The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lol I can see how Barbie could lead to a thin - fixation - and maybe a large breast fixation too lol, as strange as it sounds she is a little out of proportion in that area :confused:
but still, anorexia! come on...
Yes it is a bit OTT - where did you hear/read this out of interest?
I read about it in the paper today. I think it's true. Kids like Barbie and will think they ahev to be like her.
loradora68
Yes it is a bit OTT - where did you hear/read this out of interest?

it was on loose women
Reply 6
I think that the trend of putting super-thin models into teen magazines, and fashion magazines (which most fashion-conscious teen girls) has more to do with it than barbie. So does the fact that Hollywood stars are always slim if not very skinny.

Barbie probably doesn't help, though.
Mata
I think that the trend of putting super-thin models into teen magazines, and fashion magazines (which most fashion-conscious teen girls) has more to do with it than barbie. So does the fact that Hollywood stars are always slim if not very skinny.

Barbie probably doesn't help, though.

yeah but barbie is fat compared to some of the supermodels about!
Mrs. Political
it was on loose women

How can you watch that programme? :eek: They use the most unsubstantiated reports, usually from the Sun/Star and have a crappy debate about it. my little sister had loads of barbies as a child and unless i'm much mistaken, i've never heard her saying "oh i wish i could look like barbie".

ollie :biggrin:
Not sure I would agree on a direct link between Barbie's body and anorexia, but she's a prime example of our youth/beauty obsessed world, which is probably the major cause. As Mata said, the models and stick thin celebrities plastered everywhere are far worse.
Mata
I think that the trend of putting super-thin models into teen magazines, and fashion magazines (which most fashion-conscious teen girls) has more to do with it than barbie. So does the fact that Hollywood stars are always slim if not very skinny. QUOTE]

:ditto:, what many people don't realise is a lot of these actresses/models are seriously underweight and probably putting their health at risk - just look at Lindsay Lohan. She was a great role model before - now she seems to have succumb to the Hollywood pressures too and is collapsing in public :frown:.
well barbie has a figure which is actually impossible to be achieved by women. it is jsut not physically possible, but why would people look at barbie and want to have a waist that tiny and breasts that large, surely anorexia can't be pinned down to that, i blame television and having the perfect glamour models on all the time, who look stick thin, people want to be like other people... not a silly plastic doll!
did you know, that if barbie was in proportion to normal people, she would be seven feet tall, have to have corrective foot surgery(because of her crazy insteps), need walking sticks becasue her feet are so small, wouldnt be able to mentruate and would probably be weelchair bound!
i know who i dont want to grow up to be like!
Reply 13
eleanor.ellis
did you know, that if barbie was in proportion to normal people, she would be seven feet tall, have to have corrective foot surgery(because of her crazy insteps), need walking sticks becasue her feet are so small, wouldnt be able to mentruate and would probably be weelchair bound!
i know who i dont want to grow up to be like!

I heard that Barbie would actually be dead! Her body couldn't support all the inner organs needed.

I think that when it becomes a 'problem' is when the media (hollywood, magazines etc) are marketing something very unhealthy as in 'ideal body type' or as 'physical perfection'. For example catwalk models - a very tiny percentage of the population naturally has that ectomorphic body type with very little fat. The rest of us would have to starve ourselves, yet to wear the most 'prestigious' clothes, this is the model (literally) that we're being given.
Reply 14
I don't get why Barbie even needs to look like that. They're for little girls to play with, not pervy men!

Cxx
she should have a big belly, weigh at last half a stone (as a doll) have small boobs, large arse etc etc, then the psychiatrists will be happy- or will they? hmmmmm........
Reply 16
When you consider in Hollywood that an actress such as Kiery Knightly a size 12 is considered 'fat' then you really learn what a sick culture it is we live in. (I read this in an interview with her somewhere.) Hollywood is much more to blame in the modern times for these issues, although Barbie is a huge role model to alot younger children who may not be absorbed in the celebrity world just yet.
Hanzing
When you consider in Hollywood that an actress such as Kiery Knightly a size 12 is considered 'fat' then you really learn what a sick culture it is we live in. (I read this in an interview with her somewhere.) Hollywood is much more to blame in the modern times for these issues, although Barbie is a huge role model to alot younger children who may not be absorbed in the celebrity world just yet.

no way is she size 12! she's as small as posh spice who is size 6
People that get anorexia have been said to have biological factors that make them susceptible to forming anorexia. Genetic factors also can make you more susceptible to get bulimia or compulsive overeating. Environmental factors can also cause eating disorders of any kind. Reserch shows that when studying twins that 50 percent of identical twins get anorexic and 8 percent of fraternal twins, when the illness is already present in one of the twins. This is probably due to genetics aswell as environmental factors as it is a family unit that lives in the same area.

People that get anorexia also useually have high seritonin levels which determine appetite, although saying this not all anorexics have this to begin with and when the mental disease forms it can cause abnormalities to the seritonin levels in the brain which causes more problems for the person with the disease. Also just because a person does have abnormal levels of seritonin it doesn't mean that they will form an eating disorder.

Anorexia is usually triggered by something such as; pupity, a death in the family, parents divorce, a relationship break-up, bullying and other stresses are all potential triggers for anorexia. However just because one or a few of these happen it does not automaticaly mean a person will get anorexia or any other eating disorder, they are only typical triggers and sometimes none of these can be the reason for an eating disorder so it's hard to tell.

Dancers, models and actresses are in a feild of work/area that are likely to suffer from anorexia and/or bulimia because of the communities veiw of the people who are involved.

Ever since a dancer of a thin build who was five foot five all other dancers were encouraged by the dancing community to be skinny and less than five foot five. If they were a bigger build or taller than five foot five their dreams were squashed. However now the height factor is not useually an issue although the build still is to an extent. Female dancers feel that if they aren't light enough for the male dancer to pick her up when needed that she is not a good dancer. This causes distress and can form an eating disorder to try and combat her problem.

With models I find that they have to look nearly emicated for them to be in a top skinny model. I find it stupid that a size 12 woman is seen to be an "over size model." Size 12 is a respectible size :smile: (a size 16 is average in this country at the moment after all :smile: ). This just inforces to woman that to be seen as thin you have to be a size 10 or below :mad: . This is not a healthy thing to make woman feel. They constantly strive to be seen as thin. The thing is in doing so they can be harming themselves by giving themselves an eating disorder. Also some peoples bones make it so they would have to be either anorexic and/or bulimic to get into the desired size 10 to make it so they are not seen as overweight.

If Barbie was human sized, she would stand five foot six inches tall, weigh 110 pounds, and have a thirty nine inch bust, eighteen inch waist, and thirty three inch hips. This is unrealistic as all of us know but I feel that 3+ year olds are not going to look at their Barbie and think " you know what I really want to look like this when I'm older."

I feel that it is ridiculous that the Barbie is said to be a trigger for children forming anorexia later on in life as I have clearly stated that there are more pressing factors that are more likely to be the cause of such eating disorders.

Man sorry for the long post but I feel strongly on this :smile: .
Reply 19
Mrs. Political
no way is she size 12! she's as small as posh spice who is size 6

Now that is why I thought, But its what was printed by her admission.

Doom_and_Gloom get yourself over to the Psych Soc you know your stuff girl :smile:

Although there are obvious links of Anorexia through that of Biological factors, and Gentic factors shown through twin studies and Families we do also need to remember the idea of the Biolocal and Society interaction. In a typical Diathesis stress model Genetics may set up a vulnerbazility to anorexia but social factors may ultimately create the trigger for the respjse. So scoietys praise of Barbie, and the skinny figures in hollywood and on Tv could be a perfectly explainalbe account for some cases of anorexia. And as a girl diets, the gratification from these and from her close family and friends can cpompound this and lead it on.

Latest

Trending

Trending