The Student Room Group

Can u get into MPharm without Chemistry?

Really want to do pharmacy and pharmacology but I'm not doing A-Level chemistry, I got a 5 in GCSE Chemistry (Triple Science). At sixth form I'm doing BTEC human biology alongside BTEC Health and social care with BTEC applied science. Could possibly drop applied science for maths A-level as the 2 subjects clash on the timetable. Also doing core maths as an extra qualification.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Noah.Y
Really want to do pharmacy and pharmacology but I'm not doing A-Level chemistry, I got a 5 in GCSE Chemistry (Triple Science). At sixth form I'm doing BTEC human biology alongside BTEC Health and social care with BTEC applied science. Could possibly drop applied science for maths A-level as the 2 subjects clash on the timetable. Also doing core maths as an extra qualification.

I'd do chemistry during a gap year or outside college where possible. It's pretty essential for pharmacy.
If you're doing BTEC, do it in applied science and make sure it's an extended diploma.

If your college needs you to have a certain grade in GCSE, then I would go the extra mile to resit the GCSE in order to qualify for the A Level. If they refuse still, then do it during a gap year or outside college.

I have seen at least one MPharm degree that just accept BTEC (applied science, not health and social care), but many would be asking for A Level chemistry on top.
The list of accredited MPharm degrees are listed on the following page: https://www.pharmacyregulation.org/education/approved-providers-education-and-training/accredited-mpharm-degrees (the degree needs to be accredited in order for you to go into pharmacy professionally).
Although the requirements for pharmacology degrees are more flexible (i.e. doesn't need to be accredited), they are still somewhat similar to those for pharmacy i.e. BTEC in Applied Science extended diploma or A Level Chemistry required.

If both options are outside of your means, then you can look into Access to HE diploma at some point, focusing on biology and chemistry units. However, this remains a last resort. A Levels is the first option where possible.
Reply 2
Nothing for human biology or maths? By the way im doing level 3 extended certificate i think.

In my sixth form you cant retake chemistry.
Reply 3
Im super confused right now, it seems really hard for me to get in?

I cant do anything really as im doing level 3 extended certificate?
Reply 4
The only way you might be able to do it is with a Year 0 Foundation year that makes up for the lack of Chemistry A level.
That would make your degree 1+4 years which means bigger student debt. Or, you could do A level Chemistry in a gap year.

3 BTEC certificates is not 'academically rigorous' enough for Pharmacy - especially since there is obvious subject overlap with Human Biology and Applied Sciences.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending