The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doughnuts!!
Ven though we're all getting offers from Cambidge (:crossedf:), how will you react if you get rejected?

I'm not going to be rejected but if say, hypothetically speaking, it did happen it would take me a day to stop being angry then until I start at Imperial to actually get over it.

And Cambridge really is quite important, I mean, I spent so long preparing for and actually at the interview. If I don't get in it would just show that I'm not one of the best which would be quite a big blow for me to take.

EDIT: Why is everyone negging me? There's nothing wrong without being really confident.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by broadwayrachael
We should make an awesomeface balloon next year, once we get our offers :tongue: (god, I hope we both get offers!!!!)

Sounds like yours went really well! Congratulations :smile: whatever, the outcome, at least we enjoyed being there for a short period of time.. :cry2:

I am liking this plan. I don't know, I flit between "yeah they went well" to obscene nitpicking when I think about it, which thankfully isn't that often :tongue: and if you fought your corner in the face of an academic barrage then they're probably going to have been impressed :smile:

It's true, we got to be at Emma for some time... :h::bawling::hugs:
Original post by Gooner231
I am liking this plan. I don't know, I flit between "yeah they went well" to obscene nitpicking when I think about it, which thankfully isn't that often :tongue: and if you fought your corner in the face of an academic barrage then they're probably going to have been impressed :smile:

It's true, we got to be at Emma for some time... :h::bawling::hugs:

Excellent :tongue: then we have a plan! I hope you're creative, because I dropped art for a reason :biggrin:

I'm clinging to that hope, and at the same time whenever anyone mentions it I almost burst into tears with sheer disappointment! I don't know what to think! It's good you're putting it out of your mind :smile: wish I could do that.. :tongue:

Ah Emma, we love you dearly.. :cry2:
Ven though we're all getting offers from Cambidge (:crossedf:), how will you react if you get rejected? I'm just asking because I know that Cambridge is a dream for many people and is something that many of us have been working towards for years.

Personally, if I were to get rejected I'd get over it in 20 mins or so since Cambridge is not the be all and end all. This is despite me aiming for Cambridge since I was in early year 10/late year 9. :moon:

Spoiler

That's a good attitude - you're completely right :smile: in fact, after I came back from the Durham offer-holders open day, I actually thought to myself "You know what? I'll be bummed if I miss my grades for Cambridge, but I'll have this instead, and this is amazing"

There are so many other awesome unis, and you'll have a brilliant time wherever you go - after all, university's what you make of it!
It would be absolutely crushing for a while and then slowly dissipate, punctuated by many could've beens whirring round my head. Probably. I only really decided in early-mid year 12 so I don't have the long-term ambition dimension as much as you or some others might have, but then again it has just felt right every time that I've been there. I don't know. However, if I then got an offer from Durham soon after it would probably go away fairly quickly... I think it does depend on how other choices go/what situation you're in in that respect.

That seems to be the reaction that many other people would have. Your interview sounds like it went really well so I doubt that you'll end up in that situation. Though Durham wouldn't be bad as compensation.

Original post by neesh123
I'm not going to be rejected but if say, hypothetically speaking, it did happen it would take me a day to stop being angry then until I start at Imperial to actually get over it.

And Cambridge really is quite important, I mean, I spent so long preparing for and actually at the interview. If I don't get in it would just show that I'm not one of the best which would be quite a big blow for me to take.

Cool story, bro.
Original post by kayla:)
I've been telling myself I've already been rejected, so when I am, I don't care cos I've known it already. Works for me. I'm concentrating on making sure if I get another 2 interviews that they go swimmingly :smile: I only actually thought of Cam this Jan when I went for the CUSU Shadow Scheme :biggrin: Cos I never wanted to go, but seeing what the lectures were like made me love it :smile: Especially with the supervisions, they were really good, especially the medical ethics one I went to which was very interesting, and even though I was there to observe they were still really nice to me , asking me questions. But I've had my moments of Loving and Hating Cambridge, from thinking no way will I get a place -the teaching isn't right for me, to Maybe I can- so many opportunities to do different things there, intercalate etc. Then back to the interview - I wouldn't wanna go there anyway. It's a mixed roller-coaster for me. However my photo is still on the cusu site, so I'll always be a part of Cambridge :smile:

Awww, that's sweet. My friends went on the CUSU scheme and they all really liked it! Though ironically, none of them ended up applying. My feelings change every day as well.
That seems to be the reaction that many other people would have. Your interview sounds like it went really well so I doubt that you'll end up in that situation. Though Durham wouldn't be bad as compensation.

Truth be told, I would be really really happy with an offer from Durham regardless of Cambridge (but then again, I'm saying that now :tongue:) and yeah it felt like it did and then it felt like it mightn't have so I've basically tried to keep it out of my mind and wait for the definitive response.
I don't think I've heard about your interview but from stuff I've seen on here I reckon you've got a really good chance to realise that dream :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Excellent :tongue: then we have a plan! I hope you're creative, because I dropped art for a reason :biggrin:

I'm clinging to that hope, and at the same time whenever anyone mentions it I almost burst into tears with sheer disappointment! I don't know what to think! It's good you're putting it out of your mind :smile: wish I could do that.. :tongue:

Ah Emma, we love you dearly.. :cry2:

Ehehehe well... my creative stuff is in writing and photography, so unless I use a print or craft the shapes out of tightly packed letters/essays/poems we may have a problem :wink:

It just makes it easier. May as well wait for the definitive. And yes Emma we love you dearly... maybe if the people don't let us in, the ducks will :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Ehehehe well... my creative stuff is in writing and photography, so unless I use a print or craft the shapes out of tightly packed letters/essays/poems we may have a problem :wink:

It just makes it easier. May as well wait for the definitive. And yes Emma we love you dearly... maybe if the people don't let us in, the ducks will :rolleyes:

Hahaa I like that idea! Sounds.. poetic :tongue: You write poems then?

I loved the ducks! So cute :smile: and so friendly! They embodied the spirit of Emma quite fantastically :smile:
Original post by kayla:)
That is madness! How many people in your School/College? I'm in a college, with about 3000 students, and I think about 500-700 doing A-Levels, and we had 12 applicants, 6 Cam, 6 Ox, and I thought THAT was lots....

I'm similar to your school I think applicant wise. We had all our Cam get interviews, and I think all our Ox bar at least one bless him. We had about the same number apply this year as last, but the man who runs it all for us said this year everyone is realistic, unlike years in the past. I don't know what the stats are for places though cos I don't want to ask incase they got rejected and it upsets them. So I'm not too sure.

120ish people in the sixth form, 41 applicants. I think that is probably a record, but then we probably have a record number of rejections for Oxford as well :/.

Original post by Jing_jing
Yeah, we go back the day we get our Cambridge letters so that'll be a fun start of term! My school day ends at 1 so I'll probably rush back home/dwardle back home in dread :biggrin:

:biggrin: I have an exam in January for geography too, think I will start revising for it after FP2 exam is over, I honestly can't face the thought of geography revision... even thinking about it makes me turn to the chocolate biscuits :tongue:

I have school till the end of the day, including an economics mock and a history mock, even though we don't have a Jan exam in history :rolleyes:.
Hahaa I like that idea! Sounds.. poetic :tongue: You write poems then?

I loved the ducks! So cute :smile: and so friendly! They embodied the spirit of Emma quite fantastically :smile:

I dabble. I often have weird ideas for images/poem ideas at random times so occasionally they get put on paper :tongue: but I've written a few yeah. Haven't done for ages because of various other more important work-related things but I'm trying to get back into it. Or will after January exams.

I know! They're amazing :biggrin: when I walked across the Paddock for my two interviews they were in a large group on one side of the pond because the other half was either frozen or being cleaned or something, I can't remember which. And were definitely a swing when I first chose :cool:

So, if I'm going to craft one out of poetry or photos, what are you going to do? Haha
Aww, I appear to have missed out on the cake. :frown:

Oh well, I'll definitely have some on the 5th, either in celebration or some sort of comfort-eating situation...
Reply 3991
I can't believe how many people apply from your schools! In my year of about 150 there's just me. :frown: And for the last 2 years there's been no one. But then Oxbridge was never mentioned as an option for us so I guess it's to be expected.

Ven though we're all getting offers from Cambidge (:crossedf:), how will you react if you get rejected? I'm just asking because I know that Cambridge is a dream for many people and is something that many of us have been working towards for years.

Personally, if I were to get rejected I'd get over it in 20 mins or so since Cambridge is not the be all and end all. This is despite me aiming for Cambridge since I was in early year 10/late year 9. :moon:

Spoiler

I really, really don't know. The more I think about Cambridge, the more I want it. I've been told numerous times that this isn't the case, but to me not getting into Cambridge seems an awful lot like failure. :frown: I like to think I'd get over it because I'm not one to mope but it would upset me for a while. If St Andrews accepted me I reckon I'd be okay though (:
Original post by Ray_Han
120ish people in the sixth form, 41 applicants. I think that is probably a record, but then we probably have a record number of rejections for Oxford as well :/.

Sounds similar to what my school was like. 120 students. 40ish Oxbridge applicants. 20 got offers :smile:

In terms of our guests :tongue:, since you have already been offered tea and cake, I was trying to think of what else we could offer you as a welcome gift! I came up with balloons :smile: everyone likes balloons, right?!

I have decided that I officially love you for those balloons and you clearly deserve an offer just based on how good your balloon researching abilities are! :biggrin:

Original post by mintaero25
This thread is like a family reunion! Ahh, I feel like the grandparents are home! ;-) you lucky Cambridge freshers

And shhh you...we're not that old. I haven't even got a grey hair yet! :p:

Oh and...
Original post by cpdavis
Don't worry Charles, this lot are quite nice actually :biggrin:

Damn straight. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 03jenniferp
Sounds similar to what my school was like. 120 students. 40ish Oxbridge applicants. 20 got offers :smile:

Did you go to a private school? 1 in 6 is quite good.
(edited 13 years ago)
Did you go to a private school? 1 in 6 is quite good.

No it wasn't a private school :smile:
Original post by 03jenniferp
No it wasn't a private school :smile:

Out of interest, can you tell who went to private school and who didn't now you're at Cambridge?
Out of interest, can you tell who went to private school and who didn't now you're at Cambridge?

Sometimes, but not really. It doesn't really come up much tbh. There's a real mix of social backgrounds and it doesn't always correspond to whether you went to a private/state school - especially because of lots of grammar school students.
The thing is, there's no time to categorise people by their "school type" and to do so is like really pointless anyway. Oh and there definitely isn't the whole "stuck-up private school student" thing either.
Everyone is pretty laid back :smile:
Ven though we're all getting offers from Cambidge (:crossedf:), how will you react if you get rejected?

Now that all the Oxford replies have been handed out, the 'buzz' going round my teachers and friends has died out can because a lot of capable candidates were rejected, although there were some underdogs in there that made me feel complacent... :colondollar:

However looking at the academia of some of that people that I've come across on TSR (100 UMS in virtually every subject!!):K: I realised that my application, although not terrible, does not make me stand out enough for me to realistically be considered for an offer.

I am not saying that I will DEFINITELY get rejected, (although I think we all share the same pessimism on this thread at this stage?!), but I have accepted that if I do get rejected, at the end of the day, I've seen better applicants rejected from Oxbridge before (some pre-interview) so I have hopefully prepared myself well for the inevitable shock, whatever the outcome. :crossedf:

(I may be singing a very different tune this time next week when I've actually been rejected though... prepare for a lot of drunken venting on here!! :coma::redface:)
Reply 3998

Spoiler

The worst thing about being rejected will probably be to know that I actually could have made it. I fear I will be rejected because of some really unnecessary, silly mistakes in my interview, when I was asked about things I could normally talk for hours about, but was too nervous to really say and explain them in detail. What I actually did was stuttering some incomprehensible crap, or thinking the right thing but saying the other. Meh. I should have slept more the night before the interview.
Then there will be some days of self-pity, followed by a period of putting lipstick on the pig and finally, as I'm applying from university, studying hard so I will be good enough to come back as a graduate.

(I'd be all for reapplying, but oh the fees.)
Reply 3999
Original post by redbeanmochi
Aww, I appear to have missed out on the cake. :frown:

Oh well, I'll definitely have some on the 5th, either in celebration or some sort of comfort-eating situation...

No-one should ever miss out on cake!

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending