The Student Room Group

Promissory Estoppel - Help me please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hey mate, I'm really stuck with this mooting :/ I've got the same moot and it's in two days and I'm not very well off. If you could please send me your skeleton argument and speech, I would be grateful to you all my life. I've already drafted my skeleton and speech. Could you reply me ASAP
Original post by alisonxox
Hi,

I have a moot which i have posted below on promissory estoppel, and i think the facts are quite like this one. I am also for the repellents (Mr Black), and it is ground 2 i am struggling on so much. Would it be ok if you could send me you're skeleton and bundle? of if not would anyone be able to help me with my moot on grounds 2 of appeal to the supreme court? Thank you so much

Alright Appellant
v
Black Applicant
Alan Alright is a teacher. For some time he has been interested in property development. He has
been very successful at finding run down properties and quickly developing them for sale at a
substantial profit. In February 2005 Alan found what he believed to be a property ripe for developing.
He decided to employ Brian Black, a local builder, to help with the restoration of the property. Brian
told Alan that the work would cost £18,000, this included labour and materials. Alan accepted Brian’s
quote on the proviso that the building works would be finished by 5th April. Alan told Brian that the
property had to be ready by that date because rather than sell the property he was going to let it to a
business as a ‘corporate let’. He was expecting to get £1,200 per week rent for the newly furbished
luxury flat.
Brian started work mid February. Unfortunately due to bad weather and his plasterer, Chris, having to
go into hospital for an operation, Brian realised that it would be unlikely that he would finish the job by
5th April. He informed Alan that in order to finish the work on time he would have to pay his existing
men overtime and employ a new plasterer to replace Chris. In all he would have to raise the contract
price by £5,000. Although Alan could see his profit dwindling he was more concerned that the flat
would not be ready for his first tenant to move in and so he reluctantly agreed.
Brian completed the project by the 2nd April and sent Alan his bill for £23, 000. Alan said that due to
financial difficulties he could only afford to pay £20,000. Brian thought he better accept the £20,000 in
case he ended up with nothing at all. Alan sent Brian a cheque for the £20,000 together with a bottle
of wine as a thank-you.
In July 2005 Brian heard that in May 2005 Alan had taken all his family to Florida for a three-week
holiday. Brian asked Alan for the £3,000 balance plus interest to date. Alan refused to pay the
outstanding £3,000. Brian decided to sue Alan for the outstanding amount plus interest.
At first instance, Deed J held that Alan should pay the £3,000 to Brian plus interest. Alan appealed to
the Court of Appeal (Civil Division) on the basis that Deed J Erred by (1) not applying the authority of
Pinnel’s Case (1602) correctly and (2) by not applying the doctrine of equitable promissory estoppel to
the instant facts correctly.
The Court of Appeal held that the court of first instance had not erred in its judgement. Alan has
decided to appeal to the Supreme Court.
The following two grounds of appeal will be argued by the appellant:

1. That at common law the payment of a lesser sum together with some additional goods, in this case a bottle of wine, is sufficient consideration for a creditor’s promise to forego the balance;
2. That the doctrine of promissory estoppel should operate to prevent the respondent recovering the rest of the money.

Hey im doing this moot, do you have a bundle or anything that can help me, im the respondent but focusing on point 1
Reply 22
anyone would be able to send me the bundle and skeleton argument? I need help!! Thank you!
Reply 23
Hi everybody,

I have a moot next Thursday with this exact questions however, I am representing the appellant. I'd much rather be representing respondent; finding it very hard to find decent ground for the appellant. Can anyone help me? Either if they've represented appellant or if they remember any of the arguments used by their appellants when they were respondents??

MANY THANKS,

distressed student.
Reply 24
Original post by Jakko247
I have the exact same question for mooting at QMUL :smile:
I am a respondent!

Hi everybody,

I have a moot next Thursday with this exact questions however, I am representing the appellant. I'd much rather be representing respondent; finding it very hard to find decent ground for the appellant. Can anyone help me? Either if they've represented appellant or if they remember any of the arguments used by their appellants when they were respondents??

MANY THANKS,

distressed student.
Reply 25
Promissory estoppel requirement would help
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello, I am having the same Ms. Fisher scenario moot (promissory estoppel argument), can anyone tell me their arguments for Ms Fisher or the South Thameside Construction Ltd?

Thank you in advance,
Alina
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending