The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

67.5 was a first at my unis. ul.
You might be able to. Ask because its def in the boderline region.
Reply 3
I got 68% in my country. And its 2:2 .. :frown:
Reply 4
how many of your modules are marked as a first class?
no harm in asking is there, i definatley would go and ask, what have your previous years study been in terms of overall mark for the years
I've heard if you've got a first in 3 modules or over they upgrade you to a first. That's what they did with my friend anyway, he got 69% but a first.

Good luck, that must be agonising.
Reply 7
cherrygarcia123
Hi all.

I've gotten a 69 average and missed a mark to a first. I was wondering if it is possible to appeal for a first and what are the chances like generally? Do many unis have this policy?

thanks!

You can appeal, but it's unlikely they'll give it to you. Generally, academics want you to succeed. If they think you deserve a first but the marks swung out of your favour (e.g. you got 4 71s, and 3 69s and a 68) then they will often basically fiddle with your marks to make sure that overall you come out with what they believe you "deserve". So usually if you get the 2i it will have been discussed at some level. Also you say you've got a 69. Is that like 69.0 or 69.9. If it's the former there will probably be people in your year with higher marks. Some departments have a policy where only the top 1 or 2 people are eligible for appeal (as it wouldn't be fair to give you a first and not them)
Yep, that was my pre-university wishlist, too.

Didn't read the thread.
I've 3.5 units out of 12 for a first.
my averages in my first 2 years were a first but were borderlines, but i slipped a bit in the final year.
sigh. i get that i might not have a really strong case. but its disappointing still D:
Reply 10
Some universities will bump you up if you are a percent or two away from the next class. Check with your department to see how it's done since it differs from place to place.
It has probably already been discussed... if they felt you deserved a first, they would have given you one. So I do not think an appeal would go in your favour, sorry!
A 69 and a 2:1 would be a great Uni leavers gift!

If you honestly believe you deserve the grade then do it, but 1% is significant enough to go against you. Irritating I know, but first year is usually so insignificant in relation to Years 2/3/(4) that it makes little difference later.

I get the impression you want to get a 1st as it is the best grade you can get. Swallow your pride and get it next year. It will be more effort but more significant to your final year anyway.

If it is your final degree grade then that IS irritating. you could try and appeal but don't hope for anything.
The same thing happened to me mate, but unfortunately academics often won't undermind eachother, and hence your grade is unlikely to change on appeal (mine didn't despite extenuating circumstances, and I later found out that the university turned down every single appeal).

It's unfortunately just one of those things, and clearly illustrates once again that we should scrap the current UK system (which is deeply flawed) and replace it with a GPA system.
Reply 14
I was under the impression that most universities automatically viva'd anyone within 2% of a grade boundary, and provided you impress them, move you up a classification. This is up to them to initiate though, not you.
Reply 15
cambio wechsel
Yep, that was my pre-university wishlist, too.

Didn't read the thread.

Brilliant!
The thread title mislead me to think you were 69 and received a 2:1 :K:
This is what I fear I will end up with, but I believe marks with such a figure are bumped up @ my uni! One of my modules, i expected it to be 69 (with how I worked it out), but they upped the mark on my last assignment, which gave me an overall 70!!!

Tbh it varies across universities . . .might be worth a shot enquiring about it as you never know . . .

2:1 is still a fab achievement though, so congrats :smile:
Reply 18
Well i know my university will bump you up if you have greater then half your modules credits as first class ...so your final two years are 120 credits so > 60 at first.
Reply 19
Bekaboo
You can appeal, but it's unlikely they'll give it to you. Generally, academics want you to succeed. If they think you deserve a first but the marks swung out of your favour (e.g. you got 4 71s, and 3 69s and a 68) then they will often basically fiddle with your marks to make sure that overall you come out with what they believe you "deserve". So usually if you get the 2i it will have been discussed at some level. Also you say you've got a 69. Is that like 69.0 or 69.9. If it's the former there will probably be people in your year with higher marks. Some departments have a policy where only the top 1 or 2 people are eligible for appeal (as it wouldn't be fair to give you a first and not them)

Thats awful. :mad:

Latest

Trending

Trending