The Student Room Group

Kitten going after my Hamster

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Some of the responses lead me to believe that people genuinely think cats are supposed to be 'toys' that aren't supposed to have natural predatory instincts :facepalm:

Anyway, I would simply apply some lemon juice to the area around the cage or move it into another room. Besides that, there's not a huge amount you can do, although I personally don't see much point in keeping a hamster.

I'm sure most dogs would love to kill and eat your cat - it's just their natural instinct. Does this mean dog owners should let their dogs do this?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Yes. Quote. "Cats are gits" Unquote.

Just to add, there's nothing particularly moral about keeping a dog contained within the parameters of a downstairs area either. Ironically, the biggest animal lovers are those who believe animals shouldn't be kept in captivity, regardless of how 'cute and fluffy' they are.

One opposite example is generally regarded as an anomaly

I don't know how you can argue that someone is a 'bigger animal lover' than someone else. It is a slippery slope argument to suggest that keeping a dog 'captive' as a much loved pet in your home, walking it every day and feeding it is immoral.

Do you even have pets?
Reply 22
Just keep the hamster and cat away from each other. I had several hamsters as a child and we've always had cats. Not once did a cat eat my hamster. Don't let the hamster out of the cage unsupervised or when the cat is in the room - close the door or something!

'Course, I did have one hamster who liked to pull out my cat's fur (he'd curl up next to the cage to sleep) and use it to line his nest...
Reply 23
Original post by whitepearlbaby
Citronella oil or anything that smells orangey/lemoney.

the best is Bitter Apple spray, available at your local pet store or veterinary clinic
Original post by Einheri
I'm sure most dogs would love to kill and eat your cat - it's just their natural instinct. Does this mean dog owners should let their dogs do this?

That's not the case I was making, you idiot.
Reply 25
jumpingjesusholycow

Well then maybe you should have been more clear, condescender.
Reply 26
No I don't see why a spray bottle would be humane considering the kitten is learning it's hunting skills at this age and it's just instinct!
Better to avoid temptation and remove the cage to another room.

I personally don't see much point in keeping a hamster.

I agree with you in relation to cages. Hamsters are kept in far too small cages but we seem to think it's ok because we've done it for so long. If you go on any reptuable hamster forum and look up their cages they are always so big and exciting for the hamster- tbh pet store cages should be banned unless for temporary use, it's really not fair.

That was a huge diversion :p:
Keep them in seperate rooms. You can't trust the kitten to be alone with a hamster in the longterm. I had rats and cats (one of them being bloodthirsty, too) for about 6 years, and without a single incident, simply by always keeping the room with the rats in, shut.
It's instinct, built deeply inside. Don't risk your hamster just for ease's sake, it's not fair.
And on a side note, once your kitten realises that when you're not around, it's free to do whatever it likes without your spray bottle (which I disagree with - if you're gonna train, do it properly), game over!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but it is stupid to have a cat and a hamster. My friend tried keeping her rabbit apart from hers and it got to them eventually, just one day when she was forgetful for a second. I would hate to see anything happen to it, and it would be a very stressful for the hamster too, think about it...
Reply 29

Then what point were you making with "some of the responses lead me to believe that people genuinely think cats . . . aren't supposed to have natural predatory instincts"? It certainly sounded like you were saying "if you don't want your cat to eat your hamster then don't have a hamster". And there's no need for insults, you mongoloid rapebaby.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
Then what point were you making with "some of the responses lead me to believe that people genuinely think cats . . . aren't supposed to have natural predatory instincts"? It certainly sounded like you were saying "if you don't want your cat to eat your hamster then don't have a hamster". And there's no need for insults, you mongoloid rapebaby.

I was making the point that some people expect cats to be their 'toys'. Learn to read.
Im having this same problem right now with a kitten and a chinchilla stuck in the same room, so tempting to put the chinchilla in a glass cage but the ventilation gets me
I would never keep my cats in the same room as my hamster - he’s just dinner to them😅

Quick Reply

Latest