The Student Room Group

Anyone had a PGCE interview at Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by quechua
Yes, sorry, wednesday of the next week. Thanks :smile: I'll be doing secondary MFL. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I thought you meant that, just me double checking hehe :smile:.
Thanks! :smile: Not sure what I'll do if i don't get a place, my second choice is already full! I'd have to think up a plan B and reapply somewhere next year I suppose!
Reply 81
Original post by Rachel-88
How long did you have to wait to hear that you had a place? I only had my interview on Friday and they said two weeks, but I bet I'll keep checking track anyway!

it took 12 days for mine to come though !!
but mine was just before Christmas, so I think they were really bust then.
Original post by baie
Good luck to you !, Ive already had my interview and got my place, feel free to PM me with any questions :smile:

That's really kind, thanks very much! Congrats on your place!
Reply 83
Original post by baie
it took 12 days for mine to come though !!
but mine was just before Christmas, so I think they were really bust then.

Ahh not too bad though, 12 days. Which colleges have you applied for? I put down Homerton as 1 and Hughes Hall as 2.
Reply 84
Ahh not too bad though, 12 days. Which colleges have you applied for? I put down Homerton as 1 and Hughes Hall as 2.

the same as you! The have not told me which one I will be at yet though. So I will probably have to search for a house by the time they do !
Reply 85
Original post by baie
the same as you! The have not told me which one I will be at yet though. So I will probably have to search for a house by the time they do !

Yeah you will do, there's no chance of getting in at Homerton unless you gave a medical reason for needing to live on site as there are only something like 30 rooms available for PGCE students. Best bet for getting accommodation is putting Hughes as number 1 as they have a lot more! Also Lucy Cavendish guarantee a room for a year if you get a confirmed place by Sepetmber 1st, but there won't be many PGCE students there at all so be a bit out of it! That's only mature women women though, so probably be a different atmosphere. At our interview we were advised to put the choices that we did anyway as Homerton gives the most support for PGCE and Hughes is also good.
Reply 86
Just found out today that I got an interview for Early Years. I'm so excited!
Reply 87
Yeah you will do, there's no chance of getting in at Homerton unless you gave a medical reason for needing to live on site as there are only something like 30 rooms available for PGCE students. Best bet for getting accommodation is putting Hughes as number 1 as they have a lot more! Also Lucy Cavendish guarantee a room for a year if you get a confirmed place by Sepetmber 1st, but there won't be many PGCE students there at all so be a bit out of it! That's only mature women women though, so probably be a different atmosphere. At our interview we were advised to put the choices that we did anyway as Homerton gives the most support for PGCE and Hughes is also good.

ahh, well I am glad I put them then, Is there a system to help you find other students to live with , do you know? :confused:
Reply 88
Original post by baie
ahh, well I am glad I put them then, Is there a system to help you find other students to live with , do you know? :confused:

I'm not sure but my friend who did the course last year joined a facebook group for students looking for houses in Cambridge. She said there were a few groups on facebook for things like that. She ended up going into a house with a few others all on different courses, she met with them in town somewhere first before she signed any contract. Some of them had lived there for a while already and said they liked the house and it had no problems so that was a plus. It was quite good because they were individual contracts as all the rooms had locks on the doors, so she was independent from the others even though she was sharing with them.
Might be an idea as you have an offer to ring up the uni and ask advice, there might be some sort of system in place!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 89
I found out on Friday that I didn't get in :frown:
Reply 90
Did any of you have to bring your GCSE transcripts with you to the interview? I am not from the UK, but have unofficial copies of my high school and university transcripts (just scanned copies, nothing with a seal). Will this be a problem? I've definitely done enough science, mathematics and English to meet the minimum requirements, but wanted to know whether I need more official documentation. Thanks in advance!
Reply 91
Original post by tem11
Did any of you have to bring your GCSE transcripts with you to the interview? I am not from the UK, but have unofficial copies of my high school and university transcripts (just scanned copies, nothing with a seal). Will this be a problem? I've definitely done enough science, mathematics and English to meet the minimum requirements, but wanted to know whether I need more official documentation. Thanks in advance!

The email I got told me to bring photocopies and the originals of my degree certificate, GCSE English, Maths and Science certificates and birth certificate. Think you'd need to get hold of the certificates but it's worth ringing up admissions and asking :smile:
Reply 92
I'm not sure but my friend who did the course last year joined a facebook group for students looking for houses in Cambridge. She said there were a few groups on facebook for things like that. She ended up going into a house with a few others all on different courses, she met with them in town somewhere first before she signed any contract. Some of them had lived there for a while already and said they liked the house and it had no problems so that was a plus. It was quite good because they were individual contracts as all the rooms had locks on the doors, so she was independent from the others even though she was sharing with them.
Might be an idea as you have an offer to ring up the uni and ask advice, there might be some sort of system in place!

do you think we should make a facebook group??
--- oh wait, Homerton's union of students does that usually!!
x x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 93
The email I got told me to bring photocopies and the originals of my degree certificate, GCSE English, Maths and Science certificates and birth certificate. Think you'd need to get hold of the certificates but it's worth ringing up admissions and asking :smile:

I found out on Friday that I didn't get in :frown:

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your other choices.
Reply 95
Original post by baie
do you think we should make a facebook group??
--- oh wait, Homerton's union of students does that usually!!
x x

I think they do yeah :smile: I didn't get in though :frown:. I was disappointed but got to focus on the next step now!

Original post by Affectation
Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your other choices.

Thanks :smile: Exeter was my second choice but that was full before I even had my Cambridge interview.
Reply 96
Hey,

Just wondering whether anyone has a conditional pgce offer for primary from Cambridge according to gttr website but hasn't got the "letter from the insitution" telling them what the condition is yet???!!!!

Reply 97
Original post by Figster

Original post by Figster
Hey,

Just wondering whether anyone has a conditional pgce offer for primary from Cambridge according to gttr website but hasn't got the "letter from the insitution" telling them what the condition is yet???!!!!

Hey,

I got a conditional offer yesterday :-) The letter on GTTR says that 'the offer is subject to you obtaining'. In the interview they said that undergraduates would need to get a 2.1 as a condition..... I'm guessing thats what mine is as the letter didn't say anything else.

Thanks :smile: Exeter was my second choice but that was full before I even had my Cambridge interview.

Fingers crossed for you. Don't worry. I know what it's like to be rejected - I tried for Manchester first time round and got rejected after interview. So I worked extra hard second time round and thankfully got into Cambridge (stuff you Manchester!). It's just stupidly competitive now. But hopefully it's not too late in the year for you. I know that Manchester interview throughout the year if they're of any interest to you?
If you need any advice, feel free to PM me anytime :-)
Reply 99
Original post by Laura2309
Hey,

I got a conditional offer yesterday :-) The letter on GTTR says that 'the offer is subject to you obtaining'. In the interview they said that undergraduates would need to get a 2.1 as a condition..... I'm guessing thats what mine is as the letter didn't say anything else.

Oooh congratulations Laura. Hopefully see you in September!!! When did you have your interview? I can't remember anyone's names from when I had mine (18th Jan)...so sorry if we were at the same interview!! I've already got my degree so I think my condition must be to get more experience or something. Unless they've made a mistake and didn't mean to give me an offer at all. AHHH. Lol. Hopefully we'll get our letters from the uni soon and it'll all be cleared up. Thanks for replying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending