The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure how it would work at AS as I haven't started them yet, but at GCSE I think it was the commitment and enthusiasm of my teachers which contributed significantly to both my motivation and final results.
Reply 2
teachers play a very important role... i had n stil hav in my A2 useless teachers for bio n chem... n i can only cope up by studyin on my own...n most students of r class r taking tuitionz... daz the only way we can get gud marks... teachers r one of da key factors for gettin g8t markz.. but first n foremost chose wat u want to study the most....
Reply 3
Believe me at A level the teachers u get r vry important :eek:
Had a crap teacher for Chem but if you put in your own effort with self study, and ask the right questions when you do go to class, then you can get through. Although it is an excuse, you cant use the excuse that you had a crap teacher to explain a poor grade. Its gonna be on you CV for life so you just have to work with whatever you have.
My German AS class all hated our teacher, but when she left suddenly at the start of A2s and left us without a teacher for about 3 months, we all wanted her back.

Teachers are always important, especially in languages which need a special type of teaching coz it's not something you can really pick up on your own
A good teacher can make all the difference, and I'm sure one of the reasons I love geography (and am doing it for my degree) is because of my enthusiastic teachers who believed I could always get top grades (unlike certain other teachers who predicted me Bs half way through upper 6th - I got As in both subjects! hah!). A teacher who actually teaches is a good start, unlike my biology ones who just read from a textbook half the time. Don't avoid a subject because of a bad teacher if you think you have the motivation to work that little bit harder to ensure you get a good grade. It's so annoying when you have crap teachers but get a good grade because the teacher thinks they're great! :mad:
Reply 7
in my opinion, a good teacher helps a lot.. but if you dont have one, one can normally put in the effort - eg. more backgroud reading, asking other people, using the net, other teachers etc and get the same results
just easier and lazier with a good teacher :p:
if you love a subject - go for it. At my school its impossible to know which teacher you would get + different sets etc...
Reply 8
A good teacher is defonatly an major help.

I did DT product design as/a2, the teacher was a sound guy, and lessons was always fun, BUT he never actually teached us anything or made us get stuff in to deadlines.
- So 2months from compleateding the course, i had dont less than half of the two years worth of coasework, and know none of the sylabas at all.
- With help from my mum, and a lot of hard work over thos few weeks, i pulled though, and got a B, but i didnt recomend it to my sister when she though you might to DT GCSE.

A good teacher makes a world of diffrence, but if your really determinded, you can do it without

Daniel
Reply 9
Teachers play an important role when it comes to things like coursework, but otherwise i dont really think that they matter.
Im starting my As soon as well, but i never took into consideration who was teaching me as alot of my knowledge comes from researching and revising myself, teachers are only there to make sure you know the basics, you put most of the effort in yourself getting to the high standards that you need to achieve high!
Reply 10
I think they are important depending on the subjects you are doing. I pretty much taught my two science subjects myself from the text book and that was sufficient. If you are doing arts subjects then I would say it would be harder to teach them yourself but its still possible
Reply 11
We went down the pub with our History & Politics teacher.
Reply 12
amo17
Teachers play an important role when it comes to things like coursework, but otherwise i dont really think that they matter.
Im starting my As soon as well, but i never took into consideration who was teaching me as alot of my knowledge comes from researching and revising myself, teachers are only there to make sure you know the basics, you put most of the effort in yourself getting to the high standards that you need to achieve high!

I disagree personally. For my A2 subjects I took Maths, Chemistry and Biology and for each I think I had one "good" teacher and one "bad" one. I use the terms loosely because it depends on what kind of teaching style suits you. For example, in Biology one of the teachers was quite young and all we seemed to do is copy things off the board which she used to copy from a textbook. It was terribly boring and she didn't look like she knew the subject inside out. The other one was great, did a lot off the top of her head and mixed things up and subsequently I did a lot better in her side of the syllabus.

I wouldn't take or drop a subject just based on the teachers though.
Reply 13
At GCSE, I hated science because of the teachers (boring and lazy ones) and I felt I did badly in it.

However, I had a really boring Art teacher.... yet I still managed to get an A :confused:

Teachers have an affect on the input you have, but not to a very large extent, imho.
Reply 14
Anyone who says a good teacher isnt important is a idiot.

My mum did the three sciences and got A(Chem) A(Bio) E(Phys) for her Alevals, coinsedently the physics teacher had just had a devorce, and thats all he told them about.
- But he was head of the dept, so there little anyone can do. Same with my DT teacher.

Daniel
Reply 15
A gud teacher does mke u feel reassured an lazier knowin u dont av to work as hard especially my mths teacher who has been teachin for over 35 yrs :eek: an has taught 2 generations of my family who all got A's and B's in his subject. :eek:
Final_F
How important is the input of teachers for AS Levels? Should you take a subject because there is a fantastic teacher? Should you avoid one because of a bad teacher?

I'm biased, but ABSOLUTELY :p: Well... don't let a teacher put you off doing something you love. I think it depends on the person; some people find getting on badly with a teacher inspires them to work harder to "show them". In my case it makes me get depressed and stop working. As for bad teachers, they're a nightmare. I have a teacher who's a combination of the two and is making my life a misery, and I think that it *has* affected my performance, although I may be wrong.
maths teachers arn't that important, most of the work is done by your self, all the teacher does is a few examples. That's maths for you!
Lil Lee

Teachers are always important, especially in languages which need a special type of teaching coz it's not something you can really pick up on your own

Definitely agree with that. It's noticeable too; our German teacher was phenomenal and really knew what she was doing, whereas our Spanish teacher was lovely but this meant she tried to be friends more than teach. It really showed in class grades.

English however, our teacher wasn't there for half the time and our good one left half the way through the year leaving us with a teacher who was nice but spent most of the time teaching straight out of a book. Neither were particularly good , but it meant I went away and did research about books and the anthology myself and I managed to get a reasonable A So either the teachers weren't as bad as I'm making out, or sometimes it's OK if you go off and research yourself.

History, again, the teachers were EXCELLENT; guided us really well and the majority of people came out with the grades to prove it, despite the bitch of an exam!
Reply 19
gordon2002
maths teachers arn't that important, most of the work is done by your self, all the teacher does is a few examples. That's maths for you!

I have a great Maths teacher and it has really helped me a lot. Although as you say, you do most of the work yourself, it really helps to have someone who can make it feel much more simple.

It is possible to get good grades with a poor teacher but it is much more difficult. My Chemistry teacher was awful; all she ever did was read the textbook (we could have done that ourselves) but if you put the extra work in, you could still got a decent grade (saying that I messed up the practical because I was given no preperation whatsoever for the report part and for the actual experiment, we were all lead to believe that we were going to be getting a titration when we didn't)

Latest