The Student Room Group

Sciences: Higher or Foundation

Hello,
In year 10, I noticed originally for my mocks I had been entered in for foundation tier physics and chemistry. However, after a lot of hard work I managed to be allowed on a higher tier exam for Physics, but unexpectedly got a higher tier Chemistry exam in the year 11 mocks that took place in November. I got put back on foundation since I got Us in both of them (Chemistry obviously since I was given that paper without warning). However, after a bit, I did foundation tier physics for my final mocks and scored close to full marks (95%!) and decided to revisit higher tier physics, and put it down as an A-Level since I was becoming extremely good at it again - and had to do a higher tier exam and get a good grade before doing it for the last time. However I did the test at the end of term shortly before Easter, but never heard a word about how I did, or what paper I will be doing. Now it is fast approaching the time and I am extremely concerned about Physics; I have no idea what tier I am doing, and my latest timetable says 'Foundation'. I'm not sure about asking my teacher, since he may say no, and although there's a fee to pay (about £55) I don't mind but I really need this and I just don't know how to convince my teacher in such a short time. Please give me any advice you may have
Thanks
a fee to pay for what? If you have a head of faculty or a teacher in charge of gcses then maybe ask them but generally you're registered for each specific exam and tier months before they take place so you probably won't be able to
Reply 2
Hi there

It's understandable that you're feeling anxious and uncertain about your upcoming physics exam. It sounds like you've put in a lot of effort and are determined to do your best, so it's important that you take the necessary steps to ensure that you have the opportunity to perform at your highest level.

Firstly, I would suggest that you speak to your teacher and express your concerns about the tier you will be taking. It's possible that there has been a mistake or miscommunication, and your teacher may be able to clarify the situation and provide you with some guidance. If you are unsure about how to approach your teacher, you could try sending an email or arranging a meeting during a break or after school.

When you speak to your teacher, be sure to explain your situation and the reasons why you believe you are capable of taking the higher tier physics exam. You could highlight your recent performance in foundation tier physics, your dedication to the subject, and your desire to take it at A-Level. It's important to listen to your teacher's feedback and suggestions.

If your teacher still insists that you should take the foundation tier exam, you could ask if there are any additional resources or support that you could use to help you prepare. You could also consider studying independently or seeking out tutoring to improve your understanding and confidence.

Ultimately, the decision about which tier exam you take may not be entirely within your control, but by speaking up and advocating for yourself, you are taking an important step towards achieving your aim. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by useless-dismay
a fee to pay for what? If you have a head of faculty or a teacher in charge of gcses then maybe ask them but generally you're registered for each specific exam and tier months before they take place so you probably won't be able to

After a certain date, there is a fee to pay for later tier changes. The closer the exam date the more expensive it is.

Quick Reply

Latest