University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Anyone got Xbox live working at Sussex?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SaltyPiratePony
haha, they picked up on it then?

Yea, and i didn't even get it to work either...

I may give it a week before attempting the same things again, i don't wanna get on the bad side of IT services. Considering the downloading that.... some people near my room..... do quite a lot i don't want to piss them off...
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 41
Original post by MHorman
Yea, and i didn't even get it to work either...

I may give it a week before attempting the same things again, i don't wanna get on the bad side of IT services. Considering the downloading that.... some people near my room..... do quite a lot i don't want to piss them off...

Personally I think this uni is rubbish when it comes to internet provision.
I used to relax with an hour of xbox or so every so often for escapism and usually with friends over xbox live. But the universities blatant dislike of the internet being used for such things has stopped that.

I can understand it takes up bandwidth that is probably needed by students for doing work and with such a poor network it doesn't surprise me they don't want you to use it for that purpose.

It would just be nice to be able to game once in a while using XBL :frown:
Reply 42
Original post by Eccentric
Personally I think this uni is rubbish when it comes to internet provision.
I used to relax with an hour of xbox or so every so often for escapism and usually with friends over xbox live. But the universities blatant dislike of the internet being used for such things has stopped that.

I can understand it takes up bandwidth that is probably needed by students for doing work and with such a poor network it doesn't surprise me they don't want you to use it for that purpose.

It would just be nice to be able to game once in a while using XBL :frown:
~

The thing is, it doesn't actually take up that much bandwidth at all really.

And considering 99% of the internet use in halls is used by people to check their facebook/personal emails/illegally download music+films+tvshows i think it's tight to just stop Xboxes being used.

But you can get some nice DL speeds going anyway...

Btw, Eccentric, try what SaltyPiratePony is saying in his posts. He has his xbox working online now. I have no idea how because i tried following the exact same steps and it didn't work for me...
Doesn't work for me either, so would love some tips.
Original post by Midnight Caller
Doesn't work for me either, so would love some tips.

my ones stopped now, they mustve picked up on it :frown:
Reply 45
my ones stopped now, they mustve picked up on it :frown:

Dang, the tech guys can probably tell as it all goes through the resnet system...

And the signals/data the xbox sends out is very different to normal internet use...
Original post by MHorman
Dang, the tech guys can probably tell as it all goes through the resnet system...

And the signals/data the xbox sends out is very different to normal internet use...

its a bit of a piss take, i just wants to chills out and play! lame.
Reply 47
its a bit of a piss take, i just wants to chills out and play! lame.

Same, you're not allowed to play xbox live which uses what, about a 100Mb of bandwidth over an evening max but everyone is allowed to stream all their tv shows off iplayers and 4OD which uses a lot more bandwidth...
Original post by MHorman
Same, you're not allowed to play xbox live which uses what, about a 100Mb of bandwidth over an evening max but everyone is allowed to stream all their tv shows off iplayers and 4OD which uses a lot more bandwidth...

tis lame alright. Could get around it by pissing around on offline multi, such as random gh stuff or even random 1 on 1 cod, idk.
Reply 49
Are you kidding me? No online gaming! Anyone know if you can set up a ps3? Surely just using an Ethernet cable and your good to go...
Original post by Joe2911
Are you kidding me? No online gaming! Anyone know if you can set up a ps3? Surely just using an Ethernet cable and your good to go...

no, the it guys can track the patterns of the internet traffic, as its different to the laptop useage, the xbox uses far more, so its easily recognisable and easily blocked.
can't even play world of warcraft here haha fml.
Reply 52
Original post by gunslingers
can't even play world of warcraft here haha fml.

Really? I got my PC working fine online to play games with, only tried one game so far though, a random offroader called Fuel...

Tempted to buy some PC games instead of xbox games but then i'm only gonna be here till the end of june...
Reply 53
All the games I've tried have been working fine (PC). At peak times it can lag sometimes, but for the most part it's fine.
Reply 54
I'm gunna complain if they stop me playing online. Just because we go to uni, doesn't mean we have to live in the 80s, in this day and age we should be able to play online games (I use it as a way of staying in contact with some of my old friends) and for bbc iplayer.
Reply 55
Original post by Joe2911
I'm gunna complain if they stop me playing online. Just because we go to uni, doesn't mean we have to live in the 80s, in this day and age we should be able to play online games (I use it as a way of staying in contact with some of my old friends) and for bbc iplayer.

Go ahead and try, it doesn't get anywhere. When i asked they just said "it uses too much bandwidth", when i pointed out the thousands of people on iplayer/youtube uses up a hell of a lot more bandwidth then she said "i dunno, it;s the rules"...

Only have it until end of june next year when we have to move out anyway, no big deal.

All bbc iplayer/torrents etc work fine...
Reply 56
I've managed to get a couple of online games to work: Most steam games seem to work as well as League of Legends, Medal of Honor and until a few days ago LotRO which is now kicking up "proxy errors". Nothing we can do about it I guess, apart from find different games that do work!
Reply 57
Original post by MHorman
Go ahead and try, it doesn't get anywhere. When i asked they just said "it uses too much bandwidth", when i pointed out the thousands of people on iplayer/youtube uses up a hell of a lot more bandwidth then she said "i dunno, it;s the rules"...

Only have it until end of june next year when we have to move out anyway, no big deal.

All bbc iplayer/torrents etc work fine...

Group protest, I want Black Ops online xD
Reply 58
Black Ops is awesome baby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending