The Student Room Group

Uni of Manchester vs Bath Maths Stats (and Data Science)

Please can someone help me choose between the two unis. I like them both but they're so different. Rank and reputation do play a huge factor and which one has a better employer reputation. It's just Bath is higher ranked in the UK but so low internationally which is the opposite to manchester. And the nightlife is waayy better in manc than bath. idkk which to firm and insure.
Original post by starpixie28
Please can someone help me choose between the two unis. I like them both but they're so different. Rank and reputation do play a huge factor and which one has a better employer reputation. It's just Bath is higher ranked in the UK but so low internationally which is the opposite to manchester. And the nightlife is waayy better in manc than bath. idkk which to firm and insure.

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics with Statistics student at Lancaster University. Firstly, well done on getting offers to two very good universities. I understand the stress of reputation and how it may affect your future but at the end of the day getting the highest possible grade is normally better than getting a lower grade at another university. So I would suggest having a look at each course and seeing which one looks more interesting to you and if either of their assessment styles is better for you. Also, choosing to go to one university because you prefer the nightlife or general area more is fine because enjoying being there and having a healthy social life will help your degree as well. Whatever you choose I am sure you will do great there! Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics with Statistics student at Lancaster University. Firstly, well done on getting offers to two very good universities. I understand the stress of reputation and how it may affect your future but at the end of the day getting the highest possible grade is normally better than getting a lower grade at another university. So I would suggest having a look at each course and seeing which one looks more interesting to you and if either of their assessment styles is better for you. Also, choosing to go to one university because you prefer the nightlife or general area more is fine because enjoying being there and having a healthy social life will help your degree as well. Whatever you choose I am sure you will do great there! Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Hi,

I am a year 12 student studying a level maths further maths physics and computer science. i have been to this country for less than two years so still exploring the college
if you don't mind i would like to get some information on the following points:
1) What were should be the predicted grades?
2)what sort of extra curriculum activities to be done to write about it in your personal subject?

thanks.
Hi Amy,

Thank you for your reply! Your absolutely right at the end of the day its the course that really matters, I have looked at both courses and I do much prefer the one at Bath as it's very flexible and has a placement or study abroad year. The only reasons im put of is because Bath is really expensive, looks boring and theres a huge lack of diversity there. Thank you so much again for your input and I hope you're enjoying your course at Lancaster. One question I did have was what does the coursework in maths entail?
Original post by spotifyjust1245
Hi,

I am a year 12 student studying a level maths further maths physics and computer science. i have been to this country for less than two years so still exploring the college
2)what sort of extra curriculum activities to be done to write about it in your personal subject?

thanks.

Hi, did you want info from me or from Amy?
Original post by spotifyjust1245
Hi,

thanks.

1) The official grade requirements are AAB, with one of the A's being in either maths or further maths. However, I got into Lancaster during Clearing and they had lowered the grade requirements to ABC with no subject specific grades required.
2) I'm not sure about this. The universities definitely factor your personal statement into their decisions, although it is usually not the most important factor.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Hi Amy,

Thank you for your reply! Your absolutely right at the end of the day its the course that really matters, I have looked at both courses and I do much prefer the one at Bath as it's very flexible and has a placement or study abroad year. The only reasons im put of is because Bath is really expensive, looks boring and theres a huge lack of diversity there. Thank you so much again for your input and I hope you're enjoying your course at Lancaster. One question I did have was what does the coursework in maths entail?

I am also doing Maths at Lancaster, although I am only in my second year and only half of my modules are in maths this year (I am on a combined course).

In the first year, I had to submit two assessed exercises per week on paper which were not easy but they were still manageable. I also had to submit two online multiple-choice quizzes per week which were mostly easy. Although I was doing computer science as the other subject, you could choose it as a minor subject. My coursework in it was mostly confined to the weekly computer labs.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Hi there,

Deciding between universities is a tough decision as there are so many factors at play.

For starters I would recommend looking through the mathematics courses at each of the unis and see if you can find out the modules you will study and work you will produce. This may give you an insight into what you’re interested in as each university may have slightly different modules for the course.

Second you want to consider the learning environment for the courses. I cannot comment on Manchester, however Bath has a huge host of support for students including well-being services, financial support, student mentors, personal tutors etc, so whatever you may struggle with there will be support there to assist you through and ensure you are able to learn and perform at your best throughout the course so you get the most out of your degree.

There are also the great job prospects which follow. Bath has great connections to a lot of companies for both placement and graduate options and assist you a lot in finding a career during and post studies. Bath has a great employability rate so this is definitely a positive factor!

Furthermore, you want to consider outside the scope of academics and consider where you will be living for the year. It would be worth looking into what each of the cities have to offer such as aesthetic, night life, restaurants, supermarkets etc. Personally, Bath has been great in terms of things to do, super easy transport links between the city centre/student housing areas and the university. The nightlife is less than Manchester however there is usually always some type of social occurring and Bristol is only ten minutes on the train or 30 minutes on the bus if you wanted something livelier.

Overall, you’ll want to consider all aspects of both universities. Good luck with your decision!

- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 8

Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest