The Student Room Group

How does the grade system at Uni Westminster works and the degree classification?

Hi, I just finished my first year studying Psychology and Criminology. I am confused how the final grade of each module is calculated, one of my friend explained to me but I didn't get much out of it.

Also, I want to know what do I need to get in each modules in my second and third year if I want 2:1 as well as 2:2. My course is for 4 years as I have work experience and volunteering in a criminological and psychological setting after I finish my second year.

Thank you
Original post by kate_bechett02
Hi, I just finished my first year studying Psychology and Criminology. I am confused how the final grade of each module is calculated, one of my friend explained to me but I didn't get much out of it.

Also, I want to know what do I need to get in each modules in my second and third year if I want 2:1 as well as 2:2. My course is for 4 years as I have work experience and volunteering in a criminological and psychological setting after I finish my second year.

Thank you

Do you have access to the the module descriptor for each module? (Those don't appear to be publicly available.) The way each module is assessed (via exams, essays, presentations, etc.) and the weighting assigned to each form of assessment, should be detail in there.

Your second question is easier to answer. At the end of your degree, they will look at your best 220 credits from Levels 5 and 6 (Years 2 and 3, if we ignore placements, etc.). They then establish the average of the score you achieved per Level (weighted by the size of each module). As they only use the best 220 credits this will mean that for one of those levels it will be the average of the best 100 credits rather than all 120.

They will then weight the Level 5 average at 1/3 and the Level 6 average at 2/3 and add them up. They then round to the nearest integer and compare it with these grade thresholds:

70 - 100: First
60 - 69: Upper Second
50 - 59: Lower Second
40 - 49: Third

Note that Level 4 (i.e. Year 1) plays no part in this calculation.

All the rules and regulations can be found here.

Quick Reply

Latest