The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cast.Iron
I'm sure that you did better than you think!

How did you find the Cam Law Test?

If only that were true! Have you been interviewed or is yours yet to come?

Pembroke set the comprehensive style test which included one question split into two parts. It wasn't great, simply because it was unlike any style of question i had answered before and the passage was quite difficult to understand in limited time! I would have preferred the essay style which i know other colleges set but I gave it my best shot so i guess theres not much more that i could have done!
Original post by 24craigour
Leaving tomorrow. This is making me excited...

:biggrin: Me too! Packing at the moment! I'm actually not too scared at this moment in time, I mean, if it does go horrendously, I'm never going to see them again right?

Original post by Lulope
My parents don't come in my room any more due to it's current state. In my defence you can see the floor now :biggrin:

Aw that sounds fun. Luckily none of my friends are 18 yet so I don't have that problem but I'm one of the last to turn 18 so :angry: Panto was really good (:

Yeah it's kinda weird that there's people who I speak to every day that I just might never speak to again. But I guess that's the way it goes and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm 'friends' with lots of people who I'm not really friends with.

You can see the floor of mine too, but only because my room's massive :p: The thing is, 90% (ish) of the sheets and books strewn around on the floor is maths related!

Me too! I skipped a year of school and so I turn 18 in September, still, I'm legal for freshers week thank goodness! :biggrin:

:yep: I guess you know who your real friends are, the people who you'r really close to. I'm really quite looking forwards to this 'new start' business :biggrin:

Original post by mintaero25
I went for NatSci at Jeeebuz (Jesus) College bell I loved Bristol so I'll probably put that as an insurance but if Cambo reject me then then it'll probably be my firm!

Do it! :biggrin: (I may be ever so slightly bias due to growing up in Bristol) Have you heard from Durham yet?
Reply 1982
Original post by Lyam
Well, without being too specific because this is disallowed on TSR, I have no idea. The general interview was so nice and the lady who interviewed me was wonderful and seemed interested in me and what I'd been doing. I had two tests also, I have no idea how my essay went and I ran out of time, having only answered 14/18 questions. I wish I had paid more attention to the time, however, I didn't want to guess the last few answers because they will either know what I've done or think I've thought about them and got them wrong. In some ways I'd rather have, say, 12/18 than 13/18 but in the former case have only answered 14 questions.

Now, as for my subject interview, I was very nervous and under the table I kept folding my gloves in various ways which I had previously thought impossible. In retrospect, the questions were not so difficult but I became really quite nervous, did not answer them as well as I perhaps could have and left the room kicking myself. My interviewers were both lovely and very understanding of my nerves. In my mock interview I came across far better, but this is to be expected I suppose, in the sense that I was able to fully lay out my thought process through its logical processes and support my conclusions with reasons. I also wish they'd attacked me a little more, but they were too nice! I know I'm half insane for complaining about having such lovely interviewers, but I was expecting to be antagonised to some degree in order that I may respond and defend myself. I must be the only applicant complaining about nice interviewers! Sadly, being back at Christ's reminded me how beautiful it is. The only thing I regret is messing my second interview up and more than likely throwing it away!

not at all! I said exactly the same thing about my interviewers who were too nice!!
Glad everyone's interviews generally went well. For those whose interview didn't, just remember that the interview is just one of many criteria that they look at when deciding to give offers or not. (I need to keep reminding myself of this as my interviews weren't as good as I'd of liked in some areas :s-smilie:). Now the looong month's wait begins!

Original post by clare_phoebe
Hello there, I'm rather new around here. :smile: I had an interview for History at Newnham earlier this week and forgot to ask when offers/rejections are given out!! I think I heard someone mention 5th January 2011 as the date, but it would be great if someone could confirm the date, please. :smile:

Welcome! Yep, you'll hear back in early January, usually around the 5th-7th :h:
Original post by Inspiration18
If only that were true! Have you been interviewed or is yours yet to come?

Pembroke set the comprehensive style test which included one question split into two parts. It wasn't great, simply because it was unlike any style of question i had answered before and the passage was quite difficult to understand in limited time! I would have preferred the essay style which i know other colleges set but I gave it my best shot so i guess theres not much more that i could have done!

Mine is on Monday, so it's easy for me to remain supportive :tongue:.

Ah unlucky, I have a sneaky feeling that my college (Emma) uses the comprehension question as well, which I am dire at! So much reading! How many pages did you end up writing?
Original post by Goldfishy
Glad everyone's interviews generally went well. For those whose interview didn't, just remember that the interview is just one of many criteria that they look at when deciding to give offers or not. (I need to keep reminding myself of this as my interviews weren't as good as I'd of liked in some areas :s-smilie:). Now the looong month's wait begins!

Welcome! Yep, you'll hear back in early January, usually around the 5th-7th :h:

Early January? Wow. That really isn't that long . . .
Original post by Cast.Iron
Mine is on Monday, so it's easy for me to remain supportive :tongue:.

Ah unlucky, I have a sneaky feeling that my college (Emma) uses the comprehension question as well, which I am dire at! So much reading! How many pages did you end up writing?

Good Luck, I wish you a better interview experience than i had! I had six hours to kill after my interviews (before my coach journey home) so i gave myself a mini-tour of Cambridge and I must say that Emma is a very pretty college!
That's that main dislike I had of the comprehension questions, the fact that the extracts were so long and complex that it was difficult to keep referring back to them and include as much as possible. I think I must have written about 3 pages in total for both parts. From talking to other people, the number of pages people had written varied greatly but that obviously depends on handwriting sizes as well!
Leaving tomorrow for Emma interview on Monday! :/
Nervous as hell.
Um, perhaps a stupid question...but did anyone have a really bad cold during their interview? My voice has gone scratchy and is prone to coughing fits... *damn you winter* Are bottles of water allowed in the interview/test rooms?
Also, I want to bring my laptop with me (along with the 10 BOOKS I'm lugging in my suitcase...last minute prep ftw... :s-smilie: )..bags and stuff are safe in waiting room right?
Original post by BerryNice
Nervous as hell.
Um, perhaps a stupid question...but did anyone have a really bad cold during their interview? My voice has gone scratchy and is prone to coughing fits... *damn you winter* Are bottles of water allowed in the interview/test rooms?
Also, I want to bring my laptop with me (along with the 10 BOOKS I'm lugging in my suitcase...last minute prep ftw... :s-smilie: )..bags and stuff are safe in waiting room right?

I did and yes they are. :smile:
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I did and yes they are. :smile:

And did you burst into a coughing fit mid-interview? :/
Hope it went well!
Hope it went well!

A little discrete cough here and there. :p:
It went alright I thought. As with everything, it could have been better but still not too bad.
Good luck.
I had essay :P
4+ pages with humongous handwriting
lol I really hope my GCSEs wont screw me over
What was with the whole interview thing being pretty tough anyway?
Good job on your interviews! (^_^) I'm very, very proud of you guys.

What are these essays all about, anyway? I'm curious.
Nervous as hell.

Well I wish you the best of luck, you should be allowed to bring water in, after all they want you to feel comfortable to make sure that you work to your full potential (For example, in my interview, I asked at one point for them to get me a fine felt tip, not on the same extremity, but they do understand scenarios, they are human) If anything, if you try to stay calm then you should be able to perform better. Good luck :biggrin:
hopefully you do hear early january. last year it snowed hard and some letters were delayed.. n'am sayin'.
Original post by shannon14
Really? Did you see many other people for English interviews? It's good that you enjoyed it! That's too bad :frown:! Did you get to go to Starbucks? I'm glad that I'm arriving early so I can see it all! :smile:

I am SUPER excited! I don't think that I can do much more! I am kind of worried about the chemistry interview.. But they don't really ask A level stuff straight out do they??? I REALLY hope not! The LC course is completely different! Oh Jesus, I'm getting nervous about it now!!!

Yeah really, it was wierd how different they were. I saw quite a few, there were apparently about 9 of us there for English and two of the girls I stayed with most of the day who were lovely :smile:. I didn't go to Starbucks haha, I think you're much more excited about Starbucks than anyone else I've met :tongue:.

I'm glad your excited! Don't worry too much, every interview is different and you can't know what they might ask you. You could prepare absolutely everything and still not use anything you've prepared! So don't worry, you'll be great!
Nervous as hell.

Bottles of water are allowed in the test rooms and I'd expect in the interview. I had a HUGE coughing fit in one of my interviews and the interviewer had to go get me some water. I literally couldn't breathe it was awful! So I'd say take water with you just in case, I was lucky that they had water.
I took my laptop and left it in the quiet room with the rest of my stuff (I only had one bag) and it was quite safe, but they did have a specific locked room for luggage that lots of people used if they had suitcases etc.

Hope it went well!

Yep, this was me! :tongue:
I'm leaving for my interview tomorrow... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Does anybody have any last minute hints or tips?
Hope it went well!

This is going to happen to me! It happened during my mock one and I just said "excuse me", coughed into a tissue and then "sorry" after! They said to do that if it happens in the real one!
I'm leaving for my interview tomorrow... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Does anybody have any last minute hints or tips?

This is going to happen to me! It happened during my mock one and I just said "excuse me", coughed into a tissue and then "sorry" after! They said to do that if it happens in the real one!

You'll be brilliant!!! :smile: Good luck. Hope you get the flights okay and everything goes brilliantly.
And I had a huge coughing fit it was really bad and I couldn't breathe but they were really good about it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending