The Student Room Group

For GCSEs is the cgp complete revision and practice enough for a grade 9?

For gcse exams mainly science would the cgp complete practice and revision book be enough for a grade 9 or would I need to do save my exams/pmt exam questions?
Reply 1
I absolutely love the CGP books, but I'd definitely say that they're not enough for a 9. Bear in mind, too, that a 9 anyway is extremely hard to get, and it's important to be happy with your effort, not just grades.

Past papers, as you said, are some of the most important things for revision. They allow you to get that exam technique, while also encountering things that you might not find in the CGP books. They're especially great for the harder questions you can get in a paper. Also, I think that there's a lot of worry that past papers can be hard to mark and such, but so long as you're strict, subjects like Mathematics and the Sciences are actually alright to do.

I think also, if you're doing this all without a teacher (hypothetically) other resources are also really important, such as the free Youtube channels out there: while they might cover the same topics, they might give you a bit more information in one way, or just help that information sink into your brain. I'm not sure whether you mean literally 'just' the CGP books, but it's also important to make revision sources like flashcards to help yourself revise.

In short, I would personally say that the CGP books can get you a long way, but it's important to conglomerate that learning, especially with exam questions and past papers. Sorry for the length of the reply, I was trying to cover all angles haha. Best of luck wherever you go :biggrin:. Hope this helps!
Thankyou for your help, at the end of the cgp book complete revision and practice it has many exam style questions similar to pmt so what I’m asking is can the cgp book exam style questions at the end of the book be subbed for topic questions?

Original post by {Moss}
I absolutely love the CGP books, but I'd definitely say that they're not enough for a 9. Bear in mind, too, that a 9 anyway is extremely hard to get, and it's important to be happy with your effort, not just grades.

Past papers, as you said, are some of the most important things for revision. They allow you to get that exam technique, while also encountering things that you might not find in the CGP books. They're especially great for the harder questions you can get in a paper. Also, I think that there's a lot of worry that past papers can be hard to mark and such, but so long as you're strict, subjects like Mathematics and the Sciences are actually alright to do.

I think also, if you're doing this all without a teacher (hypothetically) other resources are also really important, such as the free Youtube channels out there: while they might cover the same topics, they might give you a bit more information in one way, or just help that information sink into your brain. I'm not sure whether you mean literally 'just' the CGP books, but it's also important to make revision sources like flashcards to help yourself revise.

In short, I would personally say that the CGP books can get you a long way, but it's important to conglomerate that learning, especially with exam questions and past papers. Sorry for the length of the reply, I was trying to cover all angles haha. Best of luck wherever you go :biggrin:. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
I agree with the previous response, its very good in itself, but definitely alone the cgp wont get you a grade 9, as cgp try to cover topics in one page. Theres always going to be new knowledge you'll come across. I am currently heading into my final year of uni, when I did my gcses I used a variety of sources, but cgp was definitely helping me with my base knowledge. I use to use the cgp and write my notes on flashcards, then watch loads of well known youtube channels and write notes down that hasn't been covered by the cgp book, (if schools have other text books I would add the notes that haven't been covered in cgp in my revision notes too), and then finally past papers helped with knowledge too, like if I come across an exam question I got it wrong and the mark scheme explained the correct answer I would also note that in my revision notes. - my teachers told me mark schemes can act as a source to take revision notes from too. But overall referring back to your original question cgp definitely was my base knowledge but to achieve a grade 9 and secure your knowledge of topics inside and out its great to explore online for sources and youtube channels help too (e.g primrose kitten for science gcse), and you will find that you wouldn't have to add a lot of notes since cgp does cover things broadly but sometimes not in great detail or in every aspect.
So which revision sources would you recommend to achieve a grade 9, there are too many topic questions for certain subjects that I can’t complete, so which revision sources should I use to ensure I get a grade 9?
Original post by Myaccount61616
For gcse exams mainly science would the cgp complete practice and revision book be enough for a grade 9 or would I need to do save my exams/pmt exam questions?

nope, my biology teacher said they cap you at a 7
Even with the practice questions at the back they look similar to pmt questions
Reply 7

I used the biology, chemistry and physics (triple) cgp books last minute revision in my GCSEs and i got 8 for biology, 9 for physics and chemistry, so yeah, if you use it over time it should be good. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Even with the practice questions at the back they look similar to pmt questions

I didn't use the practise questions though
Reply 9
Original post by 17277282kiosk
nope, my biology teacher said they cap you at a 7

your teacher lied then
Thanks
Reply 11
Thankyou for your help, at the end of the cgp book complete revision and practice it has many exam style questions similar to pmt so what I’m asking is can the cgp book exam style questions at the end of the book be subbed for topic questions?

I'd say it's still best to use some from PMT and past papers: not because the CGP questions aren't good (they're brilliant in my opinion, and really stretch your mind) but because the more questions you do the more chance you have of discovering something new and increasing your general technique, rather than just repeating the ones in CGP. Best of luck!
Original post by AJSM
your teacher lied then

she’s an edexcel examiner too but thanks for your unsolicited concern
Reply 13
Original post by 17277282kiosk
she’s an edexcel examiner too but thanks for your unsolicited concern

your welcome lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending