got 63/80 (B) in my English Language C/W which is worth 20%

And I got 68/80 (A) in my English Language Oral which is worth 20%

Anybody know what mark, if it's at all possible, I would need to acheive in the main exam(s), to get an overall A*?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm pretty sure 63/80 is more than a B? That's 79 % so around an A.
So yeah, you should be able to achieve an A* based on your oral and coursework grades.
So your oral and coursework marks added up amount to 33% of the possible 40% of the final percentage of marks from oral and coursework. So you can get an A* easily :biggrin:
Reply 2
Awesome, thank you
Isnt english language 30% coursework?
Reply 4
Extricated

That's English Literature
Ryaaaaannnnn
Just a question about grades for WJEC GCSE English Lang.

I got 63/80 (B) in my English Language C/W which is worth 20%

And I got 68/80 (A) in my English Language Oral which is worth 20%

Anybody know what mark, if it's at all possible, I would need to acheive in the main exam(s), to get an overall A*?

That's an average of 82% which is A (90% is A*, 80% is A, 70% B etc). So you'd need to get a good 80% ish still to secure an A, 90%ish for A* and a high C in the exam should still guarantee you a B etc.

Ignore the other plonker.

Extricated

Nope, it's 40% coursework with each exam paper being 30%.

Ysbryd
I'm pretty sure 63/80 is more than a B? That's 79 % so around an A.
So yeah, you should be able to achieve an A* based on your oral and coursework grades.
So your oral and coursework marks added up amount to 33% of the possible 40% of the final percentage of marks from oral and coursework. So you can get an A* easily :biggrin:

Please don't lie/fill him with false hope :s-smilie: In ALL WJEC courses, the boundaries are:
90%+ a*
80%+ a
70%+ b

and so on, and I calculated it using the specification for him above. Perhaps you may be referring to a different version of the course? (There's Spec A and B which vary from my memory).
jbeach09
That's an average of 82% which is A (90% is A*, 80% is A, 70% B etc). So you'd need to get a good 80% ish still to secure an A, 90%ish for A* and a high C in the exam should still guarantee you a B etc.

Ignore the other plonker.

Nope, it's 40% coursework with each exam paper being 30%.

Please don't lie/fill him with false hope :s-smilie: In ALL WJEC courses, the boundaries are:
90%+ a*
80%+ a
70%+ b

and so on, and I calculated it using the specification for him above. Perhaps you may be referring to a different version of the course? (There's Spec A and B which vary from my memory).

If i get 73/80 in my coursework, what do i need approximately in order to achieve an A*
Extricated
If i get 73/80 in my coursework, what do i need approximately in order to achieve an A*

That's 91% so just A*. You still need to aim for 90%ish in the exams, it just means you could probably afford around 88% instead of 90 etc.
Reply 8
hey guys, in my mock i got a medium B but in my coursework i got 74/80 but my orals were 60/80
i just want an A and i was just wondering what i need to get to achieve that in the exam tommorow
thanks
Reply 9
Ok, well, WJEC have sent me the Grade boundaries for June 2009 exams, and for English Language they were:

303/400 A*

265/400 A

227/400 B

etc.

303/400 = 75%

This seems weirldly low if you ask me :s-smilie:
Ryaaaaannnnn
Ok, well, WJEC have sent me the Grade boundaries for June 2009 exams, and for English Language they were:

303/400 A*

265/400 A

227/400 B

etc.

303/400 = 75%

This seems weirldly low if you ask me :s-smilie:

It was very weirdly low. I had A* in coursework, completely ****** the exam up and got a C, came out with a 'B' overall if that helps. I think a high A will get me A* this time.
Reply 11
Given that you scored 85% in your coursework i believe you would need 95% to average A*, equaly above 75% and your still guaranteed an A.
Reply 12
303/400 for an A*?? Does that seem really low to anyone?? Surely its more??
Reply 13
Ryaaaaannnnn

303/400 A*

265/400 A

227/400 B

Where did you get those boundaries from? :smile:
Reply 14
I'm not sure how the total mark is 80...
Isn't it 80 per paper 1 and 2 so thats 160 and 80 and 80 for cwk and speaking?? Hmmm....

If the grade boundaries are that low, well that would be great then!!
Reply 15
sj:)
Where did you get those boundaries from? :smile:

Emailed WJEC. I have the official tables from them, if anybody wants it, for 2008 and 2009.

Turns out that the 2008 boundaries are pretty much the same as the 2009 ones.
Reply 16
Ryaaaaannnnn
Emailed WJEC. I have the official tables from them, if anybody wants it, for 2008 and 2009.

Turns out that the 2008 boundaries are pretty much the same as the 2009 ones.

Hii, Can I have the official tables please :smile: ??
Do you have any idea for how total marks are out of 400???

How did you find the exam?? Thanks x
Reply 17
10 Dreamer

Marks are out of 400 because of the uniform scale, for instance if coursework is 25% of your course and you have 3 exams , even if they are out of 80, they just use percentages to get the uniform mark.
Reply 18
10 Dreamer

I've sent you a message :smile:
Reply 19
Rakas21
Marks are out of 400 because of the uniform scale, for instance if coursework is 25% of your course and you have 3 exams , even if they are out of 80, they just use percentages to get the uniform mark.

Oh right....That makes much more sense :smile:
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending