The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

History and politics at Warwick!

HELLO there! I'm very new at this, so I'm sorry if I'm doing this in a completely wrong area or if someone else has asked this question! :biggrin:

I'm considering applying to Warwick to read History and Politics since I don't have a modern language GCSE. Otherwise, the rest of my university choices I'm applying to will be for History. Should I get a balance between politics and history in my personal statement or will that be too confusing for the other universities? If so, should I just give a short paragraph on how politics effects my abilities... or will that be really random?

Side note - to anyone who is currently doing the course at Warwick, do you know what the spaces are like for third year choices?

Tanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Caaaaaar
HELLO there! I'm very new at this, so I'm sorry if I'm doing this in a completely wrong area or if someone else has asked this question! :biggrin:

I'm considering applying to Warwick to read History and Politics since I don't have a modern language GCSE. Otherwise, the rest of my university choices I'm applying to will be for History. Should I get a balance between politics and history in my personal statement or will that be too confusing for the other universities? If so, should I just give a short paragraph on how politics effects my abilities... or will that be really random?

Side note - to anyone who is currently doing the course at Warwick, do you know what the spaces are like for third year choices?

Tanks! :smile:

Bump.

When it comes to Q's as specific as this, it usually takes forever to get an answer or you sometimes don't get an answer at all!

I'll ask around in case nobody answers. :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Doughnuts!!
Bump.

When it comes to Q's as specific as this, it usually takes forever to get an answer or you sometimes don't get an answer at all!

I'll ask around in case nobody answers. :smile:

It's a bit unfortunate that the OP asked this question on the day that accommodation offers have been sent out - it's getting buried underneath what seems to be 13 Halls of Residence 2010 threads :p:

One major factor that will affect the way to go about this is if History and History and Politics applications are considered together or separately. Something I unfortunately don't know.
TheTallOne
It's a bit unfortunate that the OP asked this question on the day that accommodation offers have been sent out - it's getting buried underneath what seems to be 13 Halls of Residence 2010 threads :p:

One major factor that will affect the way to go about this is if History and History and Politics applications are considered together or separately. Something I unfortunately don't know.

Ouch, sucks for OP! :rolleyes:

I'll ask History students that applied to Warwick and see if I can actually find any Warwick historians!
I do Hist/Pol at Warwick, you're in luck.

The tutors aren't idiots. They'll know you're applying for straight history. The thing is, the two subjects cover such similar ground (especially for modern history) that you can work around it fairly easily. Do you study both history and politics at A level? In that case it's best to talk about each subject you studied and what you learnt from it, without being too explicit (so don't write 'studying politics helps me look at history in this way' etc). Hist/Pol at Warwick is administered by the History department so I think you'll have to go through them primarily. Though I'm not sure if the politics department checks Hist/Pol statements or whether they just give History a quota to let in.

I'm only going into second year, but I know that module choices are always gonna be fairly restricted due to joint honours. I wasn't able to study French last year as I would have done if I were studying straight history, and this year I have to do political ******* theory which makes me want to shoot myself. That's just something you have to accept with a joint degree. You've also got to expect the departments not to talk to eachother, which in practical terms means that your personal tutor will be History OR Politics and not both. The deadlines sometimes clash but if you're lucky your tutor will teach Hist/Pol seminars and so will set the deadlines accordingly.

P.S. In your personal statement, do not use the quote 'history is past politics, and politics is modern history'. Every Hist/Pol applicant writes that.

Otherwise good luck, is Warwick your first choice?
Callum828

The tutors aren't idiots. They'll know you're applying for straight history. The thing is, the two subjects cover such similar ground (especially for modern history) that you can work around it fairly easily. Do you study both history and politics at A level? In that case it's best to talk about each subject you studied and what you learnt from it, without being too explicit (so don't write 'studying politics helps me look at history in this way' etc). Hist/Pol at Warwick is administered by the History department so I think you'll have to go through them primarily. Though I'm not sure if the politics department checks Hist/Pol statements or whether they just give History a quota to let in.

I'm only going into second year, but I know that module choices are always gonna be fairly restricted due to joint honours. I wasn't able to study French last year as I would have done if I were studying straight history, and this year I have to do political ******* theory which makes me want to shoot myself. That's just something you have to accept with a joint degree. You've also got to expect the departments not to talk to eachother, which in practical terms means that your personal tutor will be History OR Politics and not both. The deadlines sometimes clash but if you're lucky your tutor will teach Hist/Pol seminars and so will set the deadlines accordingly.

P.S. In your personal statement, do not use the quote 'history is past politics, and politics is modern history'. Every Hist/Pol applicant writes that.

OP is my friend that I told to PM you. :rolleyes: I take it she hasn't PM'ed you yet? She's hardly ever on TSR, but I'll tell her that you posted on this thread. :yep:

Oh, and something she wanted to know was whether His/Pol is less respected than straight History cos of the whole joint honours thing.

You've given some helpful advice so I'll rep you later. :top:
Doughnuts!!
OP is my friend that I told to PM you. :rolleyes: I take it she hasn't PM'ed you yet? She's hardly ever on TSR, but I'll tell her that you posted on this thread. :yep:

Oh, and something she wanted to know was whether His/Pol is less respected than straight History cos of the whole joint honours thing.

You've given some helpful advice so I'll rep you later. :top:

I'm not sure about Hist/Pol being more or less respected tbh. Though as I understand it it can hurt you if your two subjects differ (like French and Maths vs Maths), whereas with Hist/Pol or Maths/Econ they compliment eachother. I was tempted to swap to straight History cos I prefer the subject but I want to go into politics so it made sense to keep it joint honours.
Reply 7
Callum828

Firstly, thank you so much for your reply, I was beginning to feel really stupid when the replies to this had nothing to do with my question! Secondly, what does 'OP' mean? I'd like to think 'original person' because then I'd be an original person but... anyway, digressing a lot.

I do study both politics and history at the moment, and so far in my personal statement I make reference to politics quite explicitly (i.e. 'A Level politics has...') and I've only included politics out of my subjects because, otherwise, I'd completely go over the character limit. Although I may passingly refer to Eng Lit while talking about some books. Is that necessarily a bad thing?

Also, what do you have to do in political theory? Is it looking at a lot of Hobbes, Stuart Mill, Rousseau, etc? (Am I sounding really dense? I do to me...!) The website doesn't give much away on the politics side... what exactly did you learn in "Introduction to politics"...?

I'm not certain whether Warwick is my first choice yet. If I'm honest I was really put down by my AS results and momentarily decided I'd never get into university and I should really become an organ tuner (still debating), but I am seriously considering Warwick as a main contender - if not as the first then as the second choice... How are you liking the course by the way? Was it exactly how you thought it'd be? Better? Worse?

OH! and how are you examined? I'm sorry, lots of questions questions questions,... but thank you tonneeeeessssss in advance! :smile:
Caaaaaar
Firstly, thank you so much for your reply, I was beginning to feel really stupid when the replies to this had nothing to do with my question! Secondly, what does 'OP' mean? I'd like to think 'original person' because then I'd be an original person but... anyway, digressing a lot.

I do study both politics and history at the moment, and so far in my personal statement I make reference to politics quite explicitly (i.e. 'A Level politics has...') and I've only included politics out of my subjects because, otherwise, I'd completely go over the character limit. Although I may passingly refer to Eng Lit while talking about some books. Is that necessarily a bad thing?

Also, what do you have to do in political theory? Is it looking at a lot of Hobbes, Stuart Mill, Rousseau, etc? (Am I sounding really dense? I do to me...!) The website doesn't give much away on the politics side... what exactly did you learn in "Introduction to politics"...?

I'm not certain whether Warwick is my first choice yet. If I'm honest I was really put down by my AS results and momentarily decided I'd never get into university and I should really become an organ tuner (still debating), but I am seriously considering Warwick as a main contender - if not as the first then as the second choice... How are you liking the course by the way? Was it exactly how you thought it'd be? Better? Worse?

OH! and how are you examined? I'm sorry, lots of questions questions questions,... but thank you tonneeeeessssss in advance! :smile:

OP means original poster lol.

I would recommend mentioning History, just because it lends itself to politics more than say, English lit. What have you studied in History? Because any modern history is good for tying into politics.

Political theory is basically the authors you mentioned. And Introduction to Politics is basically for people who never did it at A Level. Stuff like political parties, ideologies, the civil service. I didn't bother going to half of those lectures.

I did enjoy the course. Though what I really found was that I only became very interested in what I was studying during exam revision. I think because I hadn't done much work for the rest of the year, I'd never got into the depth you need to in order for it to fascinate. Definitely enjoyed the History side more, but I was always a History boy at heart anyway.

What are your other choices then?
Reply 9
Callum828
OP means original poster lol.

I would recommend mentioning History, just because it lends itself to politics more than say, English lit. What have you studied in History? Because any modern history is good for tying into politics.

Political theory is basically the authors you mentioned. And Introduction to Politics is basically for people who never did it at A Level. Stuff like political parties, ideologies, the civil service. I didn't bother going to half of those lectures.

I did enjoy the course. Though what I really found was that I only became very interested in what I was studying during exam revision. I think because I hadn't done much work for the rest of the year, I'd never got into the depth you need to in order for it to fascinate. Definitely enjoyed the History side more, but I was always a History boy at heart anyway.

What are your other choices then?

I think I've probably confused you about which subjects I've mentioned in my personal statement. It's mostly on history, but out of my other subjects, I've only included politics (with the other being Eng lit). I would have thought mentioning politics would have been relatively easy (ideologies, Cold War, etc etc) but now that you've said to not EXPLICITLY mention politics which I've done (a whole short paragraph which explicitly explains it in fact!), I'm a little lost.

So, the fact that those depts don't talk to each other? What problems does that cause, aside from close deadlines?

The other universities I'm considering are all for history, those being Sheffield/Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham and Exeter. Though I'm not entirely sure about Exeter.

Also, I didn't get a place on the open day, but if you could tell Doughnuts!!! (the guy above) any places that'd be interesting to see... it doesn't specifically have to be related to his/pol (museums, libraries,...) , but that would be lovely!

Oh, and have you watched the film History Boys? I only mention it because you did ... not that it really has anything to do with anything.
Caaaaaar
I think I've probably confused you about which subjects I've mentioned in my personal statement. It's mostly on history, but out of my other subjects, I've only included politics (with the other being Eng lit). I would have thought mentioning politics would have been relatively easy (ideologies, Cold War, etc etc) but now that you've said to not EXPLICITLY mention politics which I've done (a whole short paragraph which explicitly explains it in fact!), I'm a little lost.

So, the fact that those depts don't talk to each other? What problems does that cause, aside from close deadlines?

The other universities I'm considering are all for history, those being Sheffield/Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham and Exeter. Though I'm not entirely sure about Exeter.

Also, I didn't get a place on the open day, but if you could tell Doughnuts!!! (the guy above) any places that'd be interesting to see... it doesn't specifically have to be related to his/pol (museums, libraries,...) , but that would be lovely!

Oh, and have you watched the film History Boys? I only mention it because you did ... not that it really has anything to do with anything.

Sorry I should clarify, you should mention politics. But don't talk about studying politics at university. So what you've done sounds about right.

The departments not talking to eachother means that, for example, your personal tutor will only receive the feedback from one department, and so if you're doing great in History but struggling in Politics, they will only see one or the other unless you tell them.

The Open Day as far as I'm aware is entirely on campus, which most of your first year is anyway. They call it 'the bubble' for that exact reason. If you like the cosy campus environment then Warwick is perfect but if you're looking for a lively city, I would try Sheffield. Nottingham apparently has some of both, but I've never been.

And yeah, History Boys rocks :biggrin:
Callum828
Sorry I should clarify, you should mention politics. But don't talk about studying politics at university. So what you've done sounds about right.

The departments not talking to eachother means that, for example, your personal tutor will only receive the feedback from one department, and so if you're doing great in History but struggling in Politics, they will only see one or the other unless you tell them.

The Open Day as far as I'm aware is entirely on campus, which most of your first year is anyway. They call it 'the bubble' for that exact reason. If you like the cosy campus environment then Warwick is perfect but if you're looking for a lively city, I would try Sheffield. Nottingham apparently has some of both, but I've never been.

Your surname isn't Davis is it?
Just asking cus I know a Callum on hist/pol (fellow hist/pol student)
x
gee_shakedown
Your surname isn't Davis is it?
Just asking cus I know a Callum on hist/pol (fellow hist/pol student)
x

Woah....
Reply 13
Callum828

You must be tired of questions by now, but fear not, I have more! :smile: I was just wondering, how are you taught/examined? Is it mainly seminars/lectures or do you have tutorials, group projects...? And are you mainly examined through essays, exams, ...?

You seem like someone who is mostly interested in history (not just because you said so...) so, it you were given the chance, would you swap courses knowing what you do now? Or do you think the political side will be better this year than last, (since I'm considering you more or less knew quite a lot of what was taught in the intro to politics already?). I only ask because I'm really considering Warwick to be a firm or insurance (that is if I even get a place! Hahaaa, I'm waaaay ahead, I know) but I'd have to do some serious thinking on whether I want a straight history course or a joint honours.

Those are quite a lot of questions. Sorry!
Caaaaaar
You must be tired of questions by now, but fear not, I have more! :smile: I was just wondering, how are you taught/examined? Is it mainly seminars/lectures or do you have tutorials, group projects...? And are you mainly examined through essays, exams, ...?

You seem like someone who is mostly interested in history (not just because you said so...) so, it you were given the chance, would you swap courses knowing what you do now? Or do you think the political side will be better this year than last, (since I'm considering you more or less knew quite a lot of what was taught in the intro to politics already?). I only ask because I'm really considering Warwick to be a firm or insurance (that is if I even get a place! Hahaaa, I'm waaaay ahead, I know) but I'd have to do some serious thinking on whether I want a straight history course or a joint honours.

Those are quite a lot of questions. Sorry!

We learn basically in lectures and seminars, the seminars are much more useful. And then examination is split between essays and exams. It's mainly essay based for History but 100% exams for politics.

I wouldn't swap to straight History. I do enjoy History more, but I want to work in politics eventually so it makes sense to stick with it. Otherwise I would swap yes, since I'm better at History and it's more fun. Swapping to straight History is pretty simple, and I'm pretty sure they would overlook not having a language GCSE since so many people start a new language with the course anyway. Though you might have to do some studying over the summer to catch up.

Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Callum828
We learn basically in lectures and seminars, the seminars are much more useful. And then examination is split between essays and exams. It's mainly essay based for History but 100% exams for politics.

I wouldn't swap to straight History. I do enjoy History more, but I want to work in politics eventually so it makes sense to stick with it. Otherwise I would swap yes, since I'm better at History and it's more fun. Swapping to straight History is pretty simple, and I'm pretty sure they would overlook not having a language GCSE since so many people start a new language with the course anyway. Though you might have to do some studying over the summer to catch up.

Best of luck :biggrin:

Hey, I know it's been a while, but I was wondering if you could give me a sample of some modules you took in both subjects? Also, are the exams for politics similar to those at A Level? (i.e."Liberal Democracy is a contradiction in terms" etc etc)

What are the Careers Advisory like in Warwick? That is to say... does the University help you out in finding jobs/internships/experience that are suitable for your course?

And how long did it take for you to get a decision from Warwick? I may be going a little crazy since three of the universities I've applied for have already made decisions... it's only been three and a bit weeks since I've sent off my UCAS but... ehhhh.
Original post by Caaaaaar
Hey, I know it's been a while, but I was wondering if you could give me a sample of some modules you took in both subjects? Also, are the exams for politics similar to those at A Level? (i.e."Liberal Democracy is a contradiction in terms" etc etc)

What are the Careers Advisory like in Warwick? That is to say... does the University help you out in finding jobs/internships/experience that are suitable for your course?

And how long did it take for you to get a decision from Warwick? I may be going a little crazy since three of the universities I've applied for have already made decisions... it's only been three and a bit weeks since I've sent off my UCAS but... ehhhh.

Didn't think that you even still used this.

Been less than 3 weeks and you already have 3 offers. :shoot:
Reply 17
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Didn't think that you even still used this.

Been less than 3 weeks and you already have 3 offers. :shoot:

Oh Charles, you absolute stalker!

Don't worry C, why don't you remind yourself of your remark (which I find, sorry to say, slightly derogatory to me) that law is much harder to get into than history?
Reply 18
Sorry, I just found this forum and was wondering if you had heard back from Warwick yet? I still haven't and am getting really paranoid :frown:
Reply 19
does anyone know what grade you need at a GCSE language and if they have any preference to what language it is? cheers

Quick Reply

Latest