The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ChrisWilliams
Insua was in the dressing room and in the starting XI when Hodgson was told. Hodgson isn't in charge of transfers at the club, a Chelsea season ticket holder and a ******* banker are. ******* ridiculous!

Can't belive that snake Purslow is behind all the transfers without letting Hodgson have a say :frown:
We now have no regonised left back. Great.
Insua had a lot of potential imo, he just looked bad last season because he was overplayed. Still don't understand why we have a Chelsea Season Ticket Holder involved in our transfers when he is here to help sell the club.
Y.N.W.A!
Reply 21
M_E_X
Dare I ask - predictions for our final league position next year.

I'll be optimistic and say 5th.

Depends on which players we get in, I'd be ecstatic if we get back into the top four next season, but it's very unlikely imo.
Reply 22
chelski786
Looks like you lot might have signed Joe Cole. Paddy power have suspened betting on Coles' next club:

Paddy Power said, “We’ve raised the white flag and it looks like good news for Liverpool fans. It was a very quiet market that suddenly sprang to life and scores of bets were placed one after the other at all odds between 11/2 and 7/4. Money usually talks in markets like this and it’s shouting louder than a vuvuzela!”

I read on caughtoffside Liverpool are going to pay 15.6 million for him?! I thougt he was available on a free transfer, and if we are going to spend that amount of money I think we could find a much better player!
Reply 23
hash007
I read on caughtoffside Liverpool are going to pay 15.6 million for him?! I thougt he was available on a free transfer, and if we are going to spend that amount of money I think we could find a much better player!

It's about the same as what Tottenham were rumoured to be offering him and what Chamakh got from Arsenal. As they are 'free' transfers they can command huge signing-on fees that are almost equivalent to their transfer value.
Reply 24
meskell
It's about the same as what Tottenham were rumoured to be offering him and what Chamakh got from Arsenal. As they are 'free' transfers they can command huge signing-on fees that are almost equivalent to their transfer value.

That's ludicrous, I hope we don't pay that much for him.
I think he'd be worth less if he actually was on sale.
Reply 25
meskell

Its not signing on fees, its wages. If the rumour is correct cole is getting a 3 year contract worth 100k a week. So, this adds up to over £15 mill.
Reply 26
That seems a bit steep, considering he'll be spending his time keeping Degen company at the physios and convincing that bint of his that it ain't "grim up north".

That said - considering Hodgson's now told us that transfers are now Purslow's remit, I shouldn't be too rattled.
That £6m for getting rid of Rafa is a bargain when it clears the way for a fire sale against the new managers wishes, who can do nothing about it.

Purslow is a ******* rat.
Reply 28
Deshi
This thread is bound to contain bad news because meskell has started it :facepalm2:

And sarforaz's post count in the old thread is collosal!

:bigsmile:
Reply 29
Why the **** would we sell Insua?

And Farhan, you're ******* clueless.
Reply 30
Hodgson must have known that Purslow would be running the show with transfers. Amazed he agreed to the job under those conditions.

It's a shame most numpty supporters/press wont be able to comprehend that Purslow is ruining the club and will start blaming Hodgson that he's started the season without any LBs :facepalm:
Reply 31
sarforaz
It's a shame most numpty supporters/press wont be able to comprehend that Purslow is ruining the club and will start blaming Hodgson that he's started the season without any LBs :facepalm:

Or, the downright deluded ones who say these transfers are Roy clearing out. Some people just don't get it.
Reply 32
Roy Hodgson
“If you want to know about transfer targets, and how things are progressing, you’ll have to ask (managing director) Christian Purslow because he’s the man looking after those discussions, not me.”

Shows it all tbh.
Could it not just be that Purslow is doing the contract negotiations? The manager isn't involved in the negotiations at most clubs I thought. Or is Purslow actually choosing who to buy and who to sell?
Reply 34
good mermington
Could it not just be that Purslow is doing the contract negotiations? The manager isn't involved in the negotiations at most clubs I thought. Or is Purslow actually choosing who to buy and who to sell?

Well Hodgson's quote says "if you want to know about transfer targets, and..."

Sounded like Hodgson wanted to keep hold off Insua and Fiorentina entered into negotiations before he was even appointed.
Selling Insua and Lucas would be an epic fail.
sarforaz
Well Hodgson's quote says "if you want to know about transfer targets, and..."

Sounded like Hodgson wanted to keep hold off Insua and Fiorentina entered into negotiations before he was even appointed.

Well could he not just mean "if you want to know about transfer targets [negotiations]"? AFAIK almost no managers are involved in negotiations, they just name their targets and the suits do the business.

If Purslow is actually choosing who to buy and sell, that's pretty messed up.
How much cash have you guys got left for transfers?
Reply 38
sandeep90
How much cash have you guys got left for transfers?

If we sell a few more players then £5mill, but nothing atm.
Reply 39
good mermington
Well could he not just mean "if you want to know about transfer targets [negotiations]"? AFAIK almost no managers are involved in negotiations, they just name their targets and the suits do the business.

If Purslow is actually choosing who to buy and sell, that's pretty messed up.

Tbfh I think the main reason Rafa was fired was because he had been given contractual rights and powers over choosing targets and being involved in negotiations. For Purslow, that was too much power for someone else to have.

Benayoun has come out and said Rafa was the reason why he left so its hard to read anything into that.

However there was a big gap between Rafa being fired and Hodgson being hired (3rd June to 1st July) yet between that Benayoun was sold and Fiorentina managed to negotiate a deal for Insua. This was while a new manager was being chosen and basically wasnt consulted about who should stay and leave.

You can only infer that someone else has taken the lead and the fact that Purslow has been heavily and moreso involved than our current manager should tell the whole story.

Liverpool have become a joke over the past few years. I could understand if a technical director had been appointed to decide (as many European teams do have) who has the experience but Purslow is a blood "business" man, he has no place in the footballing side of things.

Latest