The Student Room Group

AS and A-Level English literature and language resource thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
English Language AS - (section B)
Language and Technology
Language and gender

How the hell do you structure your essays for these?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shido
Language and Technology
Language and gender

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt do lang and technology. I did power and gender, but as a rule its point, quote, explanation for what the technique/use of the wordclass etc does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shido
Language and Technology
Language and gender

Posted from TSR Mobile

Start by talking about
GASP
then go onto answer the question in what it asked ,

List the main things they use to illustrate language and gender such as
' Text J uses marked terms, stereotypes,
Politeness strategies that link to women's language ' etc,

Make 3 paragraphs based upon the main lexical choices !!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Denver2010
HI. What exam board and paper are you doing?

With regard to tone in a diary - it should be colloquial, using informal language with contractions and using the first person so 'I can't believe it... ' type stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what time period the diary was written in that's an example of private discourse because it's personal and not for the public domain. Also depends what the purpose of the diary is .

Possible terminology to use for a diary text- ellipsis , contractions , abbreviations and initialism , compression features, hyperbally, idiosyncratic style , short sentences , first person possessive pronouns,
Etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cluelessinlondon
Hi I'm doing the new OCR AS LEVEL specification in English Literature and I was wondering if anyone is doing "The of the Screw" by Henry James and can offer any insight on the novel?

Plus my teacher keeps going on about how it's not a ghost story can anyone tell me why because that's all I see!

Look at the synopsis \blurb of the novel and go to spark notes for summaries of the novel .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Whose definitely planning on doing Language and Technology?
I find gender boring..

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone have the ms to 8693 winter 2007 paper1? i cant find it anywhere.. or if anyone can give advice on how to answer these questions. thank u!
Hey guys :smile: for anyone doing AQA English Literature B, here is my LITB4 comparative essay, hope it helps :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2776621

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much for this will come in handy

Posted from TSR Mobile
AQA Anthology 'Food Glorious Food' annotations?

Does anyone have any annotations for the English language anthology? If so, it would really help me because I can not annotate anything haha.

Thank you :smile::smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi does anyone have any advice on planning essays to get band 6 for AS Aqa English lit. Struggling at the moment to get back into essay writing.
Thanks in advance x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would anyone know anything about these titles I'm doing for as English:

The remains of the day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Arcadia by Tom Stoppard

The crucible by Arthur Miller

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does any one have any resources for birdsong or journey's end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am resitting my AS CIE English Lit next week, and I really struggle writing Essays, Can anyone give me any tips or resources; or model answers that kind of stuff to help me???

And also could anyone please send me resources for my texts:
Stories of Ourselves
Wilfred Owen selected poems
Richard III
A Man For All Seasons
Also any annotations/notes people could give me to help me understand these texts better... it would be great

(edited 9 years ago)
[INDENT] Hiiii people. I'm planning to do A level exams privately over this year and the next. I have no support whatsoever and I am so confused about which textbooks I'm going to need. I'm doing Literature in English (9695) through the CIE board. Can anyone recommend which textbooks are important? It would be of tremendous help!

[/INDENT]
What is question one on the AS English literature paper asking you to do? In class we literally have looked over it once and now I'm panicking. If it help I'm studying Owen Sheers' poetry collection Skirrid Hill
I am currently studying As English language and As literature, having exams in the following May and June. now I am struggling to find standard booklets (candidate sample responses), could anybody help? I've noticed that a lot of people post links of xtremepapers.com, but since it's down, is there anyway to find the booklet elsewhere? please help, and I appreciate it very much!!!
I'm doing AS English Literature B (aspects of tragedy), studying:

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

King Lear (Shakespeare)

Death of a Salesman (Arthur Miller)

Poems by Keats

I've obviously done my own revision notes but if anyone else is studying the same and wants to share notes or discuss exam technique then feel free to private message me or reply on here☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi can anyone remeber the Othello question on the AS AQA paper? as I have done all the other past paper questions. Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest