The Student Room Group

Need some advice on what to do!

Hi,

So I just did my AS levels and I didn't do too well :frown:. I got CCDE in Physics, Biology, Maths and Chemistry respectively.

Now I don't have the slightest idea on what to do for next year, so I'll just write down my 2 options and then could you guys just suggest which one is better. :o:

1) I carry onto A2, drop Chemistry which leaves me with the CCD to improve. Now I can resit 2/3 maths modules in January along side 2 A2 exams, which is 4/5 exams in January.

Then if all goes to planned I'll do my 3 A2 maths modules in June along side my 2 other A2 exams and 2 more AS resits, now that will be 7 exams in June. Does this all sound reasonable? considering I want to come out of A2 with either AAA or AAB.

Then if everything goes well I will take a gap year and reapply with my A2's to do Physics.

2) I resit year 12, which like the 1st option will still mean it's another 2 years until I will be going to uni (not that I'm in any rush). Except I guess it will just be easier since I have already learnt a majority of the content and wont be as intense as the first option. But will resitting year 12 jeopardise my chances of getting into a decent university, even if everything goes well and I come out of my AS year with 4 AS's at grade A's?

Sorry, I know it's a pretty long winded read but I'd be really thankful if you guys could give me any suggestions on what I can do and if I've missed anything just ask!

-YD

+rep for good suggestions, if that makes any difference. :p:
Reply 1
Option 1.
If it doesnt go to plan u can always take gap year which will be the same as redoing year 12
ccd isnt bad
im pretty sure u can bounce up ur maths.
And dw its not tooo many exams as long as ur willing to work veryy hard.
Good luck!
:smile:
Reply 2
When i said ccd isnt bad i
meant its not too bad as in u can still get A's
I'd go with option 1 and just work your arse off.
Reply 4
Have you thought about restarting Year 12 with different subjects?

Keep Maths and your other favourite science, try and get some good grades in them which should be easier considering you would be doing them for a second time.

Then maybe have a look at a couple of other subjects. Maybe for a bit of variety, which you might enjoy more, or which you think you may do better in. If you are really set on going for the sciences, and you think that you can do well this time around, then go for it, however a lot of people fall into the trap of just going for Maths and the 3 sciences for the sake of it, as they think it looks the best when applying to University. However any respected A Levels are on par with the sciences, and obviously better grades are more important.
Option 1, improving CCD to AAB in 1 year isn't impossible at all. And even if you fall short, you can retake a few modules during your gap to ensure AAB-AAA. Obviously easier said than done, but yeah good luck.
I had better grades than CCDE at AS (I had BBBB with a B in an A level), but I had to resit a lot because I needed 2 As to get into uni.

Over the second year I resat 3 Maths exams, 2 theoretical physics exams, the AS practical physics exam, and did exams in music and AS further maths. I had 6 exams in January, and 9 in May/June. I ended up with ABBC (ABC in the subjects I'd done in the second year, as I'd done the other B early) which isn't what you need, but I didn't revise over Christmas for the January exams which set me back, and started revising late for the May/June exams. I only just missed the A in physics, and I only missed it because I got a D in the practical, just because it was 'one of those days'.

My point is, option 1, but make sure you plan properly and work for it. You can still apply to uni even with the dodgy AS grades, make sure you have decent predicted ones, if you don't get in then take the year out.
You need to think about why you didn't get the grades you were hoping for at AS. If it's because you didn't work as hard as you could have done then you could go with option 1 and bump your grades up if you work hard and revise for all your resits. If you feel you worked as hard as you could then you may want to consider redoing yr 12 and taking some different subjects at AS.
I'd probably resit the year again if i was you, its less work and i'd drop chemistry as well. Loads of people have to resit the year again.. that's what im doing and loads of my friends. instead of killing myself with loads of resit exams in A2.
Reply 9
I would say go with option 1 :smile: CCD to AAB isnt impossible. But A2 exams are definitely harder than AS so make sure you work as hard as you can and stay organised. I would even say start learning/revising now...
Reply 10
Thanks for the help, any more suggestions? ^_^

Latest