The Student Room Group

Help with understanding grade classification at my uni!

My university mentions that to get a distinction, I must get

A Weighted Average Mark of 68 or more over 180 credits AND

a mark of 70 or more in 90 credits

Till now, my average score is 70 over 120 credits without my dissertation. However, out of these 120 credits, I scored 70+ only on three modules and these three modules have a combined credit of 50. So when it mentioned 90 credits, do they calculate according to module or including assignments too? Because some of the modules that I did not score a 70 in, I still got high 60s.

To make it easier to understand, my marks are:

Module 1- 69 (20 credits)

Module 2- 75 (20 credits)

Module 3- 74 (20 credits)

Module 4- 64 (20 credits)

Module 5- 67 (20 credits)

Module 6- 62 (10 credits)

Module 7- 80 (10 credits)
You don't mention your dissertation mark, does this not count towards the 90 credits? If you get 70 or higher, you will be on 110 credits and should get the distinction. Without that, unfortunately you don't meet the criteria as written, I would assume it is 90 credits of whole modules.

Ignoring the dissertation mark, it's possible they could decide to give you a distinction anyway, often they do have that kind of discretion, (to promote near misses) but it's going to be up to what the board of examiners decides and not something we can predict. They might look at the 69 and 67 and deem this close enough, or they might think 50 is too far from 90.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by _gcx
You don't mention your dissertation mark, does this not count towards the 90 credits? If you get 70 or higher, you will be on 110 credits and should get the distinction. Without that, unfortunately you don't meet the criteria as written, I would assume it is 90 credits of whole modules.

Ignoring the dissertation mark, it's possible they could decide to give you a distinction anyway, often they do have that kind of discretion, (to promote near misses) but it's going to be up to what the board of examiners decides and not something we can predict. They might look at the 69 and 67 and deem this close enough, or they might think 50 is too far from 90.

I havent got my dissertation mark yet..Oh okayy that is so scary ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending