The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath social life? boring?

I've firmed Bath over Birmingham for economics but am now having 2nd thoughts, thinking whether i would enjoy spending 3 years there. Birmingham seems like a fun place to live, but bath seems like an old isolated town with nothing to do. Honest opinions please, what is there to do in the city, and on campus, do you ever regret going there? do you think going bham would make much difference to my career?
Reply 1
Ecojam
I've firmed Bath over Birmingham for economics but am now having 2nd thoughts, thinking whether i would enjoy spending 3 years there. Birmingham seems like a fun place to live, but bath seems like an old isolated town with nothing to do. Honest opinions please, what is there to do in the city, and on campus, do you ever regret going there? do you think going bham would make much difference to my career?

(This is about University of Bath, not Bath spa, as that makes more sense, but tell me if i'm wrong.)

I see what you mean about it being isolated but tbh.. its not that isolated as you may think, there are frequent and numerous buses to and from the Bath city centre all the time :smile:. Its only roughly a 30-40 minute walk if you want to anyway :biggrin:

And whenever i've been out clubbing in Bath there has always been plenttyyy of Bath students. Honestly, ok .. i've ehard peopled who i know from Bath who say Bath nights out arent that great, not compared to Bristol anyway. But it is still there.. and not too bad.

Apart from nights out, the whole place is amazing. You'll be joining with a whole new shopping centre, named Southgate.. check it out. A long with plenty of highstreets including very posh brands up some of the streets, there are plenty of places to shop , and get jobs.

The kind of.. environment with its gardens and everything is amazing.

There is this one place called parade gardens i believe, and this is where me and my girlfriends first date was, amazing "park" area, right next to a river and when it is sunny the council? put on lots of sunbeds and everyone goes there, and this is JUST one place.. there are so many more.

There are lots of amazing place to eat too, i always chose it over Bristol, and the train and bus links are pretty good tbh, especially to Bristol.. which is very good if you want a day out. Because Bristol has equally as good shopping with Cabot Circus and everything else, but it has a betetr nightlife.

All in all, its not going to be the best.. but It's not as bad as I think you think it is so dont worry :smile:

Need any other info, email me
Frequent visitor of Bath for its shopping and clubbing, same with Bristol :rolleyes:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Ecojam

You'll be fine, there is plenty to do in Bath and provided you're a little proactive you'll always have something to do i.e.

Night out wise:

There's always a decent club to go to in town on a Monday (student) night, and they're generally pretty good on sat and fri too. The union club (Elements) does stuff on Wed, Fri and Sat nights which are usually pretty good. (although I'm informed Friday night tailed off dramatically this year - being on placement for this year I didn't experience it). The uni organises a coach to Bristol every Thursday which costs about £8 return and usually includes either entry or discounted entry into the big clubs in Bristol, trains and buses to Bristol are easy too if you fancy it on a different night.

Clubs, Sports and Societies:

So you might have notice Bath is big on sports! facilities and people to play with are usually pretty abundant. There are always loads of things to get involved in. If you find you're getting bored just join a new society - learn to kayak, play tennis, start karate or something. The union has most of the kit to loan out so it wont even cost you. Plus all of the clubs have regular socials and nothing's stopping you from just joining as a social member either in fact some clubs like snow sports encourage it.

In Town:

Like the person above mentioned there are plenty of restaurants etc. in Bath and I'm told that it has the highest pub to person ratio in the country! There's a cinema, theatre and nice new shopping complex they are also looking to reopen the quasar in town for next year too. Plus being a world heritage city plenty of museums and national trust sites to look around. Bristol also has plenty to do and get's some good bands and shows and like I said before trains and buses makes it easy to get to.

I've never regretted going to Bath, It's a really nice place to live and I've never been short of things to do! It's a also a quality uni and the placement scheme is second to none (I'd defo recommend doing a placement if you can). The only thing I can say against Bath is it's nowhere near the sea (I come from Poole/Bournemouth Area which has some of the best beaches in the country) but you wont get that in bham either!

Hope that helps and feel free to ask me any further questions - also check out the Bath SU Web Site for a list of all the clubs etc.

Cheers

Jon
jtanz0
The only thing I can say against Bath is it's nowhere near the sea (I come from Poole/Bournemouth Area which has some of the best beaches in the country) but you wont get that in bham either!

Weston Super Mare isn't that far. About an hour driving or by train.
As for Bath itself, I think it depends where your from. If you are from (or used to) places like London, then of course you will find Bath a bit quiet. But if your from a smaller city, town or village, then you'll find Bath easily has enough for you.
Reply 4
I am having the same thoughts... I firmed Bath over ucl and sheffield...I hope I didnt make the wrong choice I am a party person. :woo:
Reply 5
Hmm Bath sounds pretty good, but I think the best nights will be had in Bristol. Going there once a week sounds feasible, so I think it'll be quite good actually.

Plus, Bath has a massive focus on sports, which means there'll be less fat people, which is awesome too.
Reply 6
WelshBluebird
Weston Super Mare isn't that far. About an hour driving or by train.
As for Bath itself, I think it depends where your from. If you are from (or used to) places like London, then of course you will find Bath a bit quiet. But if your from a smaller city, town or village, then you'll find Bath easily has enough for you.

Problem is after growing up with the Poole/Bournemouth beaches the Weston Super Mare one's are just a massive disappointment - but I guess I'm a bit spoilt on that front :P
Reply 7
Guys if you want to go out loads there is more than enough nights in Bath. A night out every night apart from Sunday if you want, the uni clubs nights are always good if you go with enough mates and the nights out in town are pretty good too.
Im from a small town but I love going out and I promise you, you wont be left wanting at Bath, I had the same worries but I bloody love it now!
Reply 8
Ecojam

the only people who get bored are boring people...you'll find ways to entertain yourself :biggrin: but in all seriousness I don't think Bath will be that bad but if you don't enjoy it there it'll probably have a negative effect on your studies, so if you actually like Bham more...go there, its not all about reputation Jam :P
more importantly bath eco >>>>>> birmingham eco :p:
Reply 10
jtanz0
You'll be fine, there is plenty to do in Bath and provided you're a little proactive you'll always have something to do i.e.

Night out wise:

There's always a decent club to go to in town on a Monday (student) night, and they're generally pretty good on sat and fri too. The union club (Elements) does stuff on Wed, Fri and Sat nights which are usually pretty good. (although I'm informed Friday night tailed off dramatically this year - being on placement for this year I didn't experience it). The uni organises a coach to Bristol every Thursday which costs about £8 return and usually includes either entry or discounted entry into the big clubs in Bristol, trains and buses to Bristol are easy too if you fancy it on a different night.

Clubs, Sports and Societies:

So you might have notice Bath is big on sports! facilities and people to play with are usually pretty abundant. There are always loads of things to get involved in. If you find you're getting bored just join a new society - learn to kayak, play tennis, start karate or something. The union has most of the kit to loan out so it wont even cost you. Plus all of the clubs have regular socials and nothing's stopping you from just joining as a social member either in fact some clubs like snow sports encourage it.

In Town:

Like the person above mentioned there are plenty of restaurants etc. in Bath and I'm told that it has the highest pub to person ratio in the country! There's a cinema, theatre and nice new shopping complex they are also looking to reopen the quasar in town for next year too. Plus being a world heritage city plenty of museums and national trust sites to look around. Bristol also has plenty to do and get's some good bands and shows and like I said before trains and buses makes it easy to get to.

I've never regretted going to Bath, It's a really nice place to live and I've never been short of things to do! It's a also a quality uni and the placement scheme is second to none (I'd defo recommend doing a placement if you can). The only thing I can say against Bath is it's nowhere near the sea (I come from Poole/Bournemouth Area which has some of the best beaches in the country) but you wont get that in bham either!

Hope that helps and feel free to ask me any further questions - also check out the Bath SU Web Site for a list of all the clubs etc.

Cheers

Jon

Hi
I am thinking of applying to Bath I've just been to the open day .It all seemed good and students I spoke to there loved it. Do you know any one on the Chemical Engineering course if so could you ask them what they think of the dept. I am planning M Eng 5 year sandwich so it would be a long time studying there if i didnt like it !!
tim93
Hi
I am thinking of applying to Bath I've just been to the open day .It all seemed good and students I spoke to there loved it. Do you know any one on the Chemical Engineering course if so could you ask them what they think of the dept. I am planning M Eng 5 year sandwich so it would be a long time studying there if i didnt like it !!

jesus christ stop bumping these epicly old threads

you make your social life, not the city. Someone could be at london and have a **** social life whereas someone at warwick, which is in the middle of nowhere, could have an amazing social life
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
tim93
Hi

Hi I don't know anyone specifically doing chemical engineering but I have a fair few friends who do engineering courses in general and they love it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Jon

Latest