The Student Room Group

Gap year advice

I would appreciate some advice as what to do for careers as I’m currently 19 on a gap year and unfortunately I didn’t get the grades for my application last year as I received CCD . C in biology , C in business and D in chemistry the reason as to my performance is due to health issues I initially applies for MPharm 2023 entry but I got rejected I tried to explain my circumstances to the unis but there wasn’t any response .

I got in to law through clearing but I didn’t enjoy it so I dropped out .

I wanted to originally apply for med, but if I was to do that now I’d be forced to take two gap years one to do A-levels and UCAT and the second waiting .

I’m considering applying for MPharm foundation year but at the end I’d be 25 .

I have no idea what I’m doing and would really appreciate some advice I feel as if I’m losing .

Thank you for any advice it’s most appreciated
Original post by 12XYZ123
I would appreciate some advice as what to do for careers as I’m currently 19 on a gap year and unfortunately I didn’t get the grades for my application last year as I received CCD . C in biology , C in business and D in chemistry the reason as to my performance is due to health issues I initially applies for MPharm 2023 entry but I got rejected I tried to explain my circumstances to the unis but there wasn’t any response .

I wanted to originally apply for med, but if I was to do that now I’d be forced to take two gap years one to do A-levels and UCAT and the second waiting .

I have no idea what I’m doing and would really appreciate some advice I feel as if I’m losing .

why u dislike the idea of u being 25 by the end of the course? you're gonna turn 25 at some point, whether u take the course or not, so i say just go for it and don't let that bother u
Reply 2
Hi, can anyone give me advice on this. I had my ucat in September and whilst doing it there was no break given between qr and ar and because I was already stressed enough with qr the sudden starting of ar caused me to lose simple marks that could have made a huge difference. I got 2500 but I could because I got 650 in ar where I was averaging on about 800 in my mocks. I know it's late but is there any way I could make a complain to ucat about this issue
Reply 3
Original post by 12XYZ123

Are you really keen to do a course that, in theory, leads to a specific career (as you wanted medicine, then pharmacy then you started law)? Are you doing anything in your gap year that would demonstrate your interest in pharmacy, if that is what you are still considering? If you're sub-consciously thinking you still might want medicine, the same is true - but you would also need the high grades, and not all universities would be happy with re-sits. Some careers, such as medicine can be physically and emotionally demanding, so you might need to factor in your health circumstances, unless they were a one-off. Careers advisers can see you, even if you are not in education, so contact your local authority to see what is available. Also see the National Careers Service site. It must be hard, having had a few false starts but, if possible, don't let that discourage you, and don't worry too much about the age you'll be when you finish a course. In the long term, a few years aren't going to make much difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending