The Student Room Group

a level maths aqa: c to an a

hello guys. do you think it’s possible to do from a c to at least a b, preferably an a if i start putting work in now, before the summer 2024 exams?

if so, how much should i be doing? what resources should i be accessing? how likey is it that i can achieve this? does anyone have any tips or was anyone in my position?

i should have retaken year 12 but obviously it’s too late now. i would hate to retake year 13 as i physically can’t stand being in sixth form for another additional year and would like to do things once and well
Reply 1
Original post by rumxisx
hello guys. do you think it’s possible to do from a c to at least a b, preferably an a if i start putting work in now, before the summer 2024 exams?

if so, how much should i be doing? what resources should i be accessing? how likey is it that i can achieve this? does anyone have any tips or was anyone in my position?

i should have retaken year 12 but obviously it’s too late now. i would hate to retake year 13 as i physically can’t stand being in sixth form for another additional year and would like to do things once and well
Hiya i was in amuch worse place than you at this stage in my a levels for multiple dif reasons, but i think that you’ll definitely be able to get at least a b in the exam! If you focus on revising all that you’ve learned from now the little bit thats left of the course will not be half as difficult as the earlier parts of the course may have been.
An A from a C starting from tomorrow afternoon is totally doable but it may require a little bit of hermit mode!

That being said I am currently retaking but thats bc it was a thing I had wanted to do since around this time last year.

If you think your other subjects may too greatly suffer from you focusing on maths, then perhaps consider only doing the other subjects ( it seems that a c is not a good grade to you and so i will assume you’re getting better grades in your other subjects)
Also you do n o t have to stay at your school to retake ! For me the school itself was a huge hindrance to my progress so defo defo look into other sixth forms this week or so just incase you do want to do maths next year instead of this year.
Last idea ! Sorry! : just do what i did and ignore the feeling ab your grades for now and see how you feel on results day then decide to re-sit if you’re not happy (i do n o t recommend but a lot of people in my year did this and i think they are all doing fine!)

Hope this was of some help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ughffs
Original post by rumxisx

Hiya i was in amuch worse place than you at this stage in my a levels for multiple dif reasons, but i think that you’ll definitely be able to get at least a b in the exam! If you focus on revising all that you’ve learned from now the little bit thats left of the course will not be half as difficult as the earlier parts of the course may have been.
An A from a C starting from tomorrow afternoon is totally doable but it may require a little bit of hermit mode!

That being said I am currently retaking but thats bc it was a thing I had wanted to do since around this time last year.

If you think your other subjects may too greatly suffer from you focusing on maths, then perhaps consider only doing the other subjects ( it seems that a c is not a good grade to you and so i will assume you’re getting better grades in your other subjects)
Also you do n o t have to stay at your school to retake ! For me the school itself was a huge hindrance to my progress so defo defo look into other sixth forms this week or so just incase you do want to do maths next year instead of this year.
Last idea ! Sorry! : just do what i did and ignore the feeling ab your grades for now and see how you feel on results day then decide to re-sit if you’re not happy (i do n o t recommend but a lot of people in my year did this and i think they are all doing fine!)

hey, thank you so so so much for your advice. it was really comforting to hear your perspective and i’m sorry to hear you didn’t like your sixth form and had bad experiences. please do not apologise for giving your advice, this is exactly what i needed to hear, you seem like a very sweet person and i hope you are getting the grade you want now! best wishes on the coming exams :smile: i really hope you’re doing better now in your new environment and have enjoyed retaking. thank you for making it seem possible to me and not like some ridiculous abstract idea, i will try my absolute best. i’m not doing great in another subject (biology) and need to work on that too so hermit mode it is!!! we got thisssss! i will probably do what you said in your last point and just take a good shot at maths this year then decide on results day
Reply 3
Original post by rumxisx

hey, thank you so so so much for your advice. it was really comforting to hear your perspective and i’m sorry to hear you didn’t like your sixth form and had bad experiences. please do not apologise for giving your advice, this is exactly what i needed to hear, you seem like a very sweet person and i hope you are getting the grade you want now! best wishes on the coming exams :smile: i really hope you’re doing better now in your new environment and have enjoyed retaking. thank you for making it seem possible to me and not like some ridiculous abstract idea, i will try my absolute best. i’m not doing great in another subject (biology) and need to work on that too so hermit mode it is!!! we got thisssss! i will probably do what you said in your last point and just take a good shot at maths this year then decide on results dayWe got this ‼️‼️
Original post by rumxisx

Hi!!!

It depends on how well you know the subject criteria but even if you're just starting revision- given that you're doing a lot of it effectively- you should be able to boost your grades!

Bicen maths for understanding content!!! Literal lifesaver- focus more on A2 content as it starts to get trickier

Past papers are the way- try to do each one 2-3x
And as many practice qs as possible

Challenge yourself once you start getting comfortable
Madasmaths papers are great for that

Good luck!!
Reply 5
Original post by user67281919
Original post by rumxisx

Hi!!!

It depends on how well you know the subject criteria but even if you're just starting revision- given that you're doing a lot of it effectively- you should be able to boost your grades!

Bicen maths for understanding content!!! Literal lifesaver- focus more on A2 content as it starts to get trickier

Past papers are the way- try to do each one 2-3x
And as many practice qs as possible

Challenge yourself once you start getting comfortable
Madasmaths papers are great for that

Good luck!!

thank you for your advice!! i will make sure to check them both out

Quick Reply

Latest