The Student Room Group

Do Uni's have any network restrictions?

Hi

I was just wondering, do you Uni's allow you to download music/movies/games etc from the internet?

Is there a bandwidth restriction or anything?

Thanks
I've read some posts on here where people have said that their university has a bandwidth restriction. And I know that some universities don't allow online gaming because of the bandwidth that it uses.
Reply 2
Our halls internet doesn't have bandwidth restrictions, and we're allowed to play online games. However, if we're caught illegally downloading, they'll disconnect us from the network and make us pay £75 to reconnect it.

It varies from university to university. While mine is free unlimited internet in halls, a lot of my friends have restrictions placed on their internet usage.
Reply 3
I imagine most if not all universities will not want you using their internet to download illegal stuff.

That said, I attend the University of York (second year) and whilst I was in halls, I could download, torrent and play games all I wanted without a peak from the IT staff. Awesome speeds and no bandwidth restrictions either.
Depends on the Uni, my halls (private managed but official uni ones), had private internet and we had no limits at all, 2, 20 or 50 meg connections, most I did was 190GB in under 48 hours on the last weekend before I moved out.....
Original post by theronkinator
Depends on the Uni, my halls (private managed but official uni ones), had private internet and we had no limits at all, 2, 20 or 50 meg connections, most I did was 190GB in under 48 hours on the last weekend before I moved out.....

Yeh it depends on the uni, i took down about 120GB in a hour that the uni of Portsmouth without complaint. By the end of the year i filled a TB hard drive up
A lot will most definitely block illegal sites, but in terms of other restrictions its purely up to the university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending