The Student Room Group

Starting Music AS Level in September...

Right, see the thing is, I'm taking music for a level, yet I don't read music or play an instrument - apart from my 'voice' that is. My music teacher told me I should take it as he is confident in my performance skills, but I'm worried my lack of theory knowledge will bring me down. I'm at approx grade 5-6, have attempted some grade 8 songs but really don't know much about reading music. Any advice to make the struggle in A Level a bit less stressful?
You need to learn music theory. Buy the text books by ABRSM. The A level is quite light on theory (most of it is sort of potted history, which you can learn by rote), but a good knowledge of basic theory is beneficial, and the way to learn this is not from the A level course, but with proper books on music theory. The pink one on Grades 1-5 theory is valuable, as are the individual graded exercise books. It’s morally wrong to do A level music and not to be able to read music.
dulciemae
Right, see the thing is, I'm taking music for a level, yet I don't read music or play an instrument - apart from my 'voice' that is. My music teacher told me I should take it as he is confident in my performance skills, but I'm worried my lack of theory knowledge will bring me down. I'm at approx grade 5-6, have attempted some grade 8 songs but really don't know much about reading music. Any advice to make the struggle in A Level a bit less stressful?

Work your way through the ABRSM theory workbooks, start at Grade 1 and then you probably need to be at around Grade 5 standard for AS level. You can get a pink book called the AB guide to music theory as the previous poster said, which links in with the work books.

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I bet if you looked around online, there will be loads of theory games and stuff you can play to make it a bit more interesting and various help websites. If you start struggling then make sure you ask your teacher for help, you don't want to be behind for the whole course, if there's a problem, then get it sorted out asap!! You can also get teachers who will actually teach music theory, so if you can afford it, a few lessons might help :smile:
I fail to see how you can possibly do Music A levels without reading music. Performance-wise you'll be absolutely fine, but what about the written papers? Harmony coursework? Or do you not have to do that any more? I remember having to analyse pieces from the score - how can you do that without reading music? I would strongly suggest working up to grade 5 theory, or you may struggle. I teach theory so if you want any help, just drop me a pm :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending